Tech mogul John McAfee has 'no interest' in returning to U.S.
John McAfee's lawyer said the Internet security pioneer went to Guatemala to escape "persecution" from police in Belize.
December 5th, 2012

Tech mogul John McAfee has 'no interest' in returning to U.S.

The story of American tech mogul John McAfee reads like a bestselling mystery: murder, poisoned dogs, young women and international intrigue fueled by weeks on the run.

But in the latest chapter of the saga, the millionaire says his month of evading Belize authorities is over.

And he plans to settle down in Guatemala, at least for now.

"I have a passport. I am in no trouble with the U.S. I can return any time I like," he told CNN en Español in Guatemala City on Tuesday evening. "I have been back to America many times since I have been in Belize. I have no interest of going this month or next but ... I can come and go freely to America any time I want."

McAfee has been on the run since Belize authorities said he is wanted for questioning in the death of an American businessman who was his neighbor in the nation's island of Ambergris Caye.

FULL STORY

Filed under: World
  1. Benn

Most say Kaspersky AV ia a million times better than Mcafee AV. Ask any techie.

December 5, 2012 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

I recall as a 9 yr. old child running away from home knowing my dad wanted to question me about something. Of course I was free to return home, just like McAfee, but chose to live in a cave on Rattlesnake Hill. Not quite Guatamala, but close.
    McAfee is behaving like a child.
    After three days, reality set-in and I returned home.

December 5, 2012 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Benn

Goodmorning Philip. We haven't seen you posting in a while. I'm glad you are back. We hope you and everyone has a great day.

December 5, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

Benn? There was no 'Benn' before. Who are you? Where ya from?
    ...and I didn't return home so that I could be questioned. (Like McAfee would be if he returned to the US)
    I was a newspaper boy, and returned home each day to retrieve my bundles of Gazette Telegraph newspapers. My plan was to deliver papers till the end of the month, and then abscond with all monies collected. (back then, paper boys collected payments from each subscriber, and were allowed to keep a small percentage as wages)
    By the third day, my dad and grandpa had figured-out what I was doing and so ambushed me. Even a small child understands dysfunctional families should split-up, and demonstrates this knowledge by running away from home.

December 5, 2012 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

According to the FBI, some 1,500 American children run-away from home each and every single day in America.
    What do children run-away from? Abuse, if they have the strength left. 1,500 per day is a lot of kids. How many thousands so abused they simply don't have the strngth to run away? No-doubt, many.
    And I'll never really understand why one runaway like Mcafee gets all the headlines when so many thousands of children do the same. Any idea?

December 5, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

Interestingly, it are abusive parents who claim their kids didn't run-away.
    Drunkard dads and doormat housewives claim the kid wasn't running away from the obvious abuses associated with having parents such as these.
    Dysfunctional parents claim the kid wasn't running away from them. They claim the kid ran-away in order to do badness his parents wouldn't allow. (the same badnesses dysfuctional parents are doing)

December 5, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • George

My dad did the same thing to me. He used to be a heavy equipment operator then lost his job. They couldn't afford to take care of me so sold me to a zoo. For years I had to dress up in a chimp costume and pretend to be a monkey. The zoo couldn't get a permit to own a real monkey do they used me in the costume. It was fun for a while but I got tired of having to eat so many bananas. When igot older I ran away and joined the traveling circus. Now I am a rich animal trainer. Life is good.

December 5, 2012 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

Not my chrissy @10:01. (duh)

December 5, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Observer

Did you ever deliver papers in Canada?

December 5, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

And America has no interest in McAfee returning.
    Put your big boy pants on, John, return to answer the questions with the lawyer you purchased, and move on.

December 5, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

Good afternoon @ Philip and @ banasy! I see you no who has been busy again, poser! As for McAfee, he sure makes him self appear very guilty doesnt he? Money cant buy you out of murder!

December 5, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

Howdy @chrissy. Are you sure about money not buying the way out of murder charges?
    What would Al Capone or Margie Shoendinger say? Congressman Larry McDonald was murdered and no one was convicted for it... another example of what power money wields over Americans..
    Who here can deny that in many American places, life is hardly worth the bullet shot to rob a man of his 100 dollar sneakers.
    If it is, it can be had for a price in America. (other places too, but we're better than them as you know)

December 5, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

Been trying to say Howdy. (nothing will post, except this probly)

December 5, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

Lmao @ Philip, guess youre right about that and the only things im sure of is, i gotta pay taxes and one day im gonna die!

December 5, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

But....If i die quick enough i wont haveta pay taxes, will i? Lmao

December 5, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |