October 5th, 2012

New York demands documentary footage on Central Park Five case

New York City is demanding that documentary filmmaker Ken Burns hand over footage of the movie he made about five men who were wrongfully imprisoned and later exonerated for the rape of a woman in Central Park.

The demand is part of the city's attempt to defend itself against multi-million dollar federal lawsuits filed of by some of the "The Central Park Five," as the exonerated men had come to be known.

Lawyers for New York City filed a subpoena demanding Burns and his production company, Florentine Films, give them the unpublished interviews and unreleased footage not used in the documentary, which premiered at the Cannes Film Festival in May.

"The plaintiffs' interviews go to the heart of the case and cannot be obtained elsewhere," saidCeleste Koeleveld, a city attorney.

But Burns, along with his daughter, Sarah Burns, and her husband David McMahon, who co-wrote and produced the film, say they plan to fight.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Justice • U.S.
  1. Philip

I was being shallow for the sake of expediency. And if that's shallow, what's deep?
    Of course I realize you were trying to change the topic to Philip by being critical of me rather than what I posted. You were calling me 'shallow', not my recounting of history as recorded by 1st century historian Josephus and the bible.

October 5, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Philip

Well, I don't find jokes funny that perpetuate the lie that Romans are resonsible for Jesus' death.
    To me, they are as offensive as images depicting Jesus as a frail man with a gaunt-somber face. Jesus Christ was the greatests athlete, speaker, builder, religious leader,etc etc etc...The Greatest Man who ever lived.
    HE WAS A STRAPPING IMAGE OF A MAN...women swooned over him he was so beautiful. His eyes could literally stare into your heart. A mere pursed lip of his contains more truth than the entire Jewish tradition combined.
    He was a very strong and determined man who just also happened to be the HAPPIEST man who ever lived. Not some skinny looking hippy buddy Jesus as depicted today.

October 5, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

I wouldn't normally ask this of you, but where, anywhere in the bible does it give such a description of the man known as Jesus ? The "image" of Jesus has been depicted in so many different manners. Yet here is the one "true" thing,
      NOBODY KNOWS. There is no way to know.

October 5, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Post what one wants, and bciah will post what he wants, and as our famous troll GP/KR would post, "it's as simple as that".

I would think that an intelligent person would not take a joke as the word of the Lord, and I'm fairly smart, and didn't even *see* the joke.

October 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. dazzle ©

Hello all, this case scared the life out of us that lived near Central Park and I can't believe its making headlines again. Now the city has cameras and a huge police presence but that is because of 9/11.

October 5, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Hello dazzle

How are you doing today ? Good to see you.

October 5, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hellllllo, Miss D!
      It's making headlines again because NY is trying to defend the indefesible: that this city sent 5 people to prison that were absolutely innocent of the charges.
      The defence can demand anything they want; it doesn't change *that* fact any.
      The rationale that "these guys weren't choirboys and so they deserved it" doesn't change the fact that although they may have ended up in prison in the future, punishing them for a crime they didn't commit is absolutely wrong!
      Thank goodness for DNA and that it has advanced enough to exonerate them.

October 5, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Saywhat, my dear man, you are never stale, and if I can read it, (this dastardly phone!) I certainly will.

October 5, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. raven

Actually there are no physical descriptions of Jesus in the bible. Although in Isaiah(52, I think) it does say " There was no majesty to behold in him. He was not comely that he should be desired".

October 6, 2012 at 2:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. attorney-online.info

this is a perfect article on legal issues. It shows that you are a professional and responsible attorney who takes care about his clients. Let me invite you to my attorney directory http://attorney-online.info/dir Lawyers can add here their contacts without any charge.

October 6, 2012 at 9:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Greek American

So are the NY representatives trying to say that these 5 people do not deserve some type of compensation for the hell they went through? Is this part of them trying to somehow downplay the situation, thinking that the wrongfully accused will not get as much money?

October 6, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Philip

Moses was intimidated by large crowds of people, and was a very poor speaker of words. So, his brother Aaron usually spoke for him.
    This too runs parallel to the life of Jesus Christ whose voice has been garbled right along with the image of him being projected by our religious leaders and cartoonists alike. And so there are those familiar with him, Jesus, who speak-out on his behalf.
    The defenses I have made for Jesus Christ are like a strong tower compared to the little picket fences ea. partisan microblogger here has built around the politicians they profess to love and defend. (a challenge)

October 7, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • raven

Nope. With all due respect, the passages I posted are referring to Jesus. But I WAS mistaken about the chapter. It's 53. And if your challenge was directed at me, I'm not sure why, because I avoid politics here like the plague. My challenge to you would be : find any post, any where, any time I have made endorsing or supporting or defending any politicians.

October 7, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • WASP

bwark quote the raven philip's a w h o r e. lmfao

October 8, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

And WHERE in the bible does it say all THAT Philip? Nowhere in the bible does anyone speak like a guttersnipe like you just did! Now youre trying to make the bible sound like trash? Shame on you!

October 7, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. banasy©

Comparing Jesus with anyone, political or not, is extremely absurd, and thinly-v e i l ed insults to the bloggers who talk about politics on a political thread is even more absurd.
    I would suggest that one who reads the Good Book would do more to live it, and cut the unsubtle digs out, for it is tedious and does zero to validate any point that one is trying to make.

October 7, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Mickey1313

Why are people blathering about jeebus on this thread? This has nothing to do with the book/cult if horrors

October 8, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply