October 15th, 2012

Giant Florida eyeball belonged to a swordfish, state says

It looks like the big blue eyeball found on a Florida beach last week was cut out of a swordfish hauled in by a deep-sea angler, the state Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said Monday.

A beachcomber found the softball-sized eyeball on the sand in Pompano Beach, Florida, on Wednesday, speculating that perhaps it came from a squid.

But experts who examined the eyeball made their call of swordfish based on the its size (softball), color (blue) and structure (presumably swordfishy), according to a statement from Joan Herrera, curator of collections at the agency's Fish and Wildlife Research Institute in St. Petersburg.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Florida • U.S.
  1. saywhat

Great news, thanks CNN.
    The Floridans, must have been in a state of anxiety. Speculation perhaps was that one of the aliens crawling out of the sea when their space craft crashed , may have lost it.
    How didn't I know about what was going on in Florida in the first place?

October 15, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I laughed at the part about the structure, (presumably swordfishy).
      I know Floridians will sleep better knowing that the alien invasion hasn't happened.
      Yet.

October 15, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ben

It looked like something on the Bizarre Foods show.

October 15, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. Hide Behind

Now if I was a one eyed swordfish this article would be of interest.

October 15, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • One-Eyed Swordfish (aka Willy)

Aye, ye are correct matey. I do find yar wordy blurby to be of use. I just wish I knew where ye land-lubbers be stashin' ma' eyeball. Not havin' it is hinderin' me huntin.'

October 15, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jeepers!

I'm suddenly in the mood for fishsticks. mmmmm

October 15, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sinfully Yours

I see said the blind swordfish to the deaf fisherman!

October 15, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

And IM laughing at the hillarious posts on here! lmao you guys are awesome!

October 15, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat (in a hat)©

EYE see all.

October 15, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

A group of Kentucky friends went deer hunting and paired off in twos for the day. That night, one of the hunters returned alone, staggering under the weight of an eight-point buck.

"Where's Henry?" the others asked.

"Henry had a stroke of some kind. He's a couple of miles back up the trail," the successful hunter replied.

"You left Henry laying out there and carried the deer back?" they
    inquired.

"A tough call," nodded the hunter. "But I figured ain't nobody gona
    steal Henry!"

October 15, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat)©

After having their 11th child, a Kentucky couple decided that was enough(they could not afford a larger double wide).

So, the husband went to his doctor (who also treated mules) and told him that he and his wife/cousin didn't want to have any more children.

The doctor told him that there was a procedure called a vasectomy that could fix the problem. The doctor instructed him to go home, get a cherry bomb (fireworks are legal in Kentucky), light it, put it in a beer can, then hold the can up to his ear and count to 10.

The Kentuckian said to the doctor, "I may not be the smartest man, but I don't see how putting a cherry bomb in a beer can next to my ear is going to help me." So, the couple drove to Ohio to get a second opinion.

The Ohio physician was just about to tell them about the procedure for a vasectomy when he noticed that they were from Kentucky. This doctor instead told the man to go home and get a cherry bomb, light it, place it in a beer can, hold it to his ear and count to 10.

Figuring that both learned physicians couldn't be wrong, the man went home, lit a cherry bomb and put it in a beer can. He held the can up to his ear and began to count. "1, 2, 3, 4, 5. . . . ", at which point he paused, placed the beer can between his legs and resumed counting on his other hand....

October 15, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat)©

Hello chrissy

I'm glad I was able to put a couple jokes out. I know they've been few and far between lately, but life decided to make itself a priority. But, I think I see some daylight now. THIS TOO SHALL PASS
    But that's enough on me. How the heck are you doing ?

October 15, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. fernace

I think Flo Rida should write a hiphop/techno/club anthem about this! The I Is Watching U!!

October 15, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Fernace:
      Flo Rida has his eye all over that...

October 15, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BOMBO ©

Giant Florida Eyeball. That has a nice ring to it. Maybe one of the Florida universities should adopt it as a mascot. Imagine the logo. I would BUY that jersey.

October 15, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. uh

how come it says there is twenty eight posts and only let you see three?

October 15, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. fernace

LOL, banasy, dapper is the word!!

October 16, 2012 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  15. Rascal Rabble

my-y-y-y, what big eyes you have...

October 16, 2012 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |