October 12th, 2012

Keith Campbell, who cloned Dolly the sheep, dead at 58

Keith Campbell, the scientist who helped pioneer the birth of Dolly the sheep, the world's first mammal cloned from fully developed adult cells, has died, according to The University of Nottingham.

Campbell, 58, died on October 5, according to a university statement released Thursday. His funeral has been scheduled for October 24.

The university did not say how he died.

Campbell was part of a team at the Roslin Institute near Edinburgh, Scotland, that cloned Dolly in 1996. Her birth made headlines worldwide, capturing the scientific imagination of many while generating intense controversy over the ethics of cloning.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Science
  1. banasy©

That's awfully young to have passed away.
    Condolences to his family and friends.

October 12, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

Two clones are on a roof. One was flashing everyone who walked by. The other clone pushes the first clone off the roof..

The next day the police arrest him for making an obscene clone fall.

October 12, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

BOBCAT!
      How ARE you, my friend?
      How was your vacation?
      I've missed you, terribly.

October 12, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Hello banasy
      I haven't started my vacation yet. We'll be leaving ut for the mountains on Sunday. I am really looking torward to this.
      apologize for my absence but things have been so unreal lately. I've been,In the words of BTO, Taking Care Of Business. And believe, it has rubbed my last nerve raw. Head clearing time.
      So anyway, how the heck you been doing. I'm so out of touch with you guys, I have no idea whats going on.

October 12, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Oh, I am sorry; I wish I could make your troubles disappear...if there is ever anything I can ever do to help, please let me know.
      Nothing has changed here; like a soap opera, you can be gone weeks and come back and know immediately what's going on.
      Same old, same old.
      Jackers are out today working the last nerve of a plaster saint; beware.

October 12, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Now for my kvetch:
    CNN, please remove the share icons from the mobile site.
    There is no reason to have them twice, and it makes my pages load slower and makes the text display wonky.
    Thank you.

October 12, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Your daily kvetch is something else I've missed.

October 12, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

As one can tell by my posting, it has done absolutely no good, much as the "report abuse" button doeesn't.

October 12, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. BOMBO ©

In Scotland, they call them cloons.

October 12, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

LMAO, BOMBO ©!
      Is their official piece of music Clair de Cloon?

October 12, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. catharsishungry07

Sad to hear:(

October 12, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Aldona

What does it mean that he died from "undisclosed causes"? Has anybody any idea?

November 5, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply