LSU's 'Honey Badger' Mathieu arrested on drug charge
Tyrann "Honey Badger" Mathieu was a Heisman finalist in the 2011 college football season.
October 25th, 2012

LSU's 'Honey Badger' Mathieu arrested on drug charge

Tyrann "Honey Badger" Mathieu - a Heisman Trophy finalist last year at Louisiana State University, only to be suspended from the football team months later - was arrested Thursday on a drug charge, Baton Rouge police said.

Police initially responded to an apartment complex in the Louisiana city after getting a complaint about a person trying to force his way in through a security gate, the Baton Rouge Police Department announced in a news release.

Officers eventually tracked the man to one apartment unit and knocked, with Mathieu opening the door and consenting to a request to search the apartment, police said.

Police found three other men - one of them allegedly the man who  tried to force his way past the gate– as well as a marijuana grinder, digital scale and 10 bags of "high-grade marijuana."

Along with another young man, Mathieu was charged with simple possession of marijuana. The two others face charges of 2nd offense simple possession of marijuana and possession with intent to distribute the drug, according to police.

"All four men are being booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish prison," police said.

As a Heisman finalist, Mathieu was considered one of college football's five best players last year. But he was dismissed in August from the Tigers by head coach Les Miles, who didn't specify the alleged transgressions but did say, "We have a standard that our players are held to. And when that standard is not met, there are consequences."

Post by:
Filed under: College football • Louisiana • Marijuana
  1. Marc

Wasted talent. Sad he can't get away from the bad crowd and stupid decisions.

October 25, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • free the herbs

I'm a cpa whose about to puff on a little og kush. If I were busted, they'd say I can't be a cpa anymore. Fact remains, I can still count folks, and this guy can still play. I'm not kidding at all when I thank God for producing my nice green bud, but I'll praise Him forever when I can go to the counter and purchase a little of this and a little of that.

October 25, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Well, Free,

Makes you wonder why you need something most people don't to get through life just fine.

October 25, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • free the herbs

Marc, I'd say I have personal issues that MJ helps me to deal with. If I get busted, I'd definitely go to rehab because that's what the "system" would like to see me do. Bottom line though, it's a personal choice of mine and I don't think it should cost me my career if I get busted. If it does, I've decided that I have the education and the determination to find a way to move on and stay true to myself.

October 26, 2012 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. The Dude

Drove through Baton Rouge once...I saw a 5 year old kid drinking a beer from a bottle.

October 25, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. conoclast

So which is worse, pot or steroids? Pot helps athletes relax; steroids turn them into time bombs. Jails are full of pot smokers but nary a steroid doper: nice fair world, ain't it?

October 25, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cletus Turbrow

The University Of Alabama just claimed another National Championship because of this arrest.. Thanks Honey Badger, you big ole goodun.

October 25, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. a slozomby

new orleans should be much safer now that these violent criminals are behind bars.

October 25, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Portland tony

Give me a break "high grade marijuana"..is probably better for anyone in athletics than the usual drug of choice like alcohol, steroids, or HGH etc...

October 25, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • free the herbs

High Grade Marijuana is good for anyone whose had a beer before. You may, like me, determine that herbs are superior to alcohol for your overall enjoyment. Side effects include undeniable swagger, but you'll have to fill up on healthy spinach/banana shakes to stave off the munchies while adhering to your diet.

October 25, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Blackflag

What they have done to this kid is an outright disgusting shame. The hypocrisy of this country sickens me to no end. This kid is an unbelievable talent, and just for doing something that 75% of the country has done at one time or another they are trying to ruin his career. Tyrann, I hope you persevere through all this and find your way to success in the NFL and happiness in life regardless of all this ridiculous BS. Stay strong and be who you are.

October 25, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. rufoscoe

Moron

October 25, 2012 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. SanRafaelGuy

All this for weed? Get of of Louisiana, Tyrann. Life is better in California and many other places.

October 25, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. lou

Very dumb.
    Laws against marijuana are about as sane as abolition.
    Prohibition created the mob and prohibition has created the cartel.
    You can't stop people from jumping off bridges and you are never going to stop people from smoking pot.
    Legalization will free up many a jail cell and police, make us money and save us money.
    Legalize already.

October 25, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • nitpick

sorry to nitpick but you may want to edit your comment...abolition was the movement to end slavery which, I think we'll all agree, was a pretty sane idea.

October 26, 2012 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  11. SanRafaelGuy

By the way – you can't get high grade marijuana in Louisiana. No way. No how.

October 25, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • BlueMoonMilk

Why not. There's plenty of it here in FLA!!!!!!!

October 26, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  12. drivennail

The first thing to consider before making something a crime is to identify if there is a victim.

October 26, 2012 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack

The main victims here are the taxpayers that get to pay for enforcement and incarceration for the government's overreaction to something that shouldn't be a crime.

October 26, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. ergreen

I think they went to jail not prison. I love stupid reporters

October 26, 2012 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ogre Magi

Dang, I thought this was going to be about a real Honey Badger

October 26, 2012 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  15. Kris Wood

"High Grade" marijuana? So they puffed a sample?

October 26, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |