Petraeus letter: I showed extremely poor judgment
Petraeus became CIA director in September 2011.
November 9th, 2012

Petraeus letter: I showed extremely poor judgment

Here is the full text of a letter ex-CIA Director David Petraeus sent to colleagues after he submitted his resignation to President Obama:

HEADQUARTERS

Central Intelligence Agency

9 November 2012

Yesterday afternoon, I went to the White House and asked the President to be allowed, for personal reasons, to resign from my position as D/CIA. After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair. Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours. This afternoon, the President graciously accepted my resignation.

As I depart Langley, I want you to know that it has been the greatest of privileges to have served with you, the officers of our Nation’s Silent Service, a work force that is truly exceptional in every regard. Indeed, you did extraordinary work on a host of critical missions during my time as director, and I am deeply grateful to you for that.

Teddy Roosevelt once observed that life’s greatest gift is the opportunity to work hard at work worth doing. I will always treasure my opportunity to have done that with you and I will always regret the circumstances that brought that work with you to an end.

Thank you for your extraordinary service to our country, and best wishes for continued success in the important endeavors that lie ahead for our country and our Agency.

With admiration and appreciation,

David H. Petraeus

Filed under: CIA
  1. milan milenkovic

This is very bad news. I believed that General will be excellent Director of CIA ( after his outstanding job in Iraq and Afghanistan)…General, I wish you excellent health and good luck.

November 9, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. pete

He Was told to step down and they are using an affair as the cause. Obama doesn't need him any more he has his own agenda.

November 9, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. cheech

you don't have to quit because you made a mistake. but the fundies would say you do. hopefully they will die off to be replaced by rational humans.

November 9, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Pat

how about he doesn't, he's part of the great Obama cover up. open your eyes, fools.

November 9, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Really...

Oh here we go...Pat, sometimes a cigar is just....oh never mind. You're right it's some grand conspiracy I'm sure.

November 9, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Casey

Get counseling or pills.

November 9, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mentallect

He served his country, and then made a big mistake. I respect his decision to resign. I hope he and his wife can reconcile. Divorce is a terrible process, so now he can focus on what is most important...his family.

November 9, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Why resign?

What does this failing in his personal life have to do with his professional competence? Nothing. It's absurd for him to resign over something like this.

November 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dscon

It's only critical when its a conservative............ ;)

November 9, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • DogHaus

Security clearance....

November 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Voyager 1

I have to admire the General for taking responsibility for his own actions. Wish more folks in Washington, DC would do this as well.

November 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. dscon

WOW..........i wonder how long this "dirt" on this typical pos pol was "held" over his head........... ;)

November 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. mojobutta

Poor judgement??? Ha ha ha. LMAO. Little head driving the big head. Lame excuse for an alleged...honorable man. Another loser that can't help himself. Pitiful.

November 9, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Pete/Ark

Bosses come,and Bosses go ... you spread newspapers under the new ones and try to get them housebroken... sometimes you succeed and sometimes you don't.

November 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. jorge washinsen

This can not happen to a military commander but the Commander in Chief can do it in the Oval office and get by with it.He could run now for President again and would be elected by a landslide.One sided news reporting just keeps right on going.

November 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Steve

It will be interesting to see whether this plays out as part of the Benghazi-gate coverup and delay. Having an affair certainly does not disqualify him from continuing to hold the office. Oh, there is that little timing aspect that he does this a few days before he is scheduled to testify before Congress about Benghazi.

November 9, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. FRI

aahh...is that his wife in the picture with him holding the bible! Glad I don't have to resign my job if I ever marry then have an affair!

November 9, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. jorge washinsen

Thanks to the Tea Party the Republican party is dead.They ment well but a Republican has to keep his mouth shut .We are now a dictatorship full fledged.The only thing we did not see was black helicopters.

November 9, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • rick1948

You've been drinking too much moonshine. Sure hope you don't own a gun.

November 9, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lee-Anne

Put the tin hat back on.

November 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jeff

I don't care if he did a goat, as long as he does his job.

November 9, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • AngieS

But he can't do his job if he can be black mailed over secrets like extra marital affairs...

November 9, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |