Four more deaths in meningitis outbreak
The fungus Exserohilum has been implicated in the current outbreak of fungal meningitis.
October 17th, 2012

Four more deaths in meningitis outbreak

The number of people who have died from a 15-state outbreak of noncontagious fungal meningitis has risen to 19, up four from Saturday, the Centers for Disease Control said Wednesday.

The cases have been linked to injections of a contaminated steroid produced by the New England Compounding Center. Some 14,000 people may have received the injections, the CDC estimated last week.

The number of fungal meningitis cases associated with the injections has risen to 245 12 more than Tuesday, the CDC says. Two people also have contracted peripheral joint infections; neither has died, according to the CDC.

Members of Congress are involved in an investigation of the outbreak.

Meningitis is an inflammation of the protective membranes covering the brain and spinal cord. It is usually caused by an infection, frequently with bacteria or a virus, but it can also be caused by less common pathogens, such as fungi in this case, according to the CDC.  Fungal meningitis is very rare and, unlike viral and bacterial meningitis, is not contagious.

Sixty-one cases have been reported in Tennessee, with 48 in Michigan, 37 in Virginia and 32 in Indiana. Cases also have been reported in Florida (13); Idaho (one); Illinois (one); Maryland (16); Minnesota (seven); New Hampshire (six); New Jersey (12); North Carolina (two); Ohio (nine); Pennsylvania (one); and Texas (one).

October 16, 2012: FDA warns patients to be vigilant about drugs from compounding center

1. Patrick

This is getting pretty bad. It's scary when you go to get a shot and end up much sicker than you originally were.

October 17, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kim

RIP to all those who have died

October 17, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sean

I'm afraid to get any shots now including a flu shot.

October 17, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

Get your meningitis shot its so worth it

October 17, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • camd

Pharmaceuticals from companies licensed to make them are still safe. The problem here was a company operating beyond what it was authorized by the FDA to do.

Just a reminder of why we need federal government regulations!

October 17, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. lily

Come on-this was a sting operation–the guy didn't pick the sight--the FBI did-, they also picked the timing of the fake attack--Just a wag the dog moment to boost Obamas street Cred!

October 17, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Meanwhile...

...another 40 thousand die FROM AIDS PANDEMIC.

October 17, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

And if they developed a vaccine or a cure for it you would be staunchly against it being anti-pharm...what a conundrum.

October 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Meanwhile...

...RIP to all those who will die tomorrow. (I'm taking the day off and felt compelled to show a face of sorrow to the general publik. (Publik is how Benjamin Franklin spelled. No kidding)

October 17, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

This is why compounding companies NEED to be under FDA control, as they currently are not.
    The NECC was located in the same complex as two other companies it owns; an trash compacting company and a recycling center.
    Congress, get off your duffs, quit taking the money from compounding company lobbyists, and get those federal guidelines in place!!

October 17, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Portland tony

Every executive with this company should be charged with manslaughter or "depraved indifference", since being part of a Personhood (corporation) they can always take the bankruptcy route.

October 17, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mary

The FDA rarely over-sees anything. Most of the testing labs are over-seas with poor reports to boot.

October 17, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I suggest you look up what compounding pharmacies do; I am not talking about testing a new drug.
      The FDA ABSOLUTELY should be issue guidelines, and these compounding companies ABSOLUTELY should be following at the very LEAST basic hygienic conditions.
      If you don't agree, that's your right, I suppose.

October 17, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TvNyC

Its 4:44 make a wish

October 18, 2012 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. TvNyC

@banasy you are my wishes

October 18, 2012 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. miff

I servive and fight fungel meningites daily Having a fungus espacaly in your brain caunes your PH to change and that is what probbly killes you not the fungus it self so mantaining a PH ballance Its is importaint I founght PH with Acidophlas but it didnt help as much as taking apple cider vinniger I was afraid to take it at firts caus dr. had me on medcation for acid indegestion but i realized i couldent have to much acid ihad fungus i had alcolosis not acidosis so apple cider vinniger tablets with calcsium I have amylodosis so when I bate I put viniger in my bath watter i use a stretch mark moistureizer with bees wax and mix it with viniger and apply after my bath it protects the folds in my boddy wher the fungus want to grow I have learned To use all the products proccesed with acitedic acid as possable . I dont think IV killd the fungus but IT HASENT KILLED ME ITHER

October 18, 2012 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |