Here is a look at some of the stories that CNN plans to follow this week:
Biden, Ryan face off
Vice President Joe Biden and Republican vice-presidential nominee Paul Ryan will duke it out Thursday in the first and only vice-presidential debate. The showdown takes place at at Centre College in Danville, Kentucky.
A recent CNN/ORC International Poll found that 55% of likely voters thought Ryan would fare better in the debate, while 39% said Biden would win.
Biden and Ryan face off eight days after President Barack Obama and GOP candidate Mitt Romney met on stage. Obama and Romney will debate again on October 16.
Romney to deliver major foreign policy address¬†
Mitt Romney will deliver a major speech on foreign policy Monday in Virginia, an aide to the Republican presidential nominee said last week, as bloodshed continued in Syria and fresh questions surfaced about the Obama administration's handling of last month's consulate attack in Libya.
The speech, which a source said would take place at the Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, comes as foreign policy has taken a larger role on the campaign trail.
Romney has criticized Obama for his dealings with Iran and China. Immediately following the consulate attack, Romney accused Obama's administration of sending "mixed signals" on American values. He was roundly criticized, including by some Republicans, for injecting politics into a dangerous international situation. Since his initial statements, new developments have called into question the administration's handling of security at the Benghazi consulate, both before and after the attack.
Sandusky to be sentenced in child rape case
Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky may be sentenced on Tuesday after a hearing to determine if¬†he's a sexually violent predator, according to court documents.
After a three-week trial featuring emotional and often graphic testimony from eight of the former Penn State assistant football coach's victims, a 12-person jury in June convicted him on 45 of 48 counts.
Jurors heard from eight young men who testified that when they were boys, Sandusky forced them to engage in sexual acts in showers in Penn State's athletics facilities, hotel rooms, the basement of his home and other places. The abuse spanned at least 15 years.
Congressional hearing on Libya attack
The House Oversight Committee is planning a Wednesday hearing on the attack in Libya and related security issues.
The committee will ask Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to testify amid reports that the State Department turned down requests for additional security before the attack.
"Multiple U.S. federal government officials have confirmed to the Committee that, prior to the September 11 (2012) attack, the U.S. mission in Libya made repeated requests for increased security in Benghazi," said a letter from Reps. Darrell Issa and Jason Chaffetz to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. "The mission in Libya, however, was denied these resources by officials in Washington."
The Republicans demanded answers to several questions and testimony at Wednesday's hearing – the only hearing on any matter currently scheduled before Election Day.
Pussy Riot appeal hearing to continue
The appeal hearing will continue on Wednesday for three members of the Russian punk rock band Pussy Riot, who were sentenced¬†to two years for performing a song critical of President Vladimir Putin.
One of the band members, Yekaterina Samutsevich, said Monday that she no longer wants to work with an attorney who doesn't share her views in the case.
The women were convicted in August of hooliganism, sparking an international outcry. Authorities charged them after they criticized Putin in one of Moscow's grandest cathedrals.
A judge rejected the women's defense that they were acting from political motives, ruling that they had intended to insult the Orthodox Church and undermine public order.
A day before the hearing, the Russian Orthodox Church¬†appealed for¬†leniency for the band members, according to state-owned Ria Novosti.
NHL season delayed ... again
As a result of its ongoing player lockout, the National Hockey League is canceling regular-season games through October 24.
The season was scheduled to start October 11, but recent meetings between representatives for the players union and the NHL have failed to produce a collective bargaining agreement.
NHL.com reported Tuesday that NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said the players and owners had lost $100 million due to the cancellation of the preseason.