September 3rd, 2012

Monday's live events

The Republicans have had their say, and now it's time for the Democrats to hold their national convention.  Watch CNN.com Live for gavel-to-gavel coverage.

Today's programming highlights...

12:00 pm ET - Biden Labor Day rally - Vice President Biden spends part of his day in Michigan, where he'll address an AFL-CIO Labor Day rally in Detroit.

12:30 pm ET - Obama marks Labor Day - President Obama begins his Labor Day in Toledo, Ohio, where he'll speak at a United Auto Workers Labor Day celebration.  He'll then travel to Louisiana to tour areas damaged by Hurricane Isaac.

1:20 pm ET - Ryan rally - GOP vice presidential candidate Rep. Paul Ryan goes back to school this afternoon when he holds a rally on the campus of East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Elections • On CNN.com today • Politics
  1. chrissy

Hello @ Portland Tony, thats the best idea ive heard all day! 🙂 hope youre enjoying your holiday!

September 3, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

Happy labor day @ saywhat, hope youre enjoying it. And @ Portland Tony, heres a little known factoid just for you: Oregon was the first state to make labor day an official holiday in l887! 🙂

September 3, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

lmao and WHERE does it say there is an *empty chair day?* If anyone can declare a *national anything day* then i declare the GOP convention *empty head day!* 😉 Now do you see how condescending that sounds?

September 3, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

I was listening to conservative talk radio as I was pulling my electronics out of the attic( I have numerous tricks to deal with looters, anything bigger than a microwave and they literaly have to take my house apart to get it out of my house) and they were talking about Clint Eastwoods empty chair speach. Since Obama has failed to be a leader( that's what the empty chair symbolizes) in every aspect including jobs, the radio host "officially" deemed labor day as National Empty Chair Day. You are supposed to show your support for Clint Eastwood by putting empty chairs in your front yard.

September 3, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • I am 82 and irrelevant

Ya mean the guys who can't keep his facts straight? Hey, did you listen to Guliani say"when someone is making a speech, facts don't have to be accurate"? Go ahead and lie, we see what it is, a fake poser with no plan basing his campaign on b a lo n e y. Put your chairs out there, lmao, and see what it getsya: hopefully a ticket for trash code violations, lmao!!

September 3, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Mr. irrelevant your empty suit for a president is full of nothing but lies and excuses. The summer of recovery never happened, his shovel ready jobs don't exist, the private sector is not just fine, I did build that and excessive government fees and regulations destroyed that for me, there is no such thing as green energy and green jobs. Every form of energy other than coal and oil is more destructive to the environment than coal and oil. The corn for ethanol which causes more pollution than pure gasoline causes the price of both fuel and food to go up. I could go on and on.

September 3, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hamsta.
      I wish you could tell me Romney's platform.
      I know you can go on and on about what the GOP thinks Obama has failed at; can you PLEASE tell me what Romney is going to succeed at, and HOW??
      I really, really want to know.
      Can you go on and on about THAT?
      Sir, I mean no disrespect towards you, but I have yet to see an answer.
      Policies.
      That sort of thing.

September 3, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@I am 82:
      I did see Guiliani say that.
      I was flabberghasted.
      I could not believe that someone would come right out and say that facts don't have to be accurate during speeches; I think it is wrong to state something as factual, but innacurate.
      To me, that's not factual at all, no matter *who* is giving the speech...

September 3, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

As I already said Governor Kathleen Blanco was more of a man than Obama and after recognizing that she did a poor job she stepped to the side for the next election to let someone else have a try. Obama is living in a fairy tale and is conviced that he is succeding. Maybe he is if his idea of success is to completely destroy America. Romney has already anounced he would cut back on the job killing over regulation. Romney has already anounced that he will repeal Obamacare and restore the $700 billion Obama robbed from medicare and the $500 billion Obama robbed from the military. Romney has anounced that he will bring the manufacturing jobs back to the United States ( American cars will no longer be made in Mexico). I could go on and on.

September 3, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • @HAMSTA

WHAT YOU HAVEN"T STATED WAS ROMNEY'S PLATFORM. YOU LOSE, SIR. GOING THRU LIFE EVADING DIRECT QUESTIONS MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT ROMNEY STANDS FOR, CUZ YOU DON'T! STATE ROMNEY'S GOALS AND HIS PLAN TO IMPLEMENT THEM OR STOP COMMENTING ALTOGETHER CUZ YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!!

September 3, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

I already stated what I know of his plans. WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND ABOUT IF SOMEONE IS DOING A POOR JOB, YOU FIRE THAT PERSON AND HIRE SOMEONE ELSE? Are you people really that stupid? Have you ever had to hire someone to do a job? You don't know what kind of job they.will do until you hire them. It's obvious Obama can't do that job so it is time to fire him.

September 4, 2012 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. Kenney

I remember dead head days

September 3, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kenney

@ hamsta,,,,if you want empty chair day then have it , by all means , celebrate with food , for example , hot dogs with just the buns , hamburgers the same , and empty cans of beer ! Have at it baby !!!!and make sure it falls on your b-day .

September 3, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

@ banasy, if Romney cant tell the american people what his platform is how can anyone else? lmao. And seriously @ hamsta, i have searched the internet high and low and i have not seen anything in regards to a plan.

September 3, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@chrissy:
      Yeah, I know, I know...
      Ah, well.
      Such is politics.

September 3, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kenney

@ hamsta ,,,are you sure that radio host wasnt howard stern ,,,,or perhaps rush limbuagh so which one was it because the elephant is still fat for the REPUBLIPUNKS

September 3, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. @HAMSTA

HERE IS A DIECT QUESTION. WHAT PLATFORM IS ROMNEY CURRENTLY BASING HIS CAMPAIGN ON? #1 RULE: SEE IF YOU CAN STATE IT WITHOUT OBAMA'S NAME COMING UP. GO.

September 3, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

I can tell none of you have had the hassles of hiring employees, it doesn't matter what Romney's platform is. Fire Obama because he has failed to do his job. If Romney fails then fire him to, but don't keep hiring incompetent people.

September 4, 2012 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. Kenney

@ hamsta returning jobs back to the people of america

September 3, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kenney

But lets not forget that NO ONE PRESIDENT IS PERFECT FOR THIS COUNTRY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and neither is no one perfect enough to put down or even try to belittle others so your point is what HAMSTA ??????????

September 3, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

@ Hamsta that money that you speak of that supposedly *belongs* to the military, thats americans tax dollars, NOT the militarys! He hasnt stolen anything, so youre just pullin things outta your a55! And taking social security $ has been goin on for yrs!

September 3, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

By law that is not your money, it is property of the U.S. Government. They can take it from you any time they want. Try lighting money on fire. Destruction of U.S. Currency is a crime. You are wrong yet again.

September 4, 2012 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

And the one and only thing ive heard of Romneys plans is we will STAY at war in Afghanastan. Sure thats what americans want! He has stated one positive thing on how he plans on fixing the economy! Nothing, nadda, zilch!

September 3, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

Oops meant *hasnt stated*

September 3, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Hamsta

Sounds like some people need to listen to conservative talk radio and stop drinking the kool aid ay the liberal left wing medoa. Obama got laughed out of lpuisiana last night, bit you won't hear about that because they won't report on that just like they won't report on Romney's plan. Inatead you believe the man who says his plan is to bend forward.bending forward isn't a plan, it's just preparing America to get screwed.

September 4, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |