Is it the end for Twinkies?
November 16th, 2012

Is it the end for Twinkies?

Twinkies may be going away, with their maker Hostess Foods announcing today that it's asking permission to shut down.

The legendary snack food favorite of many a childhood has spawned a Twinkie defense, a Twinkie diet and, as you'd expect, a trending topic on Twitter this morning.

People are saying the Mayans were right and clearly the world will end in 2012, others are blaming the unions or calling on the White House for a bailout, and there are plenty of wits commenting on the shelf life.

If you dare, search for the #twinkies hashtag on Twitter. I'm counting calories, so I shall just watch this Jeanne Moos ode to the icon from January:

Post by:
Filed under: Food
  1. Benn

Twinkies are ok but Little Debbie's are similar and much more reasonably priced.

I hope those that lose their jobs can find new ones quick. It's almost holiday time.

November 16, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Scottish Mama

Every wanted to have your own small bakery? Now is the time.

November 16, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Scottish Mama

Should be "ever wanted....

November 16, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Scottish Mama

Walmart needs to strike.

November 16, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Scottish Mama

Any food item that can stay fresh out of the package for an extended amount of time cannot be good for you.

November 16, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Benn

We do too : ) They are pretty good : ) I love the white cream filled ones.

November 16, 2012 at 10:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Benn

Naaaah. Probably not. I'm sure they wouldn't accept an old bald guy like me.

November 16, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Benn

Oh. I'm slow. "We" as in my family.

November 16, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Oh, I don't think there is *anything* slow about you, Benn.
      Not at all.
      Thank you for the answer.

November 16, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Benn

Didn't they stop making twinkies for a while 10 or 20 years ago? We would get them sometimes during the 1970's but then couldn't find them for a while.

November 16, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Scottish Mama

I do not know Benn, but I like the Zebra cakes and debbie nutty bars too. Never was a twinkie fan.

November 16, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. banasy©

I hope they settle this.
    Hostess/Wonder have gone through similar shake-ups in the past.
    Those bankruptcies can be blamed by bad business practices, and not unions, although this time...hey, bakers, sign on the dotted line!

November 16, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. banasy©

I have a friend who works at Hostess, and has for many years.
    They have gone through this before.
    I hope they work it out.

November 16, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

I tried once, but I could not eat a Twinkie.
    Wonder Bread is for emergencies caused by shortages in stores.

November 16, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

But...but...Wonder Bread builds strong bodies 12 ways...

November 16, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

And don't forget about the red yellow and blue ballons.

November 16, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "You Can't Fix Stupid"

bobcat- Suck out the cream and throw the cake away.

November 16, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "You Can't Fix Stupid"

I think your thinking of Danish pasties bobcat. Stuffed with diced meat and potatoes.

November 16, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "You Can't Fix Stupid"

Oh yeah. If the Mayans were wrong? Like the government, who's going to sit back and figure out why they lied to us? Just like it's your last term as president and you don't give ar atsass what you do, the Mayans figured we'll be all dead anyways, who cares if we were wrong in our calculations from taking halluncinigens. :)

November 16, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "You Can't Fix Stupid"

hallucinigens (did i spell it right?)

November 16, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse | Reply