September 19th, 2012

French diplomatic missions, schools closed in 20 countries, Foreign Ministry says

French embassies and schools will be closed in about 20 countries Friday as a security precaution, French Foreign Ministry said in a statement Wednesday, after the satirical French magazine Charlie Hebdo published cartoons apparently depicting the Muslim Prophet Mohammed.

Magazine director Stephane Charbonnier said his staff is "not really fueling the fire," but rather using its freedom of expression "to comment (on) the news in a satirical way."

"It happens that the news this week is Mohammed and this lousy film, so we are drawing cartoons about this subject," Charbonnier told CNN affiliate BFM-TV on Wednesday. "It's more turning in derision this grotesque film than to make fun of Mohammed."

The "lousy film" he's referring to is "Innocence of Muslims," an amateurish, 14-minute video that mocks the Prophet Mohammed as a womanizer, child molester and killer. The video drew international attention last week and spawned heated protests in more than a dozen countries.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: France
  1. Harry

Hitory is filled with people overcoming other people, and I can guarantee you if history puts my kind on the chopping block, I'm going to fight.

September 19, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. saywhat

@joe
    I am an American,pal.
    And you must have skipped a couple points in my posts, 'Free speech has now been redefined on our soil. AIPAC, ADL and other such lobbies have made it happen. our 'free' media has been one of the victims

September 19, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joe

@saywhat, you reside in America, but you are no American. You are a sniveling cowering "blame America first" tool of Islamist expansionists.

September 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Philip 18230b

Saywhat doesn't blame America anymore than I do @Joe. And I blame avg. Americans for what America has become.
    Your avg. American is obese, deep in debt, avid aborter, wastes 40% of everythin he touches, watched his most loved Lord and savior brutalized on the big screen twice, and waves his plasticrap china made US flag wollering in his own luxuriant dung.
    We aren't dissing America! We LOVE this great land of ours. (besides what the fed stole this last go-round) It's you idiots who have confused love of country with love of government that loused her up.
    "If you love what America has become, yer a tard."-moi

September 19, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Plight of the avg. adult American

Firstly, some like Joe confuse America with avg. Americans. Like, Joe thinks @saywhat disses America. He does not. He loves America even as much or more than I myself. America would be fine if not for the avg. American. (obese, deep in debt, thinks future generations will have to pay, waves plasticrap chinmade flag and wears another one, wastes 40% of everything, has a BA degree and works as an errand boy for FOX, etc)
    It's you, Joe, who has confused love of our country with love of our government. Think. When did this happen to you in your life, Joe? How old were you when it happened.

September 19, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bad Ass

All I can say is there would be a few less Americans around had I happened to be born and raised in Afghanistan. You should see what a 12 yr. old farmboy can do with 200 lbs. of prelled amonium nitrate and a drum of diesel fuel. Improvised explosive devices my ass. I'd blowup your entire freaking base.
    All peoples go by "Don't Tread on Me". Now get the hell off my property. Freaking squatters anyhow. :)

September 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Uhadit

Christian Terrorist American Crusaders go home & enjoy with you family & friends live the Muslims to themselves you mind your own business & let other mind their own AMERICA IS NO SUPER POWER NOR POLICEMAN OF THE WORLD

September 20, 2012 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. Hollywood

The French haue the right to protect their citizens in the best way they know how.

September 24, 2012 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
  9. ralph lauren

It is quite excellent to read simple things your site content, my friend. Plus i will probably focus on your internet site daily and view your webpage to read simple things your most innovative articles or blog posts, once you modernize. Carry on! Hope you have a great morning.

October 2, 2012 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |