Fresh charges filed against ex-Penn State officials in Sandusky case
Former Penn State President Graham Spanier faces charges in the Jerry Sandusky scandal.
November 1st, 2012

Fresh charges filed against ex-Penn State officials in Sandusky case

[Updated at 1:01 p.m. ET] New charges have been filed against three former Penn State officials in the Jerry Sandusky child rape scandal, accused of having "used their positions to conceal and cover up for years the activities of a known child predator," Pennsylvania's attorney general said Thursday.

Former Penn State University President Graham Spanier charged for the first time in the case and former Athletic Director Tim Curley and ex-Vice President Gary Schultz now face the same five charges: obstruction of justice, perjury, conspiracy, endangering the welfare of children and failure to report allegations of child abuse.

"(The three defendants) worked to actively conceal the truth with total disregard to the children who were victims in this case,” Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda L. Kelly told reporters Thursday.

The scandal, which erupted nearly a year ago, led to the firing of Spanier and longtime head football coach Joe Paterno, who died in January. Curley and Schultz had been charged with some of the counts perjury and failure to report allegations of abuse previously; both pleaded not guilty at the time.

Sandusky, the 68-year-old former Penn State assistant football coach, was convicted in June of sexually abusing 10 boys and was sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison in October.

Jurors determined that Sandusky, who retired from Penn State in 1999, used his access to university facilities and his foundation for underprivileged youths to abuse the boys sexually. During the trial, a 23-year-old man identified as Victim No. 4 testified that he was 13 when Sandusky sexually abused him in a university shower.

Less than a month after Sandusky's conviction, former FBI Director Louis Freeh released his university-funded report that said Paterno, Spanier, Curley and Schultz took part in a cover-up to avoid bad publicity.

Attorneys for Spanier blasted the review, calling it a "blundering, indefensible indictment" and "a flat-out distortion of facts" that was "infused with bias and innuendo."

Spanier told The New Yorker magazine's Jeffrey Toobin in August that he had no recollection of e-mails he is accused of exchanging with top university officials over two specific allegations of abuse involving Sandusky: one in 1998 and another in 2001.

"I am aware, as I said in my letter to the board of trustees, that I was apparently copied on two e-mails," Spanier told Toobin. "I didn't reply to them. The first e-mail that I saw didn't mention anybody's name. It simply said something to the effect of 'The employee will be interviewed tomorrow,' something like that, no name mentioned. Then, about five weeks later, I think it was, I was copied on another e-mail that said, 'The interview has been completed, the investigation has been completed, nothing was found, Jerry felt badly that the kid might have felt badly.' "

Spanier, Curley and Schultz are scheduled to be arraigned on the charges Friday, Kelly said.

Asked if Paterno would have faced the same charges if he were alive, Kelly said: "Mr. Paterno is deceased. The defendants charged in this case are Curley, Schultz and Spanier. I'm not going to speculate or comment on Mr. Paterno’s relationship to this investigation. Mr. Paterno is dead, and that’s the end of it."

Sandusky is seeking a new trial. For more on Thursday's developments, click here.

Post by: ,
Filed under: College football • Courts • Crime • Football • Jerry Sandusky • Penn State
  1. nadinesh

puzzled. What's unfair? These things happened and people knew about it and nothing was done. No trial is necessary to determine that. Do you expect the press to assume that Penn State always acted in good faith? That would be simply incompetent. We don't know for sure that Spanier or the board are guilty, but indubitably there was a coverup and someone or ones are responsible.

November 1, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. yo!

The stain in Happy Valley ... literally.

November 1, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. mike

It's about time

November 1, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Zaperdon

I think enough is enough – how many people are we going to punish for the sins of one man? The only reason this is happening is because of the press this story has gotten.

November 1, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Blitz

This sin is owned by Spanier for covering the abuse up, and he should not get a pass

November 1, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • northernCA

you don't get it. they covered it up to save the reputation of their football program. child abuse cases should be immediately reported to child protection services not bantered around university emails.

November 1, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Signed Spanier's Mom

November 1, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian Hartman

Enough is only enough when *every single person* involved in covering up these crimes has been tried and brought to justice.

November 1, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gort1

EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM.....leave no stone unturned....every man that knew about it, needs to go to jail.

November 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Red

Every single one of these people is RESPONSIBLE for what happened because they COVERED IT UP and allowed other innocent children to suffer. Explain how that is, in ANY WAY acceptable.

November 1, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • sharon turner

tell that to your children

November 2, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • sharon turner

tell that to your children. Every time I look at this guy and think of the cover-up, I think of my child. I would have been persecuted and perhaps jailed, but I would have been heard.

November 2, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ezo

It's quite obvious that this was not the sin of a single individual. It takes a concerted effort to cover-up something like this. I know you're frustrated that so many are being meted out, but perhaps you should consider the horrendous side effects on the victims and the deterrent against potential predators such as yourself!

November 3, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. justmyopinion

I still think without a doubt the assist coach that SAW the abuse and only thought to maybe email a superior and not immediately intercede or call the police is the one that should be facing charges. He SAW the abuse and did nothing. In my book, he did the most wrong here.

November 1, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brian Hartman

Actually, Sandusky did the most wrong. I think we can both agree on that.

The person who saw the abuse happen *did* send it up the chain, but the didn't go to the police. On the other hand, he was the whole reason the case was prosecutable. Without him saying he saw what he did, they might not have had a case at all. So you have to balance that out.

November 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim Berton

The person that could have most easily ended Sandusky's abuse in 1998 was the boy's mother who complained to the police.

After the DA declined to charge Sandusky, that mother had more than enough evidence to complain to Paterno and the Board of Trustees and get Sandusky fired, file a lawsuit or give the story to the newspapers.

Why didn't she?

November 2, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. northernCA

NCAA didn't go far enough, football should have been closed down at Penn State...at least until the trials are finished. From the looks of the game last weekend nothing has changed and the community is quickly moving on. Football is everything there and they have no perspective.

November 1, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • psualum

northernCA:
      I'm curious to hear how you have come to the conclusion that "nothing has changed and the community is quickly moving on. Football is everything there and they have no perspective."
      As a Penn State alumni, I feel I must defend a University that I hold dear to my heart, and a community that I spent 5 wonderful years in. When news broke of the Sandusky scandal, I was crushed. I felt sick to my stomach. I cried. I felt all of the above mostly because of those poor children who were subjected to abuse that no human should ever have to endure.
      As I read the media reports, and people's comments, I became angry. Of course I was angry with Jerry Sandusky – I have no sympathy for child molesters and feel that they should be considered for execution. I was also angry to read that people truly believed that all Penn State cares about is football.
      The truth is that Penn State has over half a million alumni. Penn State has an incredible number of majors, with people from all over the world attending. Penn State has organizations that do an incredible amount of good every year. Penn State is a place where so many of us have our best memories. And believe it or not, there are alumni of Penn State who couldn't give a damn about the football team. They didn't know who the players or coaches were. They had no idea who Penn State might be playing on any given Saturday. They didn't care if we had a bowl berth. They were at Penn State to get a good education in a wonderful environment.
      To say that nothing has changed is an ignorant remark, and I am not a fan of those. You have no idea how many individuals have been impacted by this, most of all the victims. There are many, many alumni and family members of alumni who are very emotional about this entire ordeal.
      If you want to go ahead and make uneducated statements, then be my guest. But, if you actually care to know what kind of impact this has had, then have a few conversations with Penn State alumni.
      Everytime I watch a football game, I am hoping that whatever flawed system allowed this to occur is completely dismantled, and that Penn State football will be a changed program. That, not winning, is in the forefront of my mind.

November 1, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deb

Thanks PSUalum for replying to northernCA, who has no knowledge of what's happening at Penn State and obviously has no interest in finding out the truth. I live in State College and it just annoys me to no end to hear ridiculous statements from outsiders who think they know everything just by reading what the press decides to report on, not the truth of the situation. The press write articles to increase sales, not report on facts.

November 1, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • JP

I also take offense to this comment. It's ignorant. I'm a very proud alumnus who received a degree that has been instrumental in my corporate success. I also am as close to my college friends, 20 years later, as I am to my immediate family.

I come from a PSU Football family. I received my season ticket as soon as I could walk. PSU Football is about friends, family - it's a hobby that provides a medium to enjoy life with those you love. It's like anything else that allows you to escape the realities of life, which can be difficult at times.

The game last week is a reflection of that.....not a reflection of how we think football is more important than anything else. That comment is so ridiculous that I will not debate it - it's like trying to debate that the earth is round.

Just wondering....have you given any money to RAINN? I did. Did you know that PSU students raised 10 Million Dollars last year for children with cancer? Think about that - TEN MILLION DOLLARS. That certainly speaks to the fact that all we care about is football.

November 1, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • NORTHEASTERN PENNA

I agree that any person that broke the law should be found guilty and go to jail. I think it is extremely unfair to put the fans or the Football players in the same Catagory as those that broke the Law.

Penn State has done great things in the past and will continue to do great things in the future. Penn State has done many things to make life better for many people in this country and World Wide.. They consistently have one of the highest graduating class percentages among athletes of any college in this country. PSU Graduates have contributed greatly to our lives today.

The only thing the NCAA sanctions do is punish the students who now will not get athletic scholarships, the Football Players, that everyone agrees had nothing to do with this scandal, and the fans who support a group of kids who play football.

So please do not Mis- understand 107,000 football fans attending a football game for anything other than what it is, none of the fans agree with any officials who broke the law, not one fan was there to support them, we were all there to support the Players and the Coaching staff , and watch a great Football game between Penn State and Ohio State.

November 1, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • northernCA

students were camped out last week from Monday to Saturday to get seats to the Ohio State game at Penn and you want to tell me everything is different now? Were there no classes last week? Again, nothing has changed! Football is all Penn State cares about. Advocate to close the football program down for a fews years and then I'll believe you.

November 1, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • northernCA

is really isn't funny that all of you get soooo upset when your football team is mentioned. again, nothing has changed.

November 1, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill In The SoCal Desert

To all Penn State people: Don't worry. Rational people do not for one moment believe that the tens of thousands of students, faculty and employees and hundreds of thousands of alumni are anything less than honorable members of society and part of a great university. You will have to live with such nonsense as posted here by extremists. Ignore them.

November 1, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

$10 million raised for childhood cancer -- about $1.00 per alumnus??? about 10% of the money spent on football

November 1, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian Hartman

I, for one, don't blame the fans of the football program. Other programs have zealous football fans. It's not their fault. The fault lies with the administration (Paterno, the board, the other coaches, etc.). And yes, if other players knew, the fault belongs with them, too.

But I think it's oversimplifying things to say that the sanctions punish the players. The NCAA went out of its way to ensure that any player who wanted to could transfer out of Penn State and start playing immediately. There's no penalty for them unless they stay loyal to the Penn State football program. And why would they? You'd have to be certifiably insane to stay playing for that team, after what it represents now.

Not only is Penn State lucky that their football program wasn't closed down; they're lucky the *school* wasn't closed down. That would be a not-unreasonable outcome, when the entire organization is that corrupted. (Remember, the cover-up went all the way up to the *president* of the university.) I would feel sorry for the faculty that would have to find new jobs, and the students who would have to transfer to different schools, but because of the systemic corruption, the whole school, as an organization of higher learning, deserved the "death penalty".

November 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt K

@ Deb specifically, and the rest of the goon squad defending Penn State:

You're literally so brainwashed and oblivious it's embarassing to share oxygen with you.

November 1, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • psualum

northernCA:
      I thought I could have an intelligent debate with someone who seems to know so much, but alas...
      Students camped out from Monday to Saturday: as someone who attended Penn State, I can assure you that it would be a tiny percentage of the 50,000 students who go there. The students camp out in groups, and I would assume go to class while others who do not have classes scheduled at that time hold down the camp. It's a simple process if you actually think it through, but the key word in that sentence is 'think', northernCA. I learned the hard way that when I did not attend class regularly during my 1st semester (and it wasn't because of a football game) I did very poorly.
      As a counselor who cares to the UTMOST EXTREME about our world's youth, I am disheartened by your lack of ability to understand that there are many layers to Penn State, that there is a great level of sadness within the Penn State and State College communities, and that Penn State is forever changed. I hope that you never pursue a career in which you have to think beyond what's in front of you.

November 1, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • psualum

To Brian Hartman:

So, if I may make a parallel to your argument: if one were to find that there was corruption in the United States government, all the way up to the President, does that mean that the United States should be given the 'death penalty?' Just a question...

November 1, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. PK

Lying sack of excrement, he is......

November 1, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. lowellreed

Hey Zaperdon – Sandusky may be one man, but many men committed sins here – as well as broke laws and simple MAN code about protecting children. Enough will be enough when all of the people involved in this cover up get thoroughly investigated and brought to Justice, if need be. And remember people, these guys all placed Football and School above the protection of defensless children. It would be a crime against all those victims to let the other guys go as they actually provided Sandusky with the ability to carry on his evil. Aiding a criminal of the worst kind. Sure, you are sick of it all and we all are. Sometimes the wheels of Justice turn slowly but hopefully anyone who helped this monster of a many will be punished for it.

November 1, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. 1amazed1

If the charges are substantiated then the book needs to be thrown at them.

November 1, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Outsider.92

Am I the only one who finds myself rooting against Penn St in football this year?

November 1, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Deb

Well, that's an intelligent approach since obviously every football player currently on the team had to have known exactly what Sandusky kept so well hidden. Let's root against 19 – 24 year olds trying to obtain an educaiton while playing a sport they love for actions that took place when they were still in elementary school! (Insert sarcastic font)

November 1, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert

I've ALWAYS rooted against Penn State, so nothing's changed.

November 1, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • slik52

The kids busting their butts on the field this year had nothing to do with this. Rooting for them to fail is pointless. Using your logic, if the crimes had been committed in the back of a Chevy,we should hate everyone who has ever owned a Chevy. Stupid.

November 1, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mamaof7

Too bad no one has the balls to refuse to show Penn State games on national television...

November 1, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jane

Yes probably. The players and new coach are not to blame.

November 1, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. fair

When are they going after the catholic bishops and pope?

November 1, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jim Brody

Who knows? But at least Sandusky's victims are finally getting some justice.

November 1, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • nancy

Amen!

November 1, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Phil Rinaca

I'm so happy to see Spanier go down with his buddy Sandusky. From the beginning, I've maintained he had knowledge of Sandusky's filthy actions. Spanier probably feels some relief because he has probably been sweating out wondering when the axe would fall on him. Good enough for him.

November 1, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • neuregel

Mee too! I also believe the assistant head coach who witnessed Sandusky in the locker room shower with the boy and did nothing to stop it should also be charged. But he probably used immunity for the testimony in the trial.

November 1, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Julie Labrouste

Sadly, there are predators and we strive ever to reduce their numbers and prevent their crimes. This is extremely difficult in itself. And yet, time and time again, there are these people who, through incompetence, apathy, disregard, or personal gain or whatever, not only enable these predators, but extend their predation on the innocent for mindboggling periods of time. I see no way, nor am I inclined to argue that these enablers are worse than the predators, but by God they should be punished just as much. A person who is part of a crime in which one of his partners kills somebody is righteously charged with murder also; so too should it be with these enablers. That which turns a blind-eye deserves not to be counted among caring, warm-blooded human beings.

November 1, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Bill D.

"Hey little boy, would you like some candy?"

November 1, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply