August 2nd, 2012

'Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day' sets record, restaurant chain says

Chick-fil-A says it set a sales record on Wednesday, the day that supporters rallied around the fast-food chain amid a debate over its president's opposition to same-sex marriage.

The chain won't release sales numbers, but "we can confirm reports that it was a record-setting day," said Steve Robinson, Chick-fil-A's executive vice president of marketing.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee had called on people to buy food at the chain on Wednesday, which he dubbed "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day," after a backlash against the company and their president.

The controversy started after an interview with the fast-food restaurant chain's president and COO, Dan Cathy, appeared in The Baptist Press on July 16. He weighed in with his views on family.

"We are very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy said. "We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

On a Facebook page Huckabee created announcing the event, more than 620,000 people said they would participate.

He called for a response to a backlash against the restaurants and its president. Customers flocked to the restaurants on Wednesday, many showing their support for the chain and Cathy's opposition to same-sex marriage.

Gay rights activists are planning to hold a "national same-sex kiss day at Chick-fil-A" on Friday.

FULL STORY
soundoff (1,687 Responses)
  1. Chad

Interesting. The two restaurants here in our town in Virginia were not busy it appeared. Zaxbys is better anyways.

August 2, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  2. Marriage Equality for ALL

Christians do not have the right to voice opinions that conflict with HUMAN RIGHTS. Gays and lesbians deserve the right to marry. Polygamists have the right to marry. Mark my words – the day is coming soon when any one of you Christian bigots who speaks even a peep against marriage equality will be thrown in jail and the key will be thrown away – and i will be laughing my head off at you bigots.

August 2, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • johnstone39

So, some of you militant LGBT supporters are calling for the death of people supporting Chic-fil-a and calling supporters of chic-fil-a bigots? Laughable! Why is you militant LGBT supporters can scream for equality and tolerance, but once someone doesn't share your views, you turn hateful and call for their death? Just disgusting.

August 2, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Henry

Tell that one to God and let me know how it turns out for you.

August 2, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • sense4sure

You are corret that also is in the bible but as you are laughing you will be beginiing to feel mightty hot.

August 2, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • clakjak

Really

August 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lainie11

I have just adopted Chick-fil-A as my regular fast food place to the exclusion of other fast food chains that have not come out with their views as Chick has. This is America, and even businesses have a right to express their beliefs as individuals. I hope Chick-fil-A opens more chains in Michigan.

August 2, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jed

You catch 'em! He'll clean 'em!

August 2, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  5. Veritas Lavinga

Excellent work Chick-fil-A and all of those who came to the restaurants. Christian values will not be torn down, they will not be trampled over, they will stand tall and be a beacon for the lost. Mayor Rahm, I invite you to Chick-fil-A for a hearty discussion and a tasty meal. You will certainly enjoy it.

August 2, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. oscarred

The problem with their free speech claim is that these same people boycotted McDonald's and Ford in 2008 for supporting gay marriage.

August 2, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. Josh

CNN just doesn't get it. The turn out wasn't because of gay marriage. It was about freedom of speech. It was about people attacking with a militant attidude in favor of gay marriage and their desire to either repress free speech or punish those that they disagree with them. People who believe in gay marriage don't own this country and they don't own Chicago! Attacking a corporation to do monetary harm or an individual to do physical or monetary harm for standing up for what they believe in is wrong no matter who does it or how they do it.

August 2, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • JR

You said it Josh. Becoming militant over someone believing in something you disagree with is just plain wrong.

August 2, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. Eddie

I want to marry my grandpa.

August 2, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. Dannytelevision

I heard Chick-A-Fill food is not very healthy. it fits

August 2, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. Todd Pritchett

So many hateful bigots calling themselves Christians. 20 years ago when my sister was on Drugs and DFAC took her child away and was going to put him in a home for troubled children unless someone took him in...I took him in and raised him for 3 years reducing work to part time and gong through all my saving and putting 30k on my credit cards to live and to get him much needed help. Ditto when my partner's mom had a stroke..we took all the responsibility and even took in his mentally ill sister for 7 months until we found her a group home. We are the only people to visit and take them out every week and give them money. When my mom was in a car accident and broke her back who took her in? When she was diagnosed with Cancer did she go live with the rest of my family? No. She moved in with us until she passed away. This is a common theme in almost every gay person we know. So when someone spends millions trying to keep me and my partner second class citizens and comments how we could invoke God's wrath on our country...F' him and all the ignorant bigots that eat at his restaurants. Oh and by the way..that was me exercising my rights of Free Speech.

August 2, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  11. Houstonlily

People dont want to see alot of in your face PDA on any day from anybody especially when there are kids around. Keep that stuff at home. Mr. Cathy has nothing to apologize for refusing to be a fence sitter on this issue. You can not be pro life and support abortion. If that makes a person an anti pro choice, so be it. Color it any color of the rainbow but at the end of the day, like it or not, accept it or not, there is only one God, the God of all of us, He is the only Judge of all of us.

August 2, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • TSRVT

There is no such thing, Sparky.

August 2, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  12. Dave

@pkrbkr: REALLY? Your obvious hatred is reflecting your values or lack thereof. What is wrong with a company leader speaking his beliefs? I give you credit that Jesus probably is disappointed in humanity...He should be!! Look at what man has done to himself! He has put himself on a pedastool with God and believes he(man) is vain enough to make a decision of an eternal creator. You're probably angry simply because you're an angry person when you're disagreed with. Too bad....

August 2, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  13. cleat

good- the hate, and discrimination i see is from the left/liberals/gays...

August 2, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  14. calvin

People just need to get over this crap. If you want to eat there, then eat there. If not, then don't. Personally, I don't eat there because I don't like their food. Question: Has Chick Fil A denied service to any gay couple at their stores ? Apparently not. Personally, I couldn't care less what it's president thinks as long as he doesn't deny service. Oh, I had their oatmeal when it first came out. It was an awful gummy glob with no taste. Their chicken used to be good, not any more.

August 2, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  15. M. Simons

Just what the Republicans want – let the rich get richer. I think the owner duped all of you into increasing his sales.

August 2, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • It's green with envy

So you want part of the profits for doing nothing, eh? Loser.

August 2, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |