September 5th, 2012

Wednesday's live events

The Republicans have had their say, and now it's time for the Democrats to hold their national convention.  Watch CNN.com Live for gavel-to-gavel coverage.

Today's programming highlights...

Ongoing coverage - ISS spacewalk

10:20 am ET - Ryan rally in Iowa - GOP vice presidential candidate Rep. Paul Ryan speaks at a rally with supporters in Adel, Iowa.

10:30 am ET - Pentagon briefing on Afghanistan - The controversy surrounding "green-on-blue violence" takes center stage when the commander of ISAF Joint Command briefs reporters from Kabul.

1:00 pm ET - Ann Romney in Ohio - While it doesn't appear GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney has any public events on his calendar, wife Ann will be campaigning for her hubby in Findlay, Ohio.

2:30 pm ET - Live from the #CNNGrill - CNN's Peter Hamby returns to lead a political panel discussing the headlines of the day at the DNC.

5:00 pm ET - Democratic National Convention re-convenes - The second full day of activity at the DNC takes place in Charlotte.  Among today's speakers: Bill Clinton, Elizabeth Warren, Rep. Barney Frank, Sen. Chuck Schumer and Sandra Fluke.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Elections • On CNN.com today • Politics • Space
  1. Tim1991

I hope CNN will fix it so we can see the site on our cellphones like we used to. Mine now pulls up the whole website. BTW Michelle Obama did incredible last night. Her speach was awesome. I still may vote Libertarian, but not as sure now. I just wish the president was more liberal on some of his views. Oh well.

September 5, 2012 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. Tim1991

I like Tommy Chong in 2016.

September 5, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Not without a consteatutional amendment. Born in Edmonton, like me.

September 5, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

A defendant in a lawsuit involving large sums of money was talking to his lawyer. "If I lose this case, I'll be ruined." "It's in the judge's hands now," said the lawyer. "Would it help if I sent the judge a box of cigars?" "Oh no! This judge is a stickler or ethical behavior. A stunt like that would prejudice him against you. He might even hold you in contempt of court. In fact, you shouldn't even smile at the judge." Within the course of time, the judge rendered a decision in favor of the defendant. As the defendant left the courthouse, he said to his lawyer, "Thanks for the tip about the cigars. It worked!" "I'm sure we would have lost the case if you'd sent them." "But, I did send them." "What? You did?" said the lawyer, incredulously. "Yes. That's how we won the case." "I don't understand," said the lawyer. "It's easy. I sent the cigars to the judge, but enclosed the plaintiff's business card."

September 5, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. Kenney

Obama we already know,,,,,,whats the point in breaking it even more,,,,,,womens rights will be in jeopardy and thats not right! Further maore what about the middle class and the lower class? We all need help in these areas to pull this country back together jobs and a sense of some security once again is what we all need the well off are fine its ALL THE OTHERS THAT NEED A CHANGE for the better

September 5, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

A judge in a semi-small city was hearing a drunk-driving case and the defendant, who had both a record and a reputation for driving under the influence, demanded a jury trial. It was nearly 4 P. M. And getting a jury would take time, so the judge called a recess and went out in the hall looking to impanel anyone available for jury duty. He found a dozen lawyers in the main lobby and told them that they were a jury. The lawyers thought this would be a novel experience and so followed the judge back to the courtroom.

The trial was over in about 10 minutes and it was very clear that the defendant was guilty. The jury went into the jury room, the judge started getting ready to go home, and everyone waited. After nearly three hours, the judge was totally out of patience and sent the bailiff into the jury-room to see what was holding up the verdict.

When the bailiff returned, the judge said, "Well have they got a verdict yet?"
    The bailiff shook his head and said, "Verdict? Hell, they're still doing nominating speeches for the foreman's position.

September 5, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  6. saywhat

Good morning@bobcat.
    Good ones.

September 5, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. saywhat

Listening to Gov.Patrick, Julian and especially the First lady last night was a treat. No empty "empty chair" rhetoric , more focused on the challenges faced by this admn and the changes strived for in a most in-conducive and hostile climate.

September 5, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. saywhat

Some news which folks on this blog may have missed.
    "israeli settlers attack Catholic monastery in Jerusalem" burning its door and painting anti-christian graffiti on the walls "Jesus is a monkey".
    These attacks called "price tag attacks" are common against christians, seldom reported or persecuted.

September 5, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. saywhat

Why am I being moderated ? Eh CNN ?

September 5, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

I guess you got the scoop first?lol

September 6, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat)©

Good morning saywhat

I agree. It was refreshing to have these individuals talking more of the connect with the american people. When an individual comes from humble beginnings to acheive the highest post in the nation, that says a lot. You know that they feel what the rest of us do. Been there done that should be their slogan.

September 5, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat (in a hat)©

Funny Nun and Vampires Joke

Two nuns from Ireland must traverse through Transylvania by car. They are a bit on edge. Stopped on the side of the road to rest they are startled when suddenly, out of nowhere, a diminutive Dracula jumps onto the hood of the car and hisses through the windshield.

"Quick, quick!" shouts Sister Marilyn. "Turn the wipers on! That will get
    rid of the abomination!" Sister Helen switches them on, knocking Dracula about, but he clings on and continues hissing at the nuns.

"What now?" "Switch on the windshield washer! I filled it up with Holy Water before we left ," says Sister Marilyn. Dracula screams as the water burns his skin, but he clings on and continues hissing at the nuns.

"My goodness, now what shall we do?" worries Sister Helen. "Show him your cross," says Sister Marilyn.
    "Now you're talking," says Sister Helen as she rolls down the window, leans out and screams, "Get the hell off our car!"

September 5, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat (in a hat)©

In Jerusalem, an American female journalist heard about an old rabbi who visited the Wailing Wall to pray, twice a day, everyday, for a long, long time. In an effort to check out the story, she goes to the holy site and there he is! She watches the bearded old man at prayer and after about 45 minutes, when he turns to leave, she approaches him for an interview.

"I'm Rebecca Smith from CNN, sir, how long have you been coming to the Wailing Wall and praying?" For about 50 years, he informs her. 50 years! That's amazing! What do you pray for?" "I pray for peace between the Jews and the Arabs. I pray for all the hatred to stop and I pray for all our children to grow up in safety and friendship." "And how do you feel, sir, after doing this for 50 years?" "Like I'm talking to a damn wall.

September 5, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Rawr:
      This will be promptly deleted, but it's very, very funny...

Good afternoon, by the way.

September 5, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ banasy

This one is in response to saywhats news about the people attacking the Catholic monestary. And yes, I'm surprised it's still up after 45 minutes.
      Sooooo, how the heck are you today ? dazzle jumped in for a minute but now she did her disappearing act again.

September 5, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hey, Rawr, I'm all right, just tired; I'll prolly not post a whole lot because I don't have a lot to say...
      Dazzle's at the Uni today, so she'll probably just pop in and out.

How the heck are *you*?

September 5, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ banasy

I are the heck alright ? I understand that. It's hard to imagine, but I sometimes run out of things to say too.
      I think our think I thought game wore us both out yesterday.

September 5, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • saywhat

@bobcat
      So appropriate that its not even a joke. brilliant of you to have come up with tha'one.
      good afternoon @banasy@dazzle.

September 5, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bobcat (in a hat)©

Hey dazzle

How are you doing my friend ? I've missed you the last couple of days.

September 5, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BOMBO ©

Eathquakes? Dead fish? Embassy bomb scare? 2012? Oh no! What do we do? Everybody, panic! Run around in circles creaming and waving your arms!

September 5, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

To be specific, you need to be screaming OMG OMG OMG

September 5, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Omg...I liked creaming better...cracked me up.
      I'll go put on my Blue Bonnet.
      (Tastes like butter)

September 5, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • saywhat

Paerhaps@Bombo that is desired by the powers that be.

September 5, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat (in a hat)©

Two guys go hunting. Jerry has never gone hunting while Joe has hunted all his life. When they get to the northern Wisconsin woods, Joe tells Jerry to sit by a tree and not make a sound while Joe checks out a deer stand. After he gets about a quarter of a mile away, Joe hears a blood-curdling scream. He rushes back to Jerry and yells, "I thought I told you to be quiet!" Jerry says, "Hey, I tried. I really did. When those snakes crawled over me, I didn't make a sound. When that bear was breathing down my neck, I didn't make a peep. But when those two chipmunks crawled up my pants leg and said, 'Should we take them with us or eat them here?' I couldn't keep quiet any more!"

September 5, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |