October 15th, 2012

Giant Florida eyeball belonged to a swordfish, state says

It looks like the big blue eyeball found on a Florida beach last week was cut out of a swordfish hauled in by a deep-sea angler, the state Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said Monday.

A beachcomber found the softball-sized eyeball on the sand in Pompano Beach, Florida, on Wednesday, speculating that perhaps it came from a squid.

But experts who examined the eyeball made their call of swordfish based on the its size (softball), color (blue) and structure (presumably swordfishy), according to a statement from Joan Herrera, curator of collections at the agency's Fish and Wildlife Research Institute in St. Petersburg.

Post by:
Filed under: Florida • U.S.
  1. saywhat

Great news, thanks CNN.
    The Floridans, must have been in a state of anxiety. Speculation perhaps was that one of the aliens crawling out of the sea when their space craft crashed , may have lost it.
    How didn't I know about what was going on in Florida in the first place?

October 15, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I laughed at the part about the structure, (presumably swordfishy).
      I know Floridians will sleep better knowing that the alien invasion hasn't happened.

October 15, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ben

It looked like something on the Bizarre Foods show.

October 15, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. Hide Behind

Now if I was a one eyed swordfish this article would be of interest.

October 15, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • One-Eyed Swordfish (aka Willy)

Aye, ye are correct matey. I do find yar wordy blurby to be of use. I just wish I knew where ye land-lubbers be stashin' ma' eyeball. Not havin' it is hinderin' me huntin.'

October 15, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jeepers!

I'm suddenly in the mood for fishsticks. mmmmm

October 15, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sinfully Yours

I see said the blind swordfish to the deaf fisherman!

October 15, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

And IM laughing at the hillarious posts on here! lmao you guys are awesome!

October 15, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat (in a hat)©

EYE see all.

October 15, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

A group of Kentucky friends went deer hunting and paired off in twos for the day. That night, one of the hunters returned alone, staggering under the weight of an eight-point buck.

"Where's Henry?" the others asked.

"Henry had a stroke of some kind. He's a couple of miles back up the trail," the successful hunter replied.

"You left Henry laying out there and carried the deer back?" they

"A tough call," nodded the hunter. "But I figured ain't nobody gona
    steal Henry!"

October 15, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat)©

After having their 11th child, a Kentucky couple decided that was enough(they could not afford a larger double wide).

So, the husband went to his doctor (who also treated mules) and told him that he and his wife/cousin didn't want to have any more children.

The doctor told him that there was a procedure called a vasectomy that could fix the problem. The doctor instructed him to go home, get a cherry bomb (fireworks are legal in Kentucky), light it, put it in a beer can, then hold the can up to his ear and count to 10.

The Kentuckian said to the doctor, "I may not be the smartest man, but I don't see how putting a cherry bomb in a beer can next to my ear is going to help me." So, the couple drove to Ohio to get a second opinion.

The Ohio physician was just about to tell them about the procedure for a vasectomy when he noticed that they were from Kentucky. This doctor instead told the man to go home and get a cherry bomb, light it, place it in a beer can, hold it to his ear and count to 10.

Figuring that both learned physicians couldn't be wrong, the man went home, lit a cherry bomb and put it in a beer can. He held the can up to his ear and began to count. "1, 2, 3, 4, 5. . . . ", at which point he paused, placed the beer can between his legs and resumed counting on his other hand....

October 15, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat)©

Hello chrissy

I'm glad I was able to put a couple jokes out. I know they've been few and far between lately, but life decided to make itself a priority. But, I think I see some daylight now. THIS TOO SHALL PASS
    But that's enough on me. How the heck are you doing ?

October 15, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. fernace

I think Flo Rida should write a hiphop/techno/club anthem about this! The I Is Watching U!!

October 15, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Flo Rida has his eye all over that...

October 15, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BOMBO ©

Giant Florida Eyeball. That has a nice ring to it. Maybe one of the Florida universities should adopt it as a mascot. Imagine the logo. I would BUY that jersey.

October 15, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. uh

how come it says there is twenty eight posts and only let you see three?

October 15, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. fernace

LOL, banasy, dapper is the word!!

October 16, 2012 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  15. Rascal Rabble

my-y-y-y, what big eyes you have...

October 16, 2012 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |