August 2nd, 2012

'Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day' sets record, restaurant chain says

Chick-fil-A says it set a sales record on Wednesday, the day that supporters rallied around the fast-food chain amid a debate over its president's opposition to same-sex marriage.

The chain won't release sales numbers, but "we can confirm reports that it was a record-setting day," said Steve Robinson, Chick-fil-A's executive vice president of marketing.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee had called on people to buy food at the chain on Wednesday, which he dubbed "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day," after a backlash against the company and their president.

The controversy started after an interview with the fast-food restaurant chain's president and COO, Dan Cathy, appeared in The Baptist Press on July 16. He weighed in with his views on family.

"We are very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy said. "We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

On a Facebook page Huckabee created announcing the event, more than 620,000 people said they would participate.

He called for a response to a backlash against the restaurants and its president. Customers flocked to the restaurants on Wednesday, many showing their support for the chain and Cathy's opposition to same-sex marriage.

Gay rights activists are planning to hold a "national same-sex kiss day at Chick-fil-A" on Friday.

FULL STORY
soundoff (1,687 Responses)
  1. Frank

If we True Christians® allow these hell-bound gays to have the same rights as us then the next thing you know uppity negroes will be wanting to eat at the same counter and drink from the same fountain as us. Glory to Jeeesus!!

August 2, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • clakjak

my opinion, you are a d-bag

August 2, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anthony

oh Frank

August 2, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dr jimmy rustle

Lol @ gay rights people. They don't realize that the overwhelming majority of people disapprove of gay marriage and gay culture. What were they thinking making a big issue out of an opinion based comment?

They failed and failed hard.

August 2, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeeCee10000

I heard that a number of Chick Fil A workers were planning on smearing fecal matter on the sandwiches. Mmmmm. Yummmmmy!

August 2, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan smith

Just becasue a large majority agrees on a topic doesn't mean it's right. (Remember slavery, segregation, etc...?)

How does my marriage (be it straight or otherwise) affect your life in any way what-so-ever?

August 2, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • jbird68

These so called "christian" haters already tried to put gay rights to a referendum in Cali. Thats supposed to be illegal. So Cathy is getting his deserts now.

August 2, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Shari Spence

Maybe there should be a Chick-Fil-A appreciation day on a weekly basis. Apparently those of us with a different opinion on Marriage (1 man/1 woman) can peacefully express our opinion, without hate or bias, just simply show with quiet dignity what our beliefs are.

August 2, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • ARM

you are correct Shari Spence

August 2, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Just Sayn

Gays belong in the zoo.

August 2, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeeCee10000

You belong in another country like Iran.

August 2, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jbird68

As everyone knows their sandwiches are unmitigated unhealthy cr#p, dont expect a true profit bounce. Eat 5 Guys instead 🙂

August 2, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ObamaUnitl2016

Wow, TeaBags like fast food? What a shock! That must explain they're being overweight.

August 2, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chick Fool A

Thanks – I was about to make the same point. Chicken and fries scarfing people in that obesity capital known as the South oppose gay marriage. In other news, dog bites man. Mike "if its' served through a car window it isn't food" Huckabee, Mr. Weight Loss himself, shows what a hypocrite he is by supporting Chick Fil A

August 2, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. safa002

This is what the COO said:
    "We are very much supportive of the family – the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy said. "We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

Do you see any offensive word against gay people in the above paragraph?

August 2, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Me-me

And I love Chick-Fil-A!

August 2, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeeCee10000

Excellent! Now go stuff your face with their sandwiches. The sooner your kind die of heart disease the better.

August 2, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. doug

So many more Americans now know who the true intolerant bigots are. I have no problem with gay marriage, but I have a major problem with taking away one's rights and freedoms based upon their own views, views that harm no one, in other words since I believe in equal rights for all I have a moral obligation to vote Republican.

August 2, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JC

"...and we are married to our first wives."
    You divorced people are going to burn in Hell along side the gays!

August 2, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert L

Nothing was said about burning in hell. All Christians that if you repent and ask forgiveness then you are forgiven!

August 2, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. vince (black guy as well)

wow. i like the fact that black dude carrying the bible and preaching hates. hey BLACK DUDE>>> just fyi... black marriage was never approved in the early 1900s . . in fact.. black was not consider to be human being. I wish i have the power to send you back to those olden days.

August 2, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. DeeCee10000

Bigotry is a good thing, according to creatures like Dan Cathy. I think religious fanatics should be exterminated and all of their human rights taken away. What's good for Dan Cathy is good for me.

August 2, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mary

You know he was making a statement in a Baptist publication. Where is his freedom of speech. Just because he doesn't have the same views as you, you protest. Shouldn't this be a two way street?

August 2, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. clakjak

Such hate from DC

August 2, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Andy

I miss Chik-Fil-A, I really do. They have the best fries and lemonade ever. Their milkshakes (especially the peppermint/chocolate one) are fantastic. My kids love it there, and the food is reasonably healthy for fast food. Their employees are courteous to a fault and I've even met Dan Cathay, and found him to be a decent and humble man, even though I disagree with most of his political beliefs. Before yesterday, I was craving their food, but yesterday's political events "left a bad taste" for me now that the zealots have taken over my beloved restaurant and dining there has become a social/political/religious statement rather than a place to get a good, quick meal. Though it pains me to say it, I'm staying away and keeping my kids away until this ugliness goes away. Such a shame.

August 2, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • annie

no.... the zealots are threatening to take take over Chick-Fil-A on Friday. I hope that they arrest anyone showing up and not buying anything. Isn't that loitering?

I hope no CEO ever reveals a preference for blondes over brunettes and red-heads! Imagine the outrage of the 'people of other hair color'.

p.s. When President Obama was campaigning in 2008, he expressed that he was not for 'gay marriage'. Perhaps all of the gays and their supporters should boycott the elections.

August 2, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |