Famed boxing trainer Emanuel Steward dies in Chicago
Emanuel Steward trained many champion boxers, including Thomas "Hitman" Hearns and Wladimir Klitschko.
October 25th, 2012

Famed boxing trainer Emanuel Steward dies in Chicago

Famed boxing trainer Emanuel Steward, who was in the corner of champions such as Thomas "Hitman" Hearns, Oscar De La Hoya and Wladimir Klitschko, died Thursday in a Chicago hospital, his executive assistant said.

Steward passed away at 1:46 p.m. CT (2:46 p.m. ET), said Victoria Kirton, who did not provide any further details. He was 68.

A national Golden Gloves champion himself in 1963 at 18, Steward hung up his boxing gloves soon thereafter and took a job at Detroit Edison Company, according to his official bio from HBO, for which he was a commentator.

But he returned to the sport as a Detroit-based trainer in 1971, and he went on to work with some of the biggest names in the business. His pupils - among them more than two dozen champions, by HBO's count - include Sugar Ray Leonard, Julio Cesar Chavez, Leon Spinks, Evander Holyfield and Klitschko, the current WBA, WBO and IBF champion.

"It is not often that a person in any line of work gets a chance to work with a legend," the Ukrainian boxer said on his website. "Well I was privileged enough to work with one for almost a decade.

"I will miss our time together - the long talks about boxing, the world and life itself. Most of all, I will miss our friendship."

He continued working with boxers into his 60s, while also weighing in on big fights for HBO Sports. (HBO is a division of Time Warner, as is CNN.)

Ken Hershman, the president of HBO Sports, lauded Steward as "respected colleague who taught us so much not only about the sweet science but also about friendship and loyalty."

"His energy, enthusiasm and bright smile were a constant presence," Hershman said. " Ten bells do not seem enough to mourn his passing."

Post by:
Filed under: Boxing
  1. Tanzer YARBROUGH

The trainer of motown was gifted in his craft And those he trained showed it in the ring.Nothing but champions and lengends he trained.

October 25, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. VictorM

That's really too bad. I really enjoyed his insight and comments on HBO boxing. He'll be missed.

October 25, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Joe User

Amazing trainer who was an amazing person as well. He not only taught a boxer how to fight physically but also how to fight intelligently and skillfully. He will be sorely missed!

October 25, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Ms Jackie

Mr Steward (is) very loved and respected by many in the boxing community and the city of Detroit. I hope and pray that his great legacy will never lost or forgotten. Watching boxing many Saturday nights won't be the same. Can't believe you're gone. R.I.P.

October 25, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. trey

Thanks Emanuel! Rest in peace ! Much respect!

October 25, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. "SR"

RIP "Manny"
    Always enjoyed your work, your style, and your class.
    A great loss to the boxing community.

October 25, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Victor D

A giant in the game who not only knew the sweet science, but knew how to impart that knowledge to his fighters. It was no coincidence that he was in the corner of so many champions. RIP "Manny"

October 25, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Valkyries

Emanuel Steward was a great trainer, a great mentor and a great person. The sports world has truly lost one of its best people today. Unfortunately, boxing has so few people you can hold-up to the absolute highest standards. Therefore, the passing of Emanuel is more than the boxing scene losing one of its very best trainers. I enjoyed watching boxing matches on V with Emanuel as the analyst because he was so talented at breaking fights down before the fight and describing the fight in progress better than anyone else. He was an ambassador for the sport of boxing. I send my respects to his family, friends, fighters and colleagues for their loss. RIP.

October 25, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jim B

Certainly one of the two or three best trainers of all time. What a resume of fighters! I'll never forget the fight where he told his boxer if he didn't start performing, he was going to go get a drink and watch the fight from a bar. Great commentater, as well. Good voice, great analysis. Will be sorely missed.

October 25, 2012 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Usa2

Saddens my heart to hear this news may you rest in peace Manny. Condolences to The Stewart family. The greatest trainer I have know in my time.

October 25, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. sgotwalks

CNN names these fighters Steward worked with, some for a single fight or two, but neglects to mention the one champion with whom he rose to prominence in a trainer/fighter relationship that lasted years, with Thomas 'The Hitman' Hearns. When I think of one, I think of the other. I'll miss Manny's presence on HBO.

October 26, 2012 at 2:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. belkirk

Always will remember him as an expert trainer and commentator at HBO fights. We always see things the same way. I'm shocked and will miss him very much. Condolences to his family and the entire boxing world. Its was a sad day for us. RIP Emmanuel Steward!!!

October 27, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. afnmusic

r.i.p. Manny legendary scout/trainer/leaguer/teacher/ historian/commentator/king of kings/ ring leader/championship winner/ man maker we love you your contributions to the sport will never go unmentioned. r.i.p.r.i.p.

October 28, 2012 at 12:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. wow...

This was a shock... Life is flying by WAY TOO FAST!! I loved watching HBO PPV with Emanuel, Jim L, and Larry commentate some of the best entertainment in boxing that I can remember... RIP my friend. I will be watching some old PPV boxing fights from my library tonight and thinking of you my friend.. Peace...

November 23, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply