Hurricane coming, island residents warned; U.S. could be next
Tropical Storm Sandy is expected to be a hurricane by Wednesday morning.
October 23rd, 2012

Hurricane coming, island residents warned; U.S. could be next

Millions of people in the Caribbean are being warned to get ready for a hurricane that's expected to strike tomorrow, bringing destructive waves and life-threatening mudslides.

Tropical Storm Sandy will be a hurricane by morning, and Jamaica, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, and Cuba are in its projected path, the National Hurricane Center says.

Some areas could see 20 inches of rain in the coming days.

The United States might be in for a battering as well.

As Sandy pushes its way northeast, it could brush by Florida on Friday, says CNN Meteorologist Dave Hennen.  Some forecasts say it could go on to slam the Northeast on Halloween, but other forecast models say Sandy could miss the United States entirely.

Jamaica is under a hurricane warning.  Cuba issued a hurricane watch in several areas, and much of the Bahamas is under a tropical storm watch.

Follow the weather anywhere at CNN.com/weather.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Bahamas • Cuba • Florida • Hurricanes • Jamaica • Tropical weather • U.S. • Weather
  1. Connie

The lord is in control of tha weather and everything else and we better be looking up for our lord and saviour Jesus Christ is coming

October 23, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*Sean

James 1:13 says that God does cause trials and suffering. He allows it, but does not cause it. Therefore he is not controlling the weather currently, otherwise He would be causing the damage and effects of all the horrific weather worldwide. The Bible in that verse says that is not the case.

October 23, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Major Genarl Angelo

This is my favorite time of the year when this storms forum in a way i hope it turns into a monster like Huricane Grace did in 1991 if anyone remembers that movie the Perfect storm is it possble it could happen agine where to storm systerms come together to from a monster i like to see it

October 23, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • fritz

The thing I've always wondered about is whether or not jesus H Christ banged Mary Mag. I'm kinda thinkin' he did, but who really knows? Also, did jesus' poop smell holy? Or did it stink like anyone elses? By the way,the weather is the weather. It's generally caused by latent heat, warm wet air masses colliding with heavier, dry cold air masses. It can become violent at times You could call it a natural act of Mother Nature. Jesus H Christ is a 2,000 year old dead guy and therefore has nothing to do with it.

October 24, 2012 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
    • shon

god is a myth keep dreaming! the bible is in the fiction section!

October 24, 2012 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
    • mrdore2u

Please. save the jesus stuff.. doesn't belong here..

October 24, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • MakalethB

Be NOT Deceived! For the NAME is not of the ANGELS but of Belial and his horde and minions! Shudder at you sin and drink not of the CIDER tree that is man's temptation and the WEAKNESS of woman!

October 24, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Werner

It is not she Lord who is in control of the hurricans, it is Thor, the God of Thunder and Lightning. Also Neptun the God of the sea plays a very important role.
      What I am trying to say is the fact, that no God has anything to to with when and where a hurrican strikes.

October 24, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. maias

I'll feel sorry for Florida residents if Hurrican Sandy strikes. The aftermath will doubtless include vote-seeking visits from Barack Obama and Mitt Romney seeking to avoid a GW Bush-style Katrina moment.

October 23, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • mrdore2u

we cant get a vote correct anyway.. remember.. "Florida.. home of the hanging chad"

October 24, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. joshua

people take this storm seriously. God is calling everyone to repentance. there will be real serious flooding. I see people running up to the mountains running from the water. Jesus is coming soon.

October 23, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • mrdore2u

Jesus was just another jew the romans executed.. only he was on the dumb side as .. well.. he did manage to make himself a target. But.. what does this have to do with the weather?

October 24, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • mrdore2u

I'll make coffee. .. oh.. don't drink the coolaid.. Jesus is late.... he's not coming this week.. so. don't drink the coolaid..

October 24, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • mrdore2u

Update.. Jesus will be later than we first thought.. so.. everyone. .don't drink the coolaid just yet.. we will advise.

October 24, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Tamerica

We live in a Godless Sodomite nation.. God is moving on the waters.. Any one who has read the bible notices the correlation in events.

October 24, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • giftedgirl77

Or better yet maybe we should call in reinforcements such as the toothfairy to bring in sand bags.

As far as your advice as to running for the mountains many of the places to get hit right now don't have many of those.

My advice to you is get your head out of your scary little bible and start educating yourself.

October 24, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Unknown

I don't know that Jesus is comming soon, but I really think the world is slowly comming to an end and we must start repenting.

October 29, 2012 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. kw4life

Dang. Hopefully the people of Jamaica, Haiti, and Cuba can find some protection from this.

October 23, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jim

Hope this storm obliterates St Augustine, fl. Or at least floods the place. Good luck.

October 23, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • fritz

I dunno, I like St Augustine. They got that cool alligator farm with all those cute giant birds. Ostriches I think they call them. I wouldn't want them to get flooded out. Would be a bummer. ;o(

October 24, 2012 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. Professor

Must be a full moon- the loonies are out tonight!

October 23, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • fritz

Yeah, well, some of us get that way around Halloween. Good thing it's only an annual event, eh? I won't be toilet papering houses or doing the flaming poop bag trick though. Just not the fun it used to be. ;op

October 24, 2012 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. Bob

I hope they don't arrest the weather people if they get it wrong like they arrested the scientist in Italy for not predicting the earthquake in 2009!! 6 months in jail 10 million$ fine.....Wow

October 24, 2012 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
    • fritz

Yeah, it's crazy. Can you imagine that righteous weather babe Stephanie Abrams being locked up over a bum weather call? Total insanity!

October 24, 2012 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
    • mrdore2u

From the same people who brought you.... Amanda Knox trial. Remember.. Italy is where a period of human history called, "The Dark Ages" began...

October 24, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • mrdore2u

From the same people who brought you.... Amanda Knox trial.

October 24, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. Nana

Are the people expressing their opinions locked up somewhere? If not I'm loading the gun now.

October 24, 2012 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
    • fritz

Ah ain't locked up, baby. But I iive so far from civilization, I'm no threat to anyone. And no one around to threaten me. Heaven on Earth is where I be. ;oD

October 24, 2012 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. fritz

I'm hoping the Jamaicans and Cubans near the coast can get to high ground fast when the water rises. That storm surge is a killer. My thoughts are with those folks. Stay safe down there.

October 24, 2012 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. SKY

IS GOD SO WEAK HE HAS TO SCARE PEOPLE TO DEATH TO WORSHIP HIM?

October 24, 2012 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Unknown

That's so ignorant!

October 29, 2012 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. naeco

Everyone duck! Zeus will undoubtedly be tossing lightning bolts when this thing rolls through!

October 24, 2012 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Dos Ruedas

Neptune....God of the sea.

October 24, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. blkwdow

Oh man... I hope Halloween in the Northeast isn't ruined by a hurricane! My Grandson is looking forward to trick-or-treating and I'm looking forward to going with him!

Best of luck to those down south I hope you all stay safe until the storm passes...

October 24, 2012 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. waf_98

Any journalist who uses the invective "slam" shows their amateur ranking and serious intellectual deficit. In fact, the use of any invective in a news story calls into question the quality of the journalist's education.

October 24, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. Cindy

My prayers are with all of these areas.

October 24, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Muna Said Musa

Hey! I am hoping that you east coast people are all safe from the horrible storm. I hope you are all warm and snug in your homes, safe and sound.

October 30, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |