November 28th, 2012

Shooting of unarmed Florida teen is no Trayvon Martin case, attorney says

The attorney for a Florida man who shot at a car of unarmed teens over the weekend, killing one, says the incident bares no resemblance to the infamous Trayvon Martin case.

Her client, Michael Dunn, is no "vigilante" but did feel threatened and shot out of "self defense," the attorney said.

"There are no comparisons to the Trayvon Martin situation," said Robin Lemonidis, Dunn's attorney. "He is devastated and horrified by the death of the teen."

FULL STORY

Filed under: Crime • U.S.
  1. chrissy

I agree, it doesnt sound similar to the Travon case at all. AND it doesnt sound like self defence either!

November 28, 2012 at 3:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. GlobeOtter

They are right its not like the Travon case, he is clearly going to jail for murder

November 28, 2012 at 3:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. francois2012

OK

November 28, 2012 at 6:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. chrissy

Rascal, where does it say anything about the race of these children? You could be right, im not questioning that, i just did not see that.

November 28, 2012 at 9:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. chrissy

And i agree little mister. Teenagers have been upsetting adults forever with music, just deal with it. We all have done it, i know my parents hated mine. Ya sure as hell dont shoot them over it!

November 28, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. ronvan

WHY??? First of all let me say that I DO support gun control AND the right to carry! BUT, for me, this tragedy sounds more like the "right to carry" is being used as an excuse! It is WAY to easy to shoot someone and then immediately start saying, I FELT threatened, or feared for my life! Now a young man is dead, I do not care about the color of his skin, and the shooter is facing a jail sentence! Just based on what I have read about this incident, I would conclude that the shooter is guilty of murder! Loud music is NOT a reason or excuse for shooting someone! "I THINK" that I saw a gun is NOT a reason! NO ONE got out of the car, BUT, 8 rounds fired, sounds more like a person out of control!

November 28, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Shasha

I highly agree. If the music bothered you, you should have taken care of your business and moved along.

December 3, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Portland tony

Another fool who felt "empowered" to force his opinion on others 'cause he was "packing". Whether music is loud or not depends on the "ear" of the listener! This idiot didn't shoot because the music was too loud, he shot because the teens rightfully told him to bugger off!

November 28, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. David

Mr. dunn is a murderer. He managed to hide his rage till he saw those kids who dissed him. He lashed out and fled the scene of a crime. MURDERER.

November 28, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. chrissy

He FLED the scene too? Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!

November 28, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

LMFAO We wouldn't be sarcastic now, woud we ?
      Good morning chrissy.

November 28, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat)©

All riiiiight ! Finally ! I wondered how much longer they would deprive us of hearing the name Tavon Martin. It's about time we get back to a divisive issue. After all, we haven't got the election now, so we need something to keep that wedge in there. But it really saddens me that you didn't also mention the name Zimmerman. That would have made this story complete.

November 28, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

So solly prease.

That should read Trayvon Martin.

November 28, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hey, bciah!
      I know, right?
      Nothing like stirring up the old pot with those two names.

November 28, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tesla

You know, this isn't like the Trayvon case. I remember being called out as a racist in the Trayvon case because I believe Zimmerman shot in self defense, and that his behavior is not that of someone guilty of murder. I believe the phrases being used were along the lines of, "It wouldn't matter to you, as long as a black person died."

And now, here we are. A moron opens fire on a group of kids (who may have been being disrespectful and/or loud, but that's neither here nor there), killing one, and I don't see anyone but the trolls saying the guy is innocent.

Of course, now people are talking about gun control, and it all starts again. Blegh.

November 28, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rick

The problem with gun ownership is the folks who like guns....tend to be the ones you never wanted to own guns in the first place.

November 29, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

Well in all honesty 8 shots fired doesnt bring a vision of FEAR! It screams of ANGER! Admit it you were pist off and you let your anger rule you!

November 28, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Anders Behring Breivik (King of the Island)

Greetings from Oslo....8 shots fired and only one 'schwarzer' hit? Once they release him on bail..he should go back to the range immediately or contact me for some insight!

November 29, 2012 at 7:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Rick

Time to give this man 10,000 volts between both ears.

November 29, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply