August 3rd, 2012

British court convicts parents of murder in 'honor' killing

A British court Friday convicted the parents of a 17-year-old girl, saying she was killed because of her Westernized lifestyle, a spokeswoman for the Chester Crown court said.

Iftikhar and Farzana Ahmed were found guilty of murder in the death of Shafilea Ahmed, whose dismembered body was found on a riverbank months after she disappeared in 2003.

The conviction came after the girl's mother changed her long-standing denials and testified Monday that she had seen her husband attack their daughter on the night Shafilea died. Iftikhar Ahmed has denied killing her.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Justice • United Kingdom
  1. Portland tony

Barbaric Non-humans. There is no honor in killing one's offspring. Just false pride....

August 4, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. saywhat

There are 1000 young people killed in the name of 'Honor Killing' every year in India predominantly by Hindu families. This crime ranges everywhere from Haryna to even a case in Belgium. Just between April 9 and June 30 the number killed is 19.
    Has CNN or for that matter any main stream media outlet ever reported these crimes/
    I wonder why?

August 4, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mickey1313

Because if they report the truth, that religion kills, then people will claim that they are not sensitive to evil peoples beliefs.

August 4, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. saywhat

In this good Ol' US of A, researchers estimate that 250-300 young are killed by parents every year. According to Dr Philip Resnick of CWS Un. Cleveland. " One out of 33 homicides is a parent killing a child" he says.

August 4, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I don't doubt that for a minute, saywhat; I just don't think that they fall under the heading of "honor" killings.
      There are some people singularly unqualified or unfit to raise children; those would be the ones like CA, who got away with it...and Susan Smith, who didn't.

August 4, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mickey1313

@banasy I agree fully

August 4, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. saywhat

@banasy
    Agree.
    Point I was trying to make was that the intent of coverage of this crime is clearly (as has been the designed intent of our MS media for some time) to malign one particular ethnic group. Similar instances from India for example (my post of 12:27) are never reported.
    I could be wrong.
    Enjoy your evening and you good folks @Mickey@Portland tony.

August 4, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Saywhat, I do find it somewhat disconcerting that the Hindus also do this, and you're right: it is woefully underreported.
      I have read about honor killings amongst the Hindu faith; that being said, if one does not want their offspring to become "Westernized", living in a Western country will not enhance their chances.
      There is that old saying, "when in Rome..."...acclimate to your new country, or stay in your old one!

August 4, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. james ainoris

I never new hindus did that! I know there are whacky people here that wont take kids to doctor or blood transfusions etc. I heard china and india kills female embryos and sell s girls into slavery to rich europeans.. so dont just beat up on Moslems... Christianity had inquisition and witch burnings and would still do it if secular courts were not in charge today....It is sad about young woman though... jim ainoris

August 7, 2012 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. jiripinkas

More love from the religion of peace.

August 21, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |