August 2nd, 2012

'Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day' sets record, restaurant chain says

Chick-fil-A says it set a sales record on Wednesday, the day that supporters rallied around the fast-food chain amid a debate over its president's opposition to same-sex marriage.

The chain won't release sales numbers, but "we can confirm reports that it was a record-setting day," said Steve Robinson, Chick-fil-A's executive vice president of marketing.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee had called on people to buy food at the chain on Wednesday, which he dubbed "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day," after a backlash against the company and their president.

The controversy started after an interview with the fast-food restaurant chain's president and COO, Dan Cathy, appeared in The Baptist Press on July 16. He weighed in with his views on family.

"We are very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy said. "We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

On a Facebook page Huckabee created announcing the event, more than 620,000 people said they would participate.

He called for a response to a backlash against the restaurants and its president. Customers flocked to the restaurants on Wednesday, many showing their support for the chain and Cathy's opposition to same-sex marriage.

Gay rights activists are planning to hold a "national same-sex kiss day at Chick-fil-A" on Friday.

FULL STORY
soundoff (1,687 Responses)
  1. hangdogit

A record-setting day - but for what? Heart attacks? (Deep-fried food and getting all agitated can do it.)

August 2, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Name*Lina

August 2, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Simon

For every customer they gained in that one day, they have lost another one for LIFE. Good try biggots!

August 2, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

A man that runs his private business according to his beliefs is not a bigot, but a man who tries to force acceptance onto a man's business of a lifestyle that allows traffic to go the wrong way up a one way street is more than a bigot, he ia also a bully and a sodomite.

August 2, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • mema

I doubt it matters. Texas population, 25M. Texas GLB population 600 K.

August 3, 2012 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
    • michaelw777

Oh, I see. Anyone who doesn't think like you do is a bigot. I understand now.

August 3, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DDallas

I am supporting Chick fil A because iam sick and tired of the "intolerant, tolerant liberal/Democrats" shoving gay marriage down my throat! If u don't agree w/their agenda or their president you are a hater and or racist! I am neither. What I am is a 58 year old white lesbian and conservative! Just so u know not ALL gay/lesbian people are liberal and most of us are sick to death of the crap!

August 2, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • itsJustWRONG

Thank you ma'am....I agree quit "shoving it down my throat" .

August 2, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

Really? I thought this started because Chicky Fil A (Cathy) said he was intolerent of marriage for gays. What did that have to do with the price of chicken?

August 2, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

totally agree.....GOD DESTROYED THE CITIES OF SODOM AND GAMMORHA FOR A REASON!!! What's with all these new words like role model and lbgt? God has had words for both of those for thousands of years, FALSE IDOL AND SODOMITE. If your role model isn't Jesus you are worshipping a false idol. There is no such thing as bis3xual or transgender, there is only gay or straight. A bos3xual os a gay that won't admit to being gay and a transgender is a nuetered gay freakshow.

August 2, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hugh Jass

"I am supporting Chick fil A because iam sick and tired of the "intolerant, tolerant liberal/Democrats" shoving gay marriage down my throat!" Right, you're a lesbian. Uh-huh.

August 3, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Hope

Chick Filet sounds nasty, anyway!?!??

O-O

August 2, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hugh Jass

"Chick Filet sounds nasty, anyway!?!??" They have a superior recipe for chicken sandwiches which has made them rich. They give God the credit instead of old man Truett. I used to eat there all the time, but no more.

August 3, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Hope

I mean I can kinda see how the subject came up!

😀

August 2, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel Cate

Dan Cathy made a statement that was Positive about the company's position For Marriage between a Man and a Woman. At no time did he vilify Gay People, or use any negative accusational speech. Dan Cathy and myself love all people, we are commanded to by the Bible. God created Mankind in his own image, therefore to love God is to love all mankind. The left wing is attempting to get all people to approve of their lifestyle. That will never happen, especially if they keep on twisting the truth and turning positive statements about traditional marriage into "We Hate Gays". God loves gay people, but hates all of the sins of all mankind.

August 3, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Hugh Jass

". At no time did he vilify Gay People, or use any negative accusational speech." They give millions to group who lobby to take away gay people's rights. You DO understand that, right? He can believe what he wants, but I draw a line at bullying a bunch of twinks. I'm above that, and you all should be too.

August 3, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Greg

Thank You Father for working all things for good for those who love You and are called according to Your purpose.

August 2, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hope

Nothings wrong...

We're all human.

(I think)

August 2, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oj

Yes, I'm sure if there were a god, it would have nothing better to do than to boost sales of chicken nuggets.

August 3, 2012 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jaime

I wonder how many of these record breaking burgers went to the same customers. God bless their porky souls.

August 2, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

So, yeah there are no burgers, it's chick-fil-a

August 3, 2012 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Githm

Hahahahahahahahaha
      Hahahahahahahahaha
      That was funny maaaan!

August 3, 2012 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jesus

I don't like gay people. Eat more chicken.

August 2, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joe Schmoe

Gay people are weak people who just crave attention. Deep down inside they believe in God and live a life of lies. I saw a gay guy eating chick fil a and crying because he was gay and knew he shouldn't have been. He got up and got married to a woman and lived happily ever after.

August 3, 2012 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  11. Githm

I like chicken...and chicken likes me.

August 3, 2012 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. suzangrace

if you don't like gay marraige, why drag your company into it? that is your opinion. like the fiasco w/lowes i will also boycott chick-fil-a. i stopped going 5 months ago because they got rid of my chocholate fundge frosted brownies. haven't been there since. plus, it's too expensive. the gays are not bothering you. is it going to kill you? no. so leave your opinions to yourself and stop this bigoted support. i am not gay, but i may show up on friday just for the principal of it. stop the hate. make food and shut the hell up.

August 3, 2012 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Clayster

Because it is protected speech, that is why.

August 3, 2012 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. Clayster

Never been there before because we don't eat fastfood, and I even took my 91 year old Grandfather who has never eaten in a fast food place. The line was out to the street in Los Angeles, but it moved quickly. My Granfather told me it was the best chicken salad he ever had, and my enite family enjoyed it. The people there are really nice, and it was healthy. Guess that we are going to make it a regular affair. I did go there to defend management with Christian based beliefs, but the real reason for everybody to go there is to defend our Bill of Rights, specifically the Freedom of Speech..

August 3, 2012 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Hugh Jass

" I did go there to defend management with Christian based beliefs, but the real reason for everybody to go there is to defend our Bill of Rights, specifically the Freedom of Speech.." Communities are free to discourage or ban businesses that lower property values or 'bring in the wrong kind of crowd.' Remember the Ground Zero Mosque? Did you stand up for their rights when NYC tried to stifle them?

August 3, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Clayster

I was there today for the first ime, and me and my entire family loved it. STAND UP AND PROTECT FREE SPEECH!!!

August 3, 2012 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. Githm

Yaaaaay! Wait...I mean cool!

August 3, 2012 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |