NHL cancels games through December 30
December 10th, 2012

NHL cancels games through December 30

If you were hoping for some good news on the NHL season, well, you're going to have to keep hoping.

The league announced on Monday that games through December 30 have been cancelled after the players' association and the NHL could not reach a new collective bargaining agreement.

If you're playing along at home this brings the total number of cancelled games to 526.

Post by:
Filed under: NHL
  1. Canadian Observer

I protest. We want our hockey. And more fights.

December 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mallory Simon, CNN News blog editor

What are your thoughts on the chances of any type of season taking place? Not looking good right now. And not sure what an abbreviated season would look like.

December 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • timmaahhyy

The season is officially lost. If they do play a partial season the results would be tainted. The teams that miss the playoffs would object because of the short regular season. The only fair answer would be to cut the playoffs down to 3 rounds and play a longer season. I would not be shocked if many of the European players (who are playing over there) do not return for a partial season.

December 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike in NYC

If you want fights there's always the NFL .... oh wait ... those are gun fights. Never mind.

December 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mike

Cancel the rest of it already. I did. I'll try again in 2013-2014. I'm not interested in half a season.

December 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

I think a last minute solution to the impass will happen, just before the season is cancelled. An abbreviated season is not really a big deal, might actually lead to some interesting playoff races. At least with the season not starting before the 31st the World Junior tournament might got more attention south of the border!

December 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Whome

AHL

December 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

I wonder if anyone has the balls to start their own league and hire some of the players who are willing to take the risk that the NHL won't be around long enough to sue for breach of contract. Since the owners are the ones telling the players they can't work, I wonder what labor laws can be used to allow players to find employment in another league.

December 10, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. profjim

Who cares! The owners and players are a bunch of greedy people. I don't miss it at all. Go Broncos!!!

December 10, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Disgusted

Millionaires arguing with billionaires . . . I don't know how they have any fans left! Greedy men who play hockey for a living. Pfft!

December 10, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bob

Whats the NHL?

December 10, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Canadian Observer

Honestly I think you are correct. I don't think there will be an agreement this season. Maybe if the season is a complete loss both sides will be more open to negotiations. Go Flames.

December 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Canada Dave

It sad that they lead people to believe that there will still be hockey this year. Its a write off. Season is done. NHL is done.

December 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Erici

Some say the fact the NHL only cancelled as little as it did this time leaves hope a deal might still be reached this week. Union reps say a deal was close. League says its pulled elements of a deal they had on the table last week. So again, who knows. If a deal isn't reached before Christmas, the season is done. Which is sad because the lockout years ago was because there was money being lost... now the league is showing signs of life and they are arguing over how much everyone gets. And non-essential employees of teams and the league have been laid off so this doesn't just affect players and owners.

December 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Eric

We want Hockey! The players have made more concessions than the owners, I'm really sick of this. Also, could you use a photo where the Stanley Cup champions are doing the scoring as opposed to being scored on?

December 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dave Wendt

Remember hockey fans that they are fighting over your hard earned money and this is the way they repay your loyalty. I've been a die hard hockey fan since 1972 and this is the last straw. I will not be patronizing any NHL stores or buying any hockey related items for a long, long time. I don't blame the players as much since it was the owners who locked them out especially since the players would of continued under the old CBA till a new one was hashed out. I hope other die hards feel the same way I do.

December 10, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mark Moonahan

Who cares. Hockey scuks

December 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave Wendt

So does your spelling. HAHAHA!!!!!!

December 15, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Canadian Observer

"A total of 526 regular-season games—42.8 percent of the season—were scheduled for October 11 through December 30." These were all cancelled. Yuck

December 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. BigDog's 81's

At this point shouldn't they just cancel the season?

December 10, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |