Uruguay poised to legalize abortion
The Uruguayan Senate passes a law legalizing abortion in Montevideo on Wednesday.
October 17th, 2012

Uruguay poised to legalize abortion

Uruguay's senate passed a bill Wednesday that would legalize abortion during the first trimester of pregnancy.

Leftist President Jose Mujica has said he will sign the bill into law, which will make it the latest in a number of laws in the region that go against the grain of the traditionally very Catholic, socially conservative Latin America.

Most countries in Latin America allow abortion only in cases of rape, incest, to save a woman's life, or when a fetus is malformed. Uruguay would become just the second Latin American country where abortion is legal on request.

The bill sparked heated debate in the South American country. The senate passed the bill by a 17-14 vote. The  lower legislative house in August passed it by a 50-49 vote after a 16-hour session.

August 2012: Uruguay takes step to legalize abortion

FULL STORY
Post by: ,
Filed under: Abortion • Uruguay
  1. Uruguaya

I was born in Uruguay to a young, unwed woman who couldn't take care of me and gave me up, along with my 3 siblings (that I am aware of) to never look back. I don't know how many kids she may have had or where she ended up but it's a vicious cycle of poverty and lack of choices. The cycle needs to end.

October 17, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hindu

You would not have been born had this law been under effect - your mom would have killed you in the womb.

October 17, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Hindu,

If she had never been born, she wouldn't know what she had missed so it's totally irrelevent.

October 17, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. me.2

It would be nice if people that didn't want a baby were a little more responsible, but if the baby is unwanted, abortion should be an option. Abortion is less torturous then a child growing up knowing and feeling he/she is unwanted. Not to mention, our planet's population is increasing at a rate in which we can't keep up.

October 17, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Uruguaya

Exactly!

October 17, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • RC

HEY "me.2", I read my adoptive daughter, who was abused and told by her bio-parents many times she should have been aborted, your statement. She said, "I would rather be alive". That even thought all kinds of bad things happened to her, she, and her sisters who were never adopted by anyone since they were teenagers, are glad they are all alive. So don't assume someone would rather not live then have had that life, because I, as a foster parent to this kids can tell you your assumption is dead wrong.

October 17, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

Hey, RC. Are you in Uraguay? If not, what do you know about conditions there?

October 17, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Judy

Who are you to say who lives and who dies?

October 17, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Akira

RC, how great for your adopted kid that she has you. Now, please go and adopt the tens of thousands who will never get adopted....they await you and your kindness.

October 17, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. cp

What is wrong with women in this day and age not using birth control?

October 17, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carol

What is wrong with men in this day and age not wearing condoms?

October 17, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beadlesaz

Carol – perfect reply!!!!

October 17, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jorge

Men do not bear the consequences of pregnancy, so have no incentive to take precautions. Women do bear the consequences, so ought to show a little prudence or responsibility. You've convinced yourself that the genders are equal. Alas, they're not. I cannot bear offspring, but I can impregnate you and walk away.

October 17, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Praise Jebus

It's a Catholic country. They are vehemently against birth control, but people are going to exercise the biological prime directive.

October 17, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

By that same token, Jorge, after you walked away, she has every right to terminate the pregnancy if she so chooses.

October 17, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Al

Against abortion? Don't have one.

Let a woman do what she wants with her body. We men should not have a say.

October 17, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. J

Sad that while many countries are progressing Uruguay is regressing.

October 17, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • amlowlife

Sad to think that Uruguay is progressing while the U.S. is regressing...

October 17, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TN Farmer

Abortion is murder. Always has been. Always will be. You can sugar-coat it. Call it different names. Come up with all kinds of euphemisms to make it less ugly. Justify it in a thousand ways. Instead of lifting a finger...or spending a dime...to help someone struggling with raising their children, you sit there in your 3+ bedroom houses with more food than you can eat and chant for these women to kill one of the few joys in their lives. Women murder their babies because they feel they don't have any choice. How ironic.

October 17, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Observer

TN Farmer,

Abortion is not murder. Murder is illegal.

October 17, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Akira

What have you done, TN Farme, what finger have you lifted, what do you do to help these women besides come on here with your bs? Bet you're the same kind that would vote to cut aid to these women trying to raise their kids, right? RIGHT?

October 17, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • luizkarluz

The Conservatives of the United States are always so concerned with abortion. Why don't they do everything in their power to make sure life is preserved until it is its natural time to die. Nonetheless, these Conservatives are usually the ones who favor capital punishment, wars and the elimination of any health and assistant government programs to those who are in need. For them, social programs in their own country is too expensive but it is okay to spend the billions of dollars that could improve the lives of their own people to kill so many innocent lives such as in the Iraq war...

October 17, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Praise Jebus

Nah, not murder. Here's a test to see if you're a person:
      1. Do you breath air?
      2. Do you consume food/water?
      2. Could anyone recognize you?
      3. Can you survive without being physically attached to another person?

If you answered 'no' to any of these questions, then you are not a person. Perhaps human flesh, but not a person.

By your logic, most women could be prosecuted for manslaughter with spontaneous abortions because their body caused an accidental, but very real, death. Every toilet on the planet should have tombstones around it for all of the dead that have been flushed there. Here are some questions if a fetus is a person.
      1. Can a fetus be named in a lawsuit?
      2. Should fetuses receive social security numbers in the USA?
      3. Can you transfer guardianship of a fetus?
      4. Which nationality is a fetus while its mother is traveling? Can it claim american citizenship if she passes through the USA?
      5. If it's an individual and a woman doesn't it want it in her body, would you adopt the fetus upon removal?

food for thought

October 17, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Mary,

"God's law decides life and death"

The Bible NEVER mentions abortion, but Christians love to pretend it does.

October 17, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I once asked this question on a similar thread:
      Would any of the anti-choice folks be willing to go to an abortion clinic, take a girl contemplating an abortion home, feed her, take care of her prenatal needs, and upon having the baby, adopt the baby from her and raise the child as their own?
      Do you want to know the answer I got?
      "No, because I am not responsible for HER SIN."
      Precisely.
      This is the typical person speaking for the unborn.

I don't advocate abortion, but I DO advocate choice!

October 17, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Praise Jebus

I'm fascinated by the tears shed for the fetuses (which come and go just by nature anyway) when there are actual walking talking people and actual children out there that need real help. It seems that pro-life folks are generally very concerned and nearly violently protective of a 'person' until they're out of the uterus. After that, "you're on your own, bud." Especially if that grown-fetus has done something 'sinful', like exercise a biological prime directive.

October 18, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  7. Deloris

Can anyone who has had an abortion tell me honestly how it impacts your emotional state, short term and long term? Does it make a difference how far along you are when you do it?

October 17, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Here and there

I had an abortion 25+ years ago. I got pregnant while taking birth control pills. I was in my early 20s and was not a candidate to become a mother for many different reasons at the time in my life. I had an abortion around 8 weeks. It was a sad event, but I had no long term emotional, spiritual or physical repercussions as a result of my decision. I have peace and know that I made the right choice for myself. I am now a Mom of two healthy happy children. I know several women who have had abortions – they too are peaceful with their choice. I do know one man who got deeply upset (and remains deeply upset and virulently anti-choice to this day) when a woman he was involved with aborted a pregnancy that he may have fathered. Abortion effects people differently and every women's situation is very personal and unique – this is why the women must have the final say.

October 17, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. LDR

No one has the right to someone elses body. Until the child is actually born, it is not a person. If a women wants to have an abortion its her right. People seem to think people go around having abortions like its automatic. They don't realize the heart wrenching decisions it really is.

Its easy to sit at home and pretend youre self righteous and that women should be forced to have children they cant care for. I have yet to see one of these extremists step up to the plate and put down millions and millions of dollars to raise children that would have been aborted. You want these children so lets see you pay for them.

Whats that? Its not your responsibility to pay for something like that? Good, then its also not your say on what else happens. So sit down now. Thankyou

October 17, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jt_flyer

At least American women will have somewhere to go once Romney is elected.

October 17, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Observer

They can just wait around until Romney flip-flops again.

October 17, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. God

Murdering my innocent children is never the right answer. Those who do so will be accountable....

October 17, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Observer

God,

Your BIble NEVER mentioned abortion. Did YOU read it?

October 17, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Praise Jebus

Please God, save me from your followers!

October 18, 2012 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

To Observer:
      Exodus Ch 21:22 I will let the word speak here.

If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; he shall pay as the judges determine. And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life. Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

October 18, 2012 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  11. SavetheBabies

Pro-abortionists, at least admit that all you really want is the illusion of guilt-free choice even at the cost of another life. What is the difference between murdering a helpless, 2-day old baby that can't survive on its own and a baby that is 2 days from being born? Or 2 weeks from being born? Or 2 months? Or just after conception? One's rights end where another individual's rights begin. A baby, born 2 days ago or 2 days from being born is a human and therefore has rights. Just because abortion is "legal" doesn't justify it and doesn't stop it from being murder. How sad that people will kill the most innocent and helpless of all humans and call it "choice." This is no comparison to capital punishment - that is, punishing people actually guilty of heinous crimes. And by the way, there are lots of people who would be glad to take in an unwanted baby. My wife and I included - please respond to this and we'll help out someone who is contemplating an abortion. I know of many, many couples who have adopted or would like to adopt unwanted kids, and many who are on waiting lists. Plus there are lots of organizations out there who will help pregnant women find homes for newborns they are unwilling or unable to care for. The arguments used by pro-abortionists are all the same - nothing but bad logic and sad excuses.

October 18, 2012 at 3:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Sandra Fluke

I want abortions in the third trimester, and I want it for free. Uraguay are a bunch of teabagger right wing extremists.

October 18, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply