Petraeus letter: I showed extremely poor judgment
Petraeus became CIA director in September 2011.
November 9th, 2012

Petraeus letter: I showed extremely poor judgment

Here is the full text of a letter ex-CIA Director David Petraeus sent to colleagues after he submitted his resignation to President Obama:

HEADQUARTERS

Central Intelligence Agency

9 November 2012

Yesterday afternoon, I went to the White House and asked the President to be allowed, for personal reasons, to resign from my position as D/CIA. After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair. Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours. This afternoon, the President graciously accepted my resignation.

As I depart Langley, I want you to know that it has been the greatest of privileges to have served with you, the officers of our Nation’s Silent Service, a work force that is truly exceptional in every regard. Indeed, you did extraordinary work on a host of critical missions during my time as director, and I am deeply grateful to you for that.

Teddy Roosevelt once observed that life’s greatest gift is the opportunity to work hard at work worth doing. I will always treasure my opportunity to have done that with you and I will always regret the circumstances that brought that work with you to an end.

Thank you for your extraordinary service to our country, and best wishes for continued success in the important endeavors that lie ahead for our country and our Agency.

With admiration and appreciation,

David H. Petraeus

Filed under: CIA
  1. Anne

he resigns because of Benghazi not for cheating on his wife. Let's be real. And this is coming AFTER the election.. how convenient for Mr. President

November 10, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • PDM1

You are so right! Heck we had a president who had an extramarital affair and he did not step down- this is fishy

November 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

How, typical of GOP conspiracy theorists. You lost the election because you live in an alternate reality where your base is bigger than all the center-right, center and left people that voted for Obama. Your GOP will be relegated to obscurity as long as you believe, like Karl Rove, in your own propaganda. The GOP has to stop listening to their Propaganda Ministry, Fox News, and think out of the bubble by reading and believing other news sources that are more neutral.

November 10, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • thor

The resignation of Petraeus has nothing to do with the election of the President. It really just shows how small minded you are Anne.

Petraeus had a Biographer who was obviously writing his biography but she was trying to get into his e mails. The FBI are now investigating the Biographer due to the fact that a person in the CIA got in touch with them about her.

I am guessing that you are a very unhappy Republican who will jump to any conclusion ,

November 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Robyn

If that is his wife I see why he cheated she I'd kinda frumpy with a man like that u need to be fit and at least a 8to keep his attention

November 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Salf

Wow, that's rude and uncalled for.

November 10, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Robyn

With a wife like that if it is his wife I would cheat too

November 10, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kunst

You don't know what marriage is about. Shame on you.

November 10, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • guest

Theres no excuse for someone to break their marriage vows!!! STOP BEING RUDE!!!

November 10, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. henry

Or was it so he wouldn,t testify , I don't trust this president this happens too much , The president pulled the strings on this , Petraus should be subpeoned to testify , as well as president . should be face to face at hearing

November 10, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. HuPhartNgau

Don't ask; don't tell...?

November 10, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Seriously

It probably wouldn't behoove a media outlet to "shut off" freedom of speech.

November 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. lalo

Petreaus needs a new better fitting suit.

November 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Shoog

Glad to know Paula Broadwell was worth working hard and working well! Men are so weak. Always have been. Always will be.

November 10, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. li u san

Was it the first time he cheated on his wife? Married for more than 37 years to the same woman? I don't think so given the men´s and human nature in general. David Petraeus just doesn´t want the job. Quitting it ,, on good terms´`. He found out a nice reason. It also sounds well for his family life which is, once again, in danger. And his wife is being helped, once again, to take the right decision and NO GO about the divorse, separation, and so on and on and on: stuff we all know.

November 10, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Rick

So Petraeus is now eligible to run for President.

November 10, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. nicholas

I do not find this letter sincere. Actually, this journalist with whom he had an affair is much younger, very smart, successful and good-looking. A very attractive woman. Every man in the room wants her. So to say that he showed "extremely poor judgment" is not accurate..

November 10, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. oldman100

Why is everyone protecting a black man who can't do his job? White man's pride anyone?

November 10, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJA

Not your kind of pride, loser.

November 10, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • tonyl

You are definitely a 100 year old fart. It's time go go six feet under.

November 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Critical Thinker

Shut up, you racist traitor!

November 10, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ForGoodOfAll

I think this is a terrible shame to lose Cia Director Petreaus, but I thank him for his public service to our great country, as well as for his honesty regarding his personal faults. I hope his family finds peace and healing.

November 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Critical Thinker

CIA employees collectively hated Betray-us. They loved Leon Panetta. Good riddins' as far as CIA professionals are concerned.

November 10, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MJA

Obama is finally getting the hang of this president thing.

November 10, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Critical Thinker

For whom the bell tolls, it tolls for Betray-us's presidential election ambitions in 2016 and beyond. Betray-us used the election results and media coverage to deaden the impact of his resignation announcement. Nice try, Betray-us, you are dead meat just like John Edwards.

November 10, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |