Is it the end for Twinkies?
November 16th, 2012

Is it the end for Twinkies?

Twinkies may be going away, with their maker Hostess Foods announcing today that it's asking permission to shut down.

The legendary snack food favorite of many a childhood has spawned a Twinkie defense, a Twinkie diet and, as you'd expect, a trending topic on Twitter this morning.

People are saying the Mayans were right and clearly the world will end in 2012, others are blaming the unions or calling on the White House for a bailout, and there are plenty of wits commenting on the shelf life.

If you dare, search for the #twinkies hashtag on Twitter. I'm counting calories, so I shall just watch this Jeanne Moos ode to the icon from January:

Post by:
Filed under: Food
  1. dazzle ©

Happy Friday! I was never a fan of Twinkies as a kid but I used to love Wonder Bread. I used to bargain with my mother that if I ate all of my veggies, I could have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch the next day. It worked every time. I would cut off the crusts and feed them to the birds and have my crust free sandwich.

November 16, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Benn

That is really nice Good Dazzle. A happy memory. Thanks for sharing it with us. : )

November 16, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

Wow CNN, what is up with this ? First you don't post me and then you make look like I'm on a loop.

Well anyway dazzle, I guess in one of those posts you'll see I answered you. Sheeeesh

November 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

A man was accosted by a particularly shabby, smelly man who asked him for money for dinner. Winkley took out his wallet, extracted a fiver, and asked,
    "If I give you this money, will you take it and buy whisky?"
    "No, I stopped drinking years ago," the beggar said.
    "Will you use it to gamble?" he asked.
    "I don't gamble," said the man.
    "Will you spend the money on greens fees at a golf course?" he asked.
    "Are you MAD?" said the beggar, "I haven't played golf in 20 years!"

At which our viewer exclaimed,
    "Forget the money. I'm going to take you to my home for a terrific dinner cooked by my wife."

The beggar was astounded.
    "Won't your wife be bothered? I know I'm dirty and I probably smell pretty bad too."
    "That's alright," he replied, "I want her to see what a man looks like when he's given up drink, gambling, and golf."

November 16, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

A group of 40 year old buddies discuss and discuss where they should meet for dinner.

Finally it is agreed upon that they should meet at the White Spot restaurant because the waitress's there have low cut blouses and nice breasts.
    10 years later, at 50 years of age, the group meets again and once again they discuss and discuss where they should meet. Finally it is agreed that they should meet at the White Spot because the food there is very good and the wine selection is good also.
    10 years later at 60 years of age, the group meets again and once again they discuss and discuss where they should meet. Finally it is agreed that they should meet at the White Spot because they can eat there in peace and quiet and the restaurant is smoke free.
    10 years later, at 70 years of age, the group meets again and once again they discuss and discuss where they should meet. Finally it is agreed that they should meet at the White Spot because the restaurant is wheel chair accessible and they even have an elevator.
    10 years later, at 80 years of age, the group meets again and once again they discuss and discuss where they should meet. Finally it is agreed that they should meet at the White Spot restaurant because that would be a great idea because they have never been there before.

November 16, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Lyle W Freund

I doubt that Hostess was paying all that much. I sounds like they were just trying to raid the pension plan.

November 16, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Lonecia

So, Hostess closes the factories, liquidates the assets, at a loss, with a tax deduction. Then, because we like Twinkies, Ho-Ho's, and squishy Wonder Bread, another company will open, maybe with tax deductions from the state for bringing jobs to the area, and lucky them, this new company can buy the factories and other assets at a reduced price. And no Union.

November 16, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • napkinbob

yep, that's correct. Perhaps the unions should have smartened up earlier and realized they were negotiating (greeding) themselves out of a job.

November 19, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

And bobcat, i think the mods are drinkin. They either block you or they do as they did to you, post, repost and then post again for good measure. Give it another hour and they will all be deleted. Que sara, sara!

November 16, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Rascal Rabble

Twinkie! Twinkie! little cake,
    how i wunder what it takes,
    to keep the creme filled while it bakes,
    to make an expiration date,
    twinkie! twinkie! little bar,
    how i wonder what you are!

November 16, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Hide Behind

WE lose our twinkies and 10,000 plus become eligible for food stamps, unemployment, job programs, rent,lights child welfare, and inall likelihood gain a chance eventually, to find work at less than they make as of right now.
    That the ownership was losing millions a month and is what court ruled fair reasonto allow bankruptcy to be approved.
    Estimated cost of shutdown and still having to maintain ifrastructure untill sales or just lost assets 75 million.

November 17, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Che Guevera

The Baker's Union would not accept Hostess slave wages. Better that Hostess go out of business than receive endorsement for not negotiating with Baker's Union bargaining group. Good riddance, ding dong. Too bad, so sad, twinkie.

November 17, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. BOMBO ©

Well this is sad. No one else is capable of making cake and icing.

November 17, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Bin Yunger

Fear not. China will soon have a replacement on the shelves of your local U-Know-What-Mart.

November 18, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse | Reply