August 16th, 2012

Wildfires roast western states

Blistering hot temperatures will blast the normally tepid Pacific Northwest again Thursday as dozens of wildfires burn across large sections of the western United States.

The mercury is expected to soar near triple digits in Portland, Oregon, with Seattle forecast to reach the lower 90s, the National Weather Service said. The coastal region is roasting under an excessive heat warning.

At least 70 large fires were burning across 13 states west of the Mississippi River, according to the National Interagency Coordination Center. California had the most with 13, followed by Nevada with 12 and Idaho with 10, the center said.

The Marines joined the fight on Wednesday, with helicopter units from California joining U.S. Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard units from Colorado, Wyoming, North Carolina and California in fighting the fires by air. The Marine units will help fight fires around San Diego.

In California alone, 8,000 firefighters were fighting a dozen fires, the state Department of Forestry and Fire Protection said Wednesday. The state issued a burn ban, saying only some campfires are allowed.

Conditions could worsen in some places over the next few days. The National Weather Service said a weather pattern developing in parts of Oregon could produce conditions favorable to "explosive fire growth."

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S. • Weather
  1. Philip

Here in Colorado Springs we had a fire recently and 34,000 people were evcauated. 347 homes were destroyed and 2 lives were lost, with a 3rd being an evacuee who drowned in a reservoir.
    As devastaing as this 'Waldo Canyon fire" was, it's still "burning". LOOTING. People profiting off of the misery of others. So much looting that a 50 thousand dollar reward has been posted for looters. No, not by the government. An anonymous CITIZEN posted the reward. The fire cost 14 million dollars to fight and there wasn't 50K left-over, evidently.
    Now, when we catch these looters we won't be allowed to touch them until they have had their day in court. It seems to me that it's near-time for the US government to begin executing well-known suspected terrorists.

August 16, 2012 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Phillip

You want to start killing people willy-niily for stealing? Mein Kampf is your preferred reading, is it?

August 16, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bongoâ„¢

If my area is ever evacuated, I'm not going to go. It's still the US, even though many of those in authority positions don't think so. I may get washed away or hurt, but at least it will happen at happy home.

August 16, 2012 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  3. Bongoâ„¢

Following hurricane Katrina, there were many rumors of law enforcement breaking into houses and doing the looting themselves. They said they were searching for bodies. Every firearm they found in these houses was "confiscated" along with who knows what other valuables.

August 16, 2012 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

...and about Katrina. 50,000 were evacuated. Lousianna's governer called-out the National Guard to help control the traditional looting that occurs, but guess what. They were in Iraq. And so Blackwater and Associates corprate militants were hired at considerable expense. It may have been less costly to just let the looting go on unabated. Blackwater charges up-to 10 thousand dollars per day/per man. (you would have to pay me more than that even to goto Mardis Gras)
    And is why it's near time for US to begin asassinating well known terrorists of our own instead of just using this option on foreign citizens.
    How many priests would think twice before stalking and raypeing a boy knowing they might get asassinated for it, for example. How many crackhouses and meth labs droned-down, for another.

August 16, 2012 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

(the first half of my reply was deleted. Why.)

August 16, 2012 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO©

""You care too much"

August 16, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

When a person ignores ecacuation ORDERS, they place others at risk. Howso?
    Firefighters protect human life first, property, second. A team of firefighters keeping a blaze from burning-down an evacuated building where 500 people work for a living might have to ne pulled to come save the life of an ignorant ignorer of evacuation ORDERS. 500 PEOPLE WOULD LOSE THEIR JOBS THANKS TO IGNORANCE.

August 16, 2012 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

They can order me all they want. Anyone that trust the government to protect them is sad. It is us that need protecting FROM the government.

August 16, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

@Jim. I was refering to firefighters saving US from fires (yes, they do this), not blind flag wavers. Thanks anyway, though. 🙂

August 16, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Phillip

You're pretty anti-American, aren't you?

August 16, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bongoâ„¢

I sure feel sorry for all the poor folks hurt by this. Hopefully things will get better.

August 16, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

To my friends in those areas:
    If you get an evacuation order, EVACUATE.
    Your home can be replaced.
    YOU can't.

My thoughts go out to all of the people affected by these fires.

August 16, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Any reason that you are trolling me because I value my friend's lives over their possesions, Philip?

August 16, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I also voiced the same concern for you when Colorado Springs was being threated.
      Should I not express the same concern to people I actually *know* and love?

August 16, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

The last line of the post should be accentled thusly:

Should I not express the same concern to those I KNOW and LOVE?

I regret the error of improper accentation.

August 16, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

No answer.
    As expected.

August 16, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Phillip

Let them burn up. They deserve it for touching my junk.

August 16, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |