December 9th, 2012

Campus cops shoot, kill graduate student at California college

Campus police at California State University San Bernardino shot and killed a graduate student following an altercation Saturday night, authorities said.

Police said officers responded to University Village, an off-campus student dormitory, regarding a disturbance involving Bartholomew Williams, 38.

Williams became aggressive and an altercation with officers followed in the hallway of the dorm, the college said in a statement. Officers then fired their weapons because they feared for their lives, police said.

Williams died at the scene.

One officer was taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injury.

Williams was majoring in educational instructional technology, and started at the school in the summer of 2011, police spokesman Sid Robinson said.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • U.S.
  1. Philip

Guns don't kill. Americans do.

December 9, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. Name*william

Two in the chest, seems like over kill.

One in the foot would have worked well.

December 9, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. alex6655321

Christ, people, this article barely gives any details at all. Maybe wait and find out what actually happened before calling for the cops' blood. But I guess you don't need facts when you already know how it's going to fit in with your preconceived narrative. Yes, I am digusted by cops' behavior on a daily basis, but at least try to find out what really happened.

December 9, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sad, but....

People think there's something weird about somebody being a "38-year-old" (gasp!) graduate student, like he was some doddering old relic being helped around the campus by nurses. I was FORTY-FOUR when I got my bachelor's degree–TWENTY YEARS INTO MY CAREER in telecommunications. I didn't NEED the degree, I WANTED it, and I went AFTER it. Get a clue folks–you are NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER too OLD to go to school. The rewards last a lifetime (whether or NOT they help your "career"), and those rewards can never be "lost" or taken away from you.

I retired SIX YEARS LATER, while earning in the 70's (no, a degree was NOT necessary for this). This was thirteen years ago. Now, I'm in my SIXTIES, financially comfy, and guess what? NOW I get a "senior citizen" tuition discount at my alma mater. CAN'T WAIT to continue my (graduate) studies! Maybe math, maybe computer science. No pressure–I can be leisurely about it. Can't TELL you how much fun it is to be the oldest "kid" in a college classroom.

If you "give up" on an education just because you're 25, 30, 35, or 45 years old–it's probably for the better, because you probably don't "get" it when it comes to education, and you've already mentally "missed the boat," so to speak.

Too bad. So sad.

December 9, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. Dan

Lets just say the cop accelerated the situation, as they always do.
    What if Williams won that confrontation, leaving that cop laying there with his butt kicked?
    See the difference in the story? No one died.
    We need more facts here, did Williams have a weapon?
    Or was the cop just a whimp bully with a gun?
    Either way, no one needed to die here...
    Why is it that we hear more and more or these stories of cops unjustly shooting people.
    *end rant*

December 9, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • retread

Or, when you deal with cops you say "yes sir and no sir" instead of resisting and becoming violent. Any idiot knows that. Pretty simple.

December 9, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Ginn

I totally agree with you Dan.

December 9, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Ginn

retread, cops don't deserve that kind of respect. Most are nothing more then street punks dressed up in a cop suit.

December 9, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Duncan

If the cops hadn't been called, Bart Williams would still be alive.

December 9, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • skarphace

Dan, you are making alot of as sumptions here. The bottom line is this guy attacked one of the cops. When you attack a cop you run the risk of getting shot and killed. I don't know what there is to misunderstand about this.

December 9, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • DAVID

Why do campus cops carry guns, I didnt realize there was that much criminality and threatening on our college campuses that required a pistol on patrol. I come from a police family and i dont believe campus cops recieve the training of regular cops like say the NYPD. THIS is the second instance ive heard about recently of a campus cop killing a student, policing is a dangerous profession, when you wear the uniform and badge your first reaction should not be to shoot, if the threat of being overpowered is there, retreat until backup arrives. campuses should be a safe and healthy haven and you should not have to fear the people who are there to help you.

December 9, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • nyer22

David, since you come from a police family (im assuming NYPD since you name them) you should know that NY state troopers patrol SUNY campuses (ie.real police) they are called campus police when they are assigned to a campus. NYS Troopers have BETTER training than the NYPD. I would assume this is the same in California. These are probably State Troopers.

Dan- What if Williams won the confrontation, took the cops gun and shot him, his partner and other students. Would you say the cop should have shot him before he could get his gun? We weren't there, stop making stuff up.

December 9, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • nyer22

Turns out it wasn't campus police anyway, it happend Off-campus and the officers were from San Bernardino City Police Department.

December 9, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Terry

I saw this crap after Vietnam. Too many young people, trained in warfare, come home. We are NOT insurgents! These men and women need a lot more time and attention to undo all the harm that war did to them. We need to teach a new normal – you are safe here. Non-lethal is fine. It is required. Until they heal, we are all in jeopardy.

December 9, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Ginn

BS Terry. This POS is nothing short of a murderer.

December 9, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom

I think you fabricated everything you just posted Terry. I don't believe anything you say. You are a well known CNN Troll.

December 9, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Uncommonviews

What are you talking about? Ok A: where did you read he was a service member? I read and reread the article it does not even mention the military. And B: the guy was 38 that's not a young person sorry but this vet thinks you have no clue what you are talking about oh and I was trained in warfare and I'm not running around fighting with cops so yeah sorry for all the holes I poked

December 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • RAL

I've seen this too many times. Some idiot reads a few sentences and thinks that they know exactly what happened to draw a conclusion. Since you don't know all of the details, why do you shut up.

December 9, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ginn

Cops killing unarmed citizens has become epidemic in America and I, for one, am sick of it. Seems like cops "fear for their lives" in any kind of situation these days. I fear for my life when I walk down a dark street but I don't shoot the people who I bump into. This is nothing more then a case of murder. It's no wonder that law enforcement has lost the respect of the American public. And, this is just one more case showing why.

December 9, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

How about we just wait until we have all of the facts? It's unfortunate that this occurred, but we don't know what happened other than a Police Officer shot and killed someone. We don't know if the student was armed. We don't know if the Officer had a tazer, because unfortunately not every Police Service allows their constables to carry a tazer for various reasons and a big one being because of how the public perceives a tazer. Odds are in a dorm it's close quarters. If we find out this guy had a knife and was relatively close to the Officer then it is an unfortunate end, but justified. If we find out the other guy was unarmed, then there will be some serious issues during the investigation, but let's allow the investigation to take place instead of assuming the guy was unarmed. We have a brief statement from the school and brief statement from Police. Let's hold judgement until everything is out.

December 9, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. FloFNzone

The article does not mention the student having a weapon. It does not mention any arrests. It mentions multiple cops. This guy must have been a certified Ultimate Fighter otherwise any efforts to prevent legal action against his killer will be wrongful. You are arguing with one another.

December 9, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. the prophet

these campus shootings are all attributed to the a falling Government system to educated our kids. Antifederalists are ready to take back America fro a Federal government who's only objective is war and power domination

December 9, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • john

The education system is not federal, it is almost completely run by the states. The federal government only sets some rules and standards, they barely get any say over curriculum, etc. If it was federal, then the standards would be higher and people like you would actually know things.

December 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • RAL

John, thumbs up.

December 9, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. A.D.D. nationwide epidemic

I'm ADD, not stupid. I and the public know that without a very very powerful FORCE (our police force), Americans would raype, rob, kidnap, sodomize, and murder each other into extinction.
    The ONLY thing holding America together is a mighty police force. PERIOD.

December 9, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Whatsthepoint

I'm ADD too but I know how to read statistics and put my entertainment new stories in context. We are not ready to implode with crime. Actually the crime rate has been declining since the 60s. You're on the computer. Look it up

December 9, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Anon

Campus cops are always the worst of the worst.

December 9, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. Wenda Jarvin, MD

There is a lawsuit waiting to happen....
    "Mall Cops" killing someone.

December 9, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  13. LoveGod

By the measure you use it shall be measured unto you and more!!! It seems these days the only training that cops have to diffuse a situation is to take life.

December 9, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  14. Charles Shuck

Who would be crying if the cop was the one killed????????? If you want to fight the cops, they have a right to protect themselves at whatever costs

December 9, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • FOR9DOLLAR

AMEN

December 9, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. Just Me

Why are White people so damn STUPID? Most White kids are always screwing up.

December 9, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |