September 4th, 2012

Democratic convention will highlight differing visions between the parties

Facing a close election and Republican attacks that they have made things worse while in power, President Barack Obama and Democrats seek to emphasize what has been achieved and additional steps to bolster the middle class at their three-day national convention that begins Tuesday.

The political conclave that will formally nominate Obama for a second term serves as a response to last week's Republican convention that nominated Mitt Romney as the GOP challenger in November.

Democrats offered a glimpse of issues expected to play a prominent role in this week's events, releasing their party platform late Monday. It focuses on improving the economic situation for middle-class Americans, a central theme of Obama's campaign and an issue the party hopes will win votes come November. It also contains language endorsing same-sex marriage for the first time, a move that brings the party's official stance in line with that of the president, who said for the first time in May that he supports marriage rights for gays and lesbians.

"Over the course of the week, you'll hear a very different tone than the one that you heard last week in Tampa, which was really essentially one nonstop series of attacks on President Obama," Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee, told CNN on Tuesday.

"We're going to lay out the case for moving the economy forward. President Obama and speakers throughout the week will talk about and have an honest conversation about where we were when he first took office and where we are now after four years of his policies and 29 straight months of job growth in the private sector. And that we need to continue to move forward and we've got a ways to go."

First lady Michelle Obama will address the convention Tuesday night, and former President Bill Clinton headlines the second night before Obama concludes it with his nationally televised address Thursday night.

FULL STORY
  1. chrissy

All the way a class act, thats Michelle Obama!! And the democrat convention seems so much more organized than the RNC!

September 4, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay jay

16 trillion dollar debt that our kids kids are stuck with. Gas prices going thru the roof. No flippin jobs and a prez that is gayin it up. No thank you on the obomba ticket. I'll stick with the business man and not the flippin lawyer. Thank you. ROMNEY/RYAN is the only logical answer...

September 5, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Wade

There are actually 400,000 fewer people working today than in January 2009, when the current President took office. Don't believe this '4.5 million new jobs' B.S.!
      Repubs aren't the only ones that play fast and loose with the facts!

September 5, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. -Fat Racist- (R-Ohio)"Whats this?"

My name is Jenny. I'm six years old. When I was in school today, a Federal agent inspected the lunch my mommy packed me, and took it away saying my ham on rye with swiss was unhealthy for me to eat, and told me to get in line to get chicken nuggets.

September 5, 2012 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

Federal agents love Ham and cheese sandwiches!

September 5, 2012 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jessica

"Freeloading minions, if you want continued wealth re distribution, let's continue inventing unfunded do-gooder programs that we'll pay for with money borrowed from the Chinese! What do you care, someone else will have to pay it back! Vote for me and keep the foolishness flowing!" Nothing new there... same old, same old.

September 5, 2012 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

The Chinese government is not stupid. As long as they can keep the American economy churning, have a safe place to park their cash reserves, and keep Americans buying Chinese manufactured goods....everybody is happy!

September 5, 2012 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. Daryl

yes i agree with Chrissy's post the DNC was well organized than the GOP....

September 5, 2012 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  5. -Fat Racist- (R-Ohio)"Whats this?"

Sure the DNC is more organized than the RNC. It's kinda like being sick and aching all over and going to the doctors office of a quack. Very clean. Very organized. Then the doctor sends you to the pay window for Oxycontin. No more aches and pains.

September 5, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. -Fat Racist- (R-Ohio)"Whats this?"

Mark my words. This DNC convention is in fact, nothing more than a Mitt Romney "smear campaign", cause they have nothing to run on.

September 5, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • DNC talking points

-Women, vote for me because evil republicans want to make you pay for your own vacuuming tissue out of your womb, a/k/a interfere with your "health decisions" (Watch for 32 year old student Sarah Fluke who wants taxpayers to buy her birth control)
      -Latinos, vote for me because evil republicans want to deport you
      -Union, vote for me because despite being in right to work Charlotte NC I promise to help you get more pay for less work
      -Blacks, vote for me because what Joe Biden said about shackles

September 5, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Frank

People of the United States of America,
    Bill Clintons Campaign commerical for the President telling the American people Obama has a plan to bring this ,country back is major leauge BS,Well,where is the plan?,Obama told us he had a plan in 2008 and look where we are today. "Meet the new boss ,same as the old boss".

September 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Crocker

Lets hope there are enough of us left to vote him out of office this time around.

September 5, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Crocker

Differing visions? One is blind and the other can't see very well.

September 5, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joy

I was shocked and disappointed to see the words 'republican turncoat' flash across the screen when Chris Kristy was speaking. So unnecessary, unkind and unprofessional. I haven't watched CNN for a while now – you just reminded me why I sought an alternative source for news. I respected this network once.

September 6, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |