August 22nd, 2012

Martin Luther King Jr. interview found in Tennessee attic

In a dusty old attic in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Stephon Tull was rummaging through dilapidated boxes left there by his father many years before, when he came across an interesting find.

In one of the battered boxes was an audio reel marked, "Dr. King interview, Dec. 21, 1960."

"I'm a rummager, a packrat," said Tull. "That piqued my interest."

Tull acquired a reel-to-reel player and listened to what sounded like his father interviewing Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. about nonviolence and the civil rights movement.

"I could not believe what I was hearing," said Tull.

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S.
  1. Rotney King

i couldn't believe it either. Cuzz it be the same as is always at the projects.

August 22, 2012 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

I'll bet his interest *was* piqued...
    What a find to add to the archives of a man who did so much to further civil rights in this country.

@Canadian Observer:
    *Facepalm*
    Thanks for the first laugh of the day.

August 22, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sinfully Yours

It would have been better had he "discovered" the "lost tape" in the closet. 😉

August 22, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. Rotney King

MLK didn't do squat for ghetto dwellers who still have as few as two choices in life...join the Army or join a street gang. A third option, welfare, is being removed from the table by the president. A black man who gives more to wealthy jews than to his own, and won't allow gay soldiers to make love. War, Yes. Gay lovemaking sessions. No. (two faced)

August 22, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Spo

Why is it that blacks only get remembered for things that happened long time ago as if that was the only time they existed

August 22, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Revisionist

@Rotney, a voice of clarity amidst a swirl of confusion, your lucid opinions are unknown around these parts. I completely concur. The Reverand is supposed to be a voice of moral authority. Now, I'm no expert but I think reverands aren't supposed to be philandering serial adulterers, home-wreckers, and not taking care of their illegitimate offspring. And a communist. "I have a dream... that somebody else will work and his wealth will be redistributed to me..." "Meet me in hotel room 22 in a half hour, sugar..."

August 22, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. saywhat

Civil Rights movement did indeed change the social landscape of this country. If you lament the plight of the ghetto dwellers and myriad of miseries of poor getting poorer, its no fault of MLK or singly that of President Obama.
    We are all in it together. For letting those up on the Hill and in corridors of power bamboozle us into following their own agenda.

August 22, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I agree with you completely, saywhat.
      That MLK was imperfect is well known, yet there are those who would completely diminish or outright dismiss everything that he did for the civil rights movement...
      Some people merely talk...
      He literally walked the walk...and was assassinated for holding those beliefs above what was 'socially acceptable' at the time.

August 22, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Civil Wrongs Movement

Bamboozle us? Heck. Most go-along willingly and in complete ignorance...even turning their heads the other way when the truth about their leaders stares them straight in the face.
    Bamboozled. Ha! (:)@saywhat.

August 22, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. saywhat

You are right @Civil Wrongs Movement. I wrongly thought that we were gullible.
    Either way we are party to what's going and where we stand today.
    @banasy
    Yes. MLK did "walk the walk" some may be hard put to accept that.

August 22, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

He was assainated by the man who wanted MLKs job. (find this out for yourself. Start by reviewing Joe Brown's ballistics reports from the crime scene and in the lab. Of TV's Judge Joe Brown when he was a younger man)

August 22, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

I wonder how his views had changed from that interview in 1960 until his assassination in 1968, if at all.
    I wonder what else he would have accomplished, had he been allowed to live.

August 22, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jill

You mean 1 million?? Because the pigs like to exaggerate...

August 22, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • jill

commented on wrong article lol.

August 22, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |