Iconic 'Big Tex' burns
A fire Friday morning reduced the iconic "Big Texas" symbol to a charred metal skeleton.
October 19th, 2012

Iconic 'Big Tex' burns

"Big Tex," the larger-than-life symbol of the Texas State Fair for 60 years, is big no more.

Flames consumed the towering figure in size 70 boots and 75-gallon hat at the fairgrounds in Dallas on Friday. Within 10 minutes, he was gone.

Big Tex made his debut 60 years ago, welcoming visitors to the Texas State Fair with a booming voice. For many Texans, he had become as much of an institution as the Alamo.

The fire started about 10:30 a.m. Friday, Texas State Fair spokeswoman Debbie Flatt said. No one was injured.

Haley Breedlove of Dallas sent CNN iReport a photo of the Big Tex on fire.  She said he was part of her childhood memory and described the fire as "sad."

Read CNN affiliate KTVT's coverage

Post by:
Filed under: Texas • U.S.
  1. Bobby Hill

Bummer.

October 21, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. burningman

Turn it into a burning man festival!

October 21, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mike

burn the rest of the state down

October 21, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • sds

That's not funny. What is wrong with you? That's a terrible thing to say.

October 21, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • chick

How rude of you to say that. I hope you stub your pinky toe in the morning on your bedpost. And when you feel that sharp pain remember you're stupid remark about texas.

October 22, 2012 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. james

They will barbecue anything in Texas

October 21, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dasea

it neededs some better NSA gear. And that new 20/80 micro paint. 80 % paint 20% listening devices.

October 21, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dasea

funny photo though.

October 21, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Texas Spring

Looks like Big Tex set himself on fire in protest of Texas shaming loss to OU.

October 21, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Aimee

As someone who has been going to the Texas State Fair for about, oh, 30 years, this was really sad. I'm 35 and have been going every year since I was a little girl. I made it out there yesterday and there was no Big Tex :( He was iconic. If you do not go, you really don't get it. The common saying, the most common phrase used at the fair every year is when you look to your friends who you are meeting up with at the fair is, "I'll meet you at Big Tex." Everyone meets up at Big Tex...The Texas State Fair is so much fun, you have no idea! And for those wondering, Fletchers is fine. The Fletchers corny dog stand did not get burned. :) This was the next question asked of those of us that live here and are avid Fair attendees. Fletchers is right next to Big Tex. I work close to the State Fair so if I have a free pass, I'll head on over at lunch, grab me a corny dog, enjoy my time for 30 minutes then head back to work on the Dart train. LOVE IT! So, see ya next year Big Tex. Get well soon.

October 21, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mike

Was GW around, looking sheepish? This sounds like one of his "accidents". Can't trust that boy with a butane torch and rock cocaine.

October 21, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Some Guy

Forgive me for saying this but who cares? Big Tex is a thing, and things can be easily replaced. And not just that its a tacky, hokey thing. Its not like someone threw acid on the Mona Lisa.

October 21, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. littlel

#42 Hee Haw, you sound like a real jerk! I'm from California, but grew up in Texas/cuz my dad worked for NASA. You don't know squat about Texas, or Texans.

October 22, 2012 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. Your world is occult, but U R 2 dumb to realize

What parallel is The location of this thing, hey its on the 33rd degree, get it?

October 22, 2012 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  13. Follow the money

Insurance scam...

October 22, 2012 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. 123abc

It was probably a gun that caused the fire...if guns were outlawed, this never would have happened.

October 22, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |