November 3rd, 2012

Atlanta police helicopter crashes on city street

Editor's Note: An Atlanta police department helicopter crashed late Saturday night on a city street just a few miles from downtown, killing both officers on board.  See full story.

Here are the latest developments:

[Update 1:45 a.m.]  The missing 9-year-old has been found and is in the hands of the police, authorities said today.

[Update 1: 30 a.m.] Atlanta Police Chief George Turner briefed reporters and offered the following details:
- Two Atlanta police officers who were in the chopper were killed.

– The helicopter unit was called in to assist with the search for a missing 9-year-old child.

– The chopper was flying low so that the officers were better able to see.

– There were no injuries on the ground.

– The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board are both investigating.

[Update 1:01 a.m.] The crash has knocked out power to 1,300 Georgia Power customers, a spokesman for the electricity company said. "We believe the outage is because of the helicopter crash," said spokesman John Kraft. "I don't know specifics of what happened in that crash. We believe it is a result of the helicopter coming in contact with the lines at some point."

[Update 1 a.m.] The FAA says two people were on board the chopper when it crashed but the agency deferred questions about their conditions to the Atlanta police department.

[Update 12:26 a.m.]

Television footage from affiliates show a convoy of police cars at the site of the crash

[Updated 11:57 p.m.] Police spokesman Carlos Campos just sent out this e-mail, asking that media not report "unconfirmed" information about casualties:

One of our helicopters has crashed near MLK Jr and Hamilton E. Holmes around 10:30 p.m. Public Affairs personnel are on scene and gathering information. We ask you to respectfully refrain from releasing unconfirmed information. We understand you are needing information. You will get it. Just give us time to gather facts. We will announce a briefing location soon.

[Posted at 11:52 p.m.] A helicopter for the  Atlanta Police Department crashed tonight in northwest Atlanta.  Authorities are at  the scene.  More details soon.

1. Robert

Stunning work, APD.

November 4, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. Frodo

Two people are dead. Did it make you feel better to type your idiotic comment?

November 4, 2012 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. derrick ngenzi muthoka

my condolosence to the bereaved,may God rest their souls in eternal peace,now if we r having clashes at super power,wat about deveopilng nations?

November 4, 2012 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. Scott

I've worked closely with this crew since '07 and have always been impressed with their professionalism and commitment to safe operations. God rest their souls, it's a sad day indeed.

November 4, 2012 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  5. OnceThereWasNewsandNowThereisOnlyFacebook :)

"Husband left us for a 22-year-old...House For Sale by scorned, slightly bitter, newly single owner," the sign read. Readers were directed to a website with the home listing, along with a few more details of her ex's transgressions.

"I put the sign up at 1 o'clock on Friday on Facebook and I had the local news in my yard by 5," she told Business Insider Tuesday. "And I'm not really sure how we wound up here or how we wound up doing interviews. I don't think I'm what people expect."

November 4, 2012 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Jayne

I'd find that 22 year old for you and make her rue the day.

November 4, 2012 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Name s kel

What the HELL are you blabering about??? Two police officers were killed conducting a search for a missing child and you put this crap on here??? Damn...cnn lets anything thru. My heart goes out to the TWO officers that died love ones. And robert ,shut up fool.

November 4, 2012 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Aw...somebody cutting and pasting from The National Enquirer.

My condolences to the families of the officers.

I am glad the missing child was found.

November 4, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. ronvan

NOT SURPRISED:: When you read ANY of these posts you will ALWAYS find idiots!! It is one thing for us to voice our opinions, and then argue over them, but to make comments that are either non-relevant to the subject, or to seemingly "praise, be happy" over these officers deaths, (Robert?) is just stupid!! Sadly, you can see the same things on comments about Sandy!!

November 4, 2012 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Who is this Sandy everyone keeps talking about? I've been out of town on a business trip. Now all I hear is about some gal named Sandy. Is she someone in the Obama administration?

November 4, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

GM @ s kel & ronvan, it bothers me to see the how someone can take a tragic event and make such lack of respect posts on here. Grow up people!

November 4, 2012 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

@ Erica, that *out of town trip* you took, was it on an alien spaceship or were you on one of those trips you take where you never leave the farm? lol

November 4, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

oops meant @ eric not erica. sorry.

November 4, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  10. Eric

I try to never leave the farm but have to go in for supplies sometimes. Mostly things to wash clothes and dishes with. Sometimes for soda pop. I like me a RC Cola now and again. Or a ginger ale.

November 4, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

WHO were you referring too @ banasy? The clown who didnt understand the concept of *i took a trip and never left the farm* i hope.

November 4, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

And before you ask, yes im pretty sure its the man with a million identi ties.

November 4, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dave p

Why is that always good people pay the price,not the evil and greedy.

November 5, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ACG

Well according to the story, at lease the victims were attempting to help a family. The terrorist from above where I live fly over daily just to terrorize people.

November 14, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |