August 9th, 2012

Mash-up: If you give a moose a swing set ...

The CNN Daily Mash-up is a roundup of some of the most interesting, surprising, curious, poignant or significant items to appear on CNN.com in the past 24 hours. We top it with a collection of the day's most striking photographs from around the world.

Dangerous days in Aleppo

CNN's Ben Wedeman gives a harrowing account of a trip into the besieged city of Aleppo, Syria, describing snipers, street vendors selling their wares as bombs fall, and a spectrum of conditions and attitudes among civilians. An 11-year-old girl named Nahla told Wedeman that government forces keep bombing her neighborhood:

We're confused. We feel they want to attack us. We left this area before, then came back. Now we want to leave again, but we can't.

NASA spacecraft crashes and burns

Project Morpheus, a new NASA test spacecraft carrying a prototype moon lander, crashed and burned Thursday during a test flight at Kennedy Space Center, CNN affiliate WKMG reports.

Ruminants just want to have fun

Brutally hot July wrings comments from readers

The report that this July was the hottest one on record in the United States prompted a discussion among readers about long-term trends.

Charles

In a century, the people on Mars will be sending a rover to see if there is life on Earth.

Samson1975

How about we forget climate change for a moment and focus on cleaning up the Earth anyway? I mean, what harm could come out of reducing the amount of pollution we pump into our atmosphere and water? Let me guess. The right-wing nut jobs don't believe in pollution either.

412ctruth

No, this right-wing nut job wholeheartedly agrees. Knock off the ignorant global warming agenda with all of its trillions of dollar spending and instead just be environmentally responsible. Recycling, alternative energy, conservation, all just make sense. But so does encouraging reasonable sized houses and cars, getting rid of GMO crops and pursuing sustainable agriculture. When we make global warming the issue it makes other issues seem less important when they are not.

More coolness from Mars

On the horizon: Tennessee mosque, Ghana president's funeral

The Islamic Center of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, expects to hold its first prayer service in its new building on Friday, before the holy month of Ramadan ends. The construction site has been vandalized several times, including an arson attack in 2010 and "not welcome" spray-painted on a sign announcing the project.

Ghana will hold a state funeral service and burial for President John Evans Atta Mills on Friday. Mills died Tuesday at a military hospital after falling ill earlier in the day.

August 10 anniversaries

1787 – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart finishes writing "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik."

1846 – The Smithsonian Institution is established in Washington, from funds left by British scientist James Smithson.

1948 – "Candid Camera" with Allen Funt debuts on television.

1977 – David Berkowitz is arrested in the "Son of Sam" serial killings in New York City.

2006 – Police arrest 24 people in the United Kingdom on suspicion of plotting to blow up U.S.-bound planes.

August 10 birthdays

Fashion designer Betsey Johnson, 70

– Pop singer Ronnie Spector, 69

Banderas

– Singer Patti Austin, 64

– Actress Rosanna Arquette, 53

– Actor Antonio Banderas, 52

– Boxer Riddick Bowe, 45

– Actress Angie Harmon, 40

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Daily Mash-up
  1. chrissy

lol @ kenny and Jay Jay, dont you feel like youre both part of our little community? We feel you are! 😉

August 10, 2012 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay jay

we should set up a cnn bloggers reunion lol. IDE like to faces to the names

August 10, 2012 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay jay

Oops. see faces to the names.

August 10, 2012 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Do a search for "Bimbo the Birthday Clown". Not my real face, but the face I like other people to associate with me. It is the avatar I use to post comments as BOMBOc on the main CNN site.

August 10, 2012 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

And we mustnt forget BOMBO either. Jeff you are just brilliant to come up with this idea of cnns ALL IN THE FAMILY! 😉 good nite all.

August 10, 2012 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Thanks Chrissy. sniff. It's nice that SOMEBODY remembered.

Also superman, dazzle, tori and raven. Sometimes Mary, unless she's angry again.

And my good friend JIF.

RUFFNUTT, where art thou.

August 10, 2012 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

I kid Mary, I kid. Please don't hate me because I'm sarcastic.

August 10, 2012 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

And bobcat. I'm sure we're forgetting someone else.

August 10, 2012 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. BOMBO ©

Okay this is weird. A lot of these comments weren't here a few minutes ago. Or maybe they were and my brain is finally giving out. I don't know. Had to happen eventually. At any rate, it does seem you all forgot bobcat and Joey. Unless more comments appear, and prove me wrong. Dang.

August 10, 2012 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

lmao @ BOMBO, nope i said bobcat dear, with obama mama.

August 10, 2012 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

And Jay Jays right, a reunion would be absolutely wonderful! Years ago it used to be chat parties, now it would be blog parties! 😉

August 10, 2012 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. fernace

Yes, BOMBO y'all are forgetting me, fernace, the Swedish Texan (SweTx, for short)! I've been on all these blogs, strenuously laboring on my tiny little Sprint keyboard for over a year, to throw my 2 cents in the mix & y'all Forget me!? For shame! Bet ya wont forget me now, though! Truly, this is a community blogsite, where people from the whole country can get together for neighborly chats! CNN provides this forum, but we the bloggers, formulate it! Hope cnn isn't engaging in some sort of heavyhanded censoring! Well, we'll see if I post & for how long! Here goes nothin'.....

August 10, 2012 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO

I figured I would need to apologize to someone today for forgetting them, and I'm right. Sorry fernace. We. Are a bigger community than most of us realize, until you sit down and start counting off.

August 10, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

@ Jeff Frank, dont leave the boards, thats exactly what they want you to do. It is two very miserable people trying to make everyone as miserable as them, dont let them succeed! And i didnt see that post last nite or i wouldve responded immediately!

August 10, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

And @ BOMBO, youre right i forgot Joey, only cuz i never see him anymore & 4 whatever reason cnn wont allow ruffies posts 2 stay up. As for the other one you mentioned has made it clear she doesnt like to be associated with the likes of us. Add Rascal plz

August 10, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  9. fernace

Thanks y'all, I feel included & loved! I'm w/chrissy! Jeff Frank dont leave us! Thanks @ little mister for getting me back on the deans list! If Jeff leaves we'll be dean-less! A rudderless ship, a clutchless car, a frostingless cake, a brainless idea, well y'all get the (punless) idea! Also, I may not post everyday, but certainly weekly & I pick my subjects! I came on here for the moose on the swingset! Lol!(Not all subjects must elevate gray matter)! We have moose in Sweden & they can be scary or entertaining, depending on how far away you are while observing them! Too close & you might get a hoof or an antler! They are majestic creatures though! Ok, that's all I have for now, but C Y'all Soon! Have a good w-e!!

August 10, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Nobody who has read your posts can ever forget you, fernace!

@Jeff Frank:
      Oh no you WON'T leave us!
      You would be missed terribly!
      Please reconsider.

August 10, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

Omg @ fernace, you are TOO funny today lmao! And WHY do they keep deleting little misters posts? Hes amusing and NOT mean, and yet they keep the UNamusing, mean posts up?? Whats the dealio?

August 10, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. The Welcome Wagon Hagd

Would you stop with this phony list of who's welcome? I don't care to be part of this ridiculous clique of idiots and ankebiters. This is for you chrissy, you never learn.

August 10, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Teeth

Touch a nerve, Merv the perv?
      Eat it, Boss Hog.

August 10, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

@banasy
    You keep em comming back huh? Homespun sweetness. 🙂
    @chrissy
    The community list came up twice cause of my "real phone". I flat fingered it.

August 10, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Demi Lovato Lyrics

I do not even know how I stopped up right here, however I thought this publish was good. I don't recognise who you might be however definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you happen to are not already 😉 Cheers!

August 11, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |