24 hours through the lens
September 4th, 2012

Mash-up: NOLA returns to abnormal

The CNN Daily Mash-up is a roundup of some of the most interesting, surprising, curious, poignant or significant items to appear on CNN.com in the past 24 hours. We top it with a collection of the day's most striking photographs from around the world.

The end of bin Laden

Former Navy SEAL Matt Bissonnette's book about the raid that killed Osama bin Laden was released Tuesday, feeding a public hungry for insider details and angering a Pentagon worried about classified information. In the book, Bissonnette (writing under the pen name Mark Owen) says he helped finish off bin Laden after the al Qaeda leader had been mortally wounded by another member of the team:

In his death throes, he was still twitching and convulsing. Another assaulter and I trained our lasers on his chest and fired several rounds. The bullets tore into him, slamming his body into the floor until he was motionless.

Ah, New Orleans

CNN iReporter Lynn Magnuson shot fun video of a ragtag group of "second line" musicians taking to the streets in the French Quarter of New Orleans after Hurricane  Isaac passed through the area.

"I was on my way home when I encountered the procession. Second lines are a part of the culture here, but several tourists on the street were quite surprised as the second line was totally spontaneous," Magnuson said. "I'm a musician myself and ended up tapping on a light pole to keep rhythm."

Crustaceans making Floridians crabby

Land crabs are walking (sideways) all over Stuart, Florida, these days, and they're getting to be a nuisance, even causing flat tires, CNN affiliate WPTV says.

"I've hit them myself. You just can't help it sometimes," resident Dennis Culver told the station. "They were all over everywhere. They were getting in the pool and all around the pool and all over the tennis court, and everybody that came to swim said, 'Oh, my gosh, there's crabs in the courtyard; there's crabs in the parking lot!' "

Here's something you don't see every day

This guy uses crutches, but he also dances and skateboards. At first you might think, "Is this really a good idea?" But once he explains what he's doing, you get it.

Are organics worth it?

CNN readers take their food seriously. They're having a healthy debate over the relative benefits of organic vs. conventional foods.

Tiffany Winn Rueckert
In reading some of the comments below, I just have to add that I am really really tired of hearing the whole "you have to be rich to eat healthy."  It's simply not true.  I happen to think that all the junk prepackaged foods take a lot more out of your pocketbook.  Check into your local farmer's markets.  You can get great deals.  Buy seconds!  You can get a whole bushel of "second" organic apples around here for $8.  Put back the frozen pizza, the cereal, the crackers, the chips and buy the dry beans, brown rice and organic fruits and vegetables.  A bag of dry beans costs under $1 and makes a huge pot that we eat and freeze for later. Rethink your shopping.  You can afford it.  And as I stated below, most farmer's markets accept government issued SNAP cards now.  The market I work at in Baltimore DOUBLES your SNAP dollars at the market.  There are all kinds of wonderful programs; not everyone takes advantage of them. Stop eating out!  You CAN eat healthy!  Stop believing the LIES!

ValerieM
I absolutely agree with you Tiffany on all counts.  Cooking our own meals from as close to their natural source as possible saves our family a TON of money.  Occasional "eating out" is reserved for birthdays and other special occasions and then is appreciated more.  There is SO much information on the internet on crock pot cooking, bulk cooking and freezing for later cooking etc. as well as any recipe you could possibly want.  I work full time and have two teenage boys at home.  We have a home cooked dinner every single night.

On the horizon: Big DNC speeches, NFL opener

Former President Bill Clinton and Massachusetts Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren will speak to delegates Wednesday at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The National Football League will open its season Wednesday night using replacement on-field officials as the league and its referees union remain at odds on a collective bargaining agreement. The Dallas Cowboys will play the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey. This will be the first NFL game to be played on a Wednesday since September 1948.

September 5 anniversaries

1774: The First Continental Congress begins in Philadelphia.

Mother Teresa

1972: Eleven members of the Israeli Olympic team are killed by members of the Palestinian terrorist group Black September at the Munich Olympics.

1975: Lynette (Squeaky) Fromme, a follower of Charles Manson, tries to shoot President Gerald Ford in Sacramento, California.

1977: The Voyager 1 spacecraft is launched to explore Jupiter and Saturn.

1997: Mother Teresa dies in Kolkata, India, at the age of 87.

2006: Katie Couric begins anchoring "CBS Evening News."

September 5 birthdays

Raquel Welch in 1966

• Comedian Bob Newhart, 83

• Singer/actress Carol Lawrence, 80

• Actor William Devane, 75

• Actress Raquel Welch, 72

• Cartoonist Cathy Guisewite, 62

• Singer/actor Dweezil Zappa, 43

• Actress Rose McGowan, 39

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Daily Mash-up
  1. Bush's last gasp

Fmr. President George W. Bush is hoping like hell that Mitt Romney wins, but not for any party affiliate reasons.
    If President Obama were to lose, upon leaving office, he would pardon George W. Bush as all presidents have done for each other.
    President Obama will win, and sometime within the next 4 years we will be dragging George W. Bush through the streets and hanging him in our public square. Little Mussolini that he is. Same beady eyes even.

September 5, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Manic Panic

Is this post seriously threatening to lynch Former President Bush? Because it sure looks like a threat to me. It will never happen. This is not the 20th century South, or 18th cenury France.

September 5, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. connie

Lets pray obama loses we are becoming a socialist country. He is not representing the American people. Obama is shoving his will upon all Americans. Obama is killing America. Stop him before it is to late. Vote against Obama.

September 5, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Release Innocents

@President Obama. Pregradulations on your upcoming victory.
    It's been over 10 long years since Bridas Corporation employees (the last remaining obstacle between Bushco and Afghanistans TAPI) began being arrested as "suspected terrorists" and imprisoned at GITMO.
    These hundreds of men did nothing wrong or illegal. Release them. ty

September 5, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Mary

@ Manic Panic, When you have done some reading and or research your opinion may have some validity...
    An old hag who stalks is very unbecoming.

September 5, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Manic Panic

Research about what, Mary? I find your post puzzling. Your opinion has no validity.

September 5, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Manic Panic

I will agree that old hags who stalk are unbecoming, but why would you share your activities with the rest of the world?

September 5, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Lol.
    Just...lol.

September 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. @Donnamanic

Get a clue. We waterboard suspected criminals now. And we assassinate well-kown suspects.
    Bush will be convicted before we string him up for being the little corporate fascist he is. He is in fact a liar, a thief, and a war criminal.

September 5, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

Lol.
      Just....lol.
      Get the clue yourself, Captain Underpants.
      No matter how you slice and dice it, I am not anyone except banasy© here.

September 5, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Do you *honestly* think that everyone who answers you is *me*?
      Really?
      Lol.

September 5, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

Do you honestly think that it's about you and me? Still?
    Just b/c you have nothing to say about Sibel D. Edomonds and the Bush-Bin Laden group or the ongoing 9/11 victim's family court cases doesn't mean nobody else does.
    If you have nothing to say about it, don't say anything. Or were you one of those HS kids kicked-off the debate team for dissing your opponents...never replying to their presentations. (only replying about them, and about the presenters. aka *gossip*)

September 5, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • My name is Donna, and I approve this message

@Philip:
      When *you* say things to *me*, denigrating *me* for what *others* post to you, then, yes, it IS about you and me.

And it seems to *me* when someone *does* answer you, you get extremely abusive...and start bashing *me*.

If you have a problem with anyone's posts, address THAT person; and not in such away that directly involves me, such as: @Donnamanic; it is patently obvious that both you and she thinks I am somebody I am not.

Post what you like; that's your right.
      I shall post as I like also, sorry you don't think what other bloggers talk about is unworthy, but then, it's not about you, correct?

If you do not like what people post to you, I don't want to hear it; THEY posted it, not I.

September 5, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

And you should take your own sodding advice; if *you* have nothing to say about what we're talking about, shut up yourself.

September 5, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

@ dazzle ©, Im flying blind here as far as what's in that sunscreen you use, are you sure you know every ingredient that's in it?

September 5, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Mary

@ dazzle ©, Lol , You know who you sound like? Joey Instanata Fettachini ...(excuse the misspelling of his last name)
    Anyhow, Hope she/he leave out the mineral oil which is a liquid by-product of crude oil.
    Yuk! I would never put crude oil on my skin again.
    Hage

September 5, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dazzle ©

@Mary, I miss Joey. No it's just me. No mineral oil for me. Sounds like the days we used to bake in the sun with Johnson's baby oil. At least I used to, to get a tan. I wonder how many of us mom's used Johnson's on our kids skins when they were baby's. Guilty as charged on that too.

September 5, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

@ dazzle ©, Yeah, might as well just slather pure crude oil all over your baby's bottom. Of course I only become aware just recently, so I was right there too as a mom.
      Wonder why Joey isn't MIA... He could at least check in once a week... Sundays with Philip were fun to read.
      If ya read this Joey... What gives? ;)

September 5, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |