Taking a break for Labor Day
September 2nd, 2012

Taking a break for Labor Day

On Monday, people across the United States will be sending the summer season a final salute as they celebrate Labor Day's extended weekend.

Grills will be fired up, opening games of the college football season will be rehashed and vacations will be squeezed into the calendar for one last hurrah until the winter holidays.

Just beware that in the middle of all the celebrating, gas prices will be higher and travelers will make traffic heavy. But don't worry - the gas prices, according to CNNMoney, are expected to drop back down.

As for our coverage,  Eatocracy is on hand with not only the best hot dogs for your backyard shindig, but an entire collection of the best tips and recipes for the ultimate summer send-off. CNN Money also has a gallery of Labor Day getaways on one tank or less to ease your spending woes.

Want to know the real, embattled history of this holiday that gives us an extra relaxing day off of work? Author and historian Kenneth C. Davis spells it out in his eloquent opinion piece - and just why we shouldn't take this September 3 for granted. Also, get to know Labor Day by the numbers.

Grab your Labor Day weekend forecast here and if you're still stumped on where to go, JD Rinne of Jetsetter.com share her picks with us for last-minute getaways.

We'd also like to know how you'll be spending your Labor Day - where you're going, what you're cooking, who you're spending it with. Do you have any traditions you observe every year? Did Davis' history of Labor Day surprise you? Let us know in the comments below.

Post by:
Filed under: Labor Day
  1. Sandy

I'm spending Labor Day as I have for most of my life – working.

September 3, 2012 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. Counterpoint

Jesus Christ was the greatest man who ever lived.
    By the age of 12, he was teaching Israel's religious leaders the truth about God's word.
    An accomplished carpenter, Jesus retired at 29 and financed his ministry by working day labor, a model very few ministers follow today.
    So powerful were Jesus' life and words, Mohandus Ghandi was moved to remark "I love Jesus Christ, yet i despise Christians. For they do not live as Jesus lived.
    People used to make fun of Jesus back then too, @bobcat. Many today go even further, payIng good money to see graphic images depicting Jesus being tortured to death. (if even you can imagine that)
    If you are serious about Jesus, people will make fun of you too. The slave is not greater than the master. But if you make fun of Jesus, you will be adored. (as demonstrated above)

September 3, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Turd Furgeson

You know who else was serious about Jesus? Hitler

September 3, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  3. Merlin

Wow...wow. I thought this was a solicitation for folks to express their Labor Day plans. As I am getting nothing useful from most of these comments, I will do something constructive like log off the PC, mow the yard and spend time with my family, swat a few mosquitoes, while inadvertently flipping a burger off the grill to the ground... Sounds great.

September 3, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • j14401s

One part of this article says 50 million are traveling 50 miles or more on this day, yet the poll they are taking says that over 80% are staying home. Which is it? Fibbing again. The statistics don't add up.

September 3, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jillmarie

I'm laboring at work on Labor Day. I don't think it's fair, but I work in retail, so I'm used to it. I do get holiday pay as well, so it could be worse, plus I'm getting out several hours earlier than usual. Had to wake up extra early though. Oh well. Had a fun day with family, including my 8 month old, yesterday. I guess most people do fun things on the weekend anyway, right?

September 3, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. Public Servant

I will be spending my labor day laboring at work. Not everyone gets to rest while the rest have fun. Oh well, I will smile as I earn 1.5 pay while I patch them up after they get drunk and burn themselves on the grill.

September 3, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  6. charlie5472

I'm here making the chips you are using in your cell phones, digital cameras and MP3 players!! Factory doesn't shut down just because there's a holiday. You all enjoy the day and save me a hot dog!!!

September 3, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Earnest T Bass

so your one of the little men like me hum?

September 3, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Matt

Like many Americans on Labor Day, I am also laboring...

September 3, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. PaulH

Like most Americans, I'm working today – no time off at the job!

September 3, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  9. PaulH

Llike most Americans I'm sure, I'm working today!

September 3, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. PaulH

Like most Americans I would bet, I'm working today!

September 3, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. eeneen0210

I couldn't afford to travel 385 miles to visit friends and family because of the high cost of gasoline!! What a shame that I have to spend the Labor Day holiday at home because someone greedy person wants to make more money than they need off the middle class!! Will Someone please do something about the rising prices of gasoline!!!!

September 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Earnest T Bass

Speculation and storms took my vacation. I thought they speculated this storm to happen three and a half months ago thats what they said when the gas prices went up prior to Memorial day. Now we get charged higher pump prices again! We already paid higher storm prices. Wheres Gov-co? Who's watching out for us here? Where's the energy Czar?

September 3, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |