NHL cancels games through December 30
December 10th, 2012

NHL cancels games through December 30

If you were hoping for some good news on the NHL season, well, you're going to have to keep hoping.

The league announced on Monday that games through December 30 have been cancelled after the players' association and the NHL could not reach a new collective bargaining agreement.

If you're playing along at home this brings the total number of cancelled games to 526.

Post by:
Filed under: NHL
  1. Eric

I'm sorry, yes the Owners have done nothing to make themselves look like they really want a deal, with the exception of Bettman saying that maybe he and Fehr should be outside the negotiating room for some time. But pulling items you offered to get a deal done, saying this offer expires at midnight, things like that are not negotiating, they are ultimatums. I'm proud of the union for staying in the game and not being bullied.

December 10, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. JonfromLI

What is the NHL? What is hockey?

December 10, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Kevin Nivek

Who even watches hockey??

December 10, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • markishere

Millions of people.

December 10, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Todd

you mean "hundreds" of people.

December 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. BOMBO ©

They're done. Maybe they'll start Oct 2013. Maybe.

I'm not necessarily on anyone's side. The millionaires and billionaires are represented by their own powerful lawyers and agents, and can take care of their own interests. Under ordinary conditions they would work it out in due course.

However, Gary Bettman makes me think of that friend who has been married and divorced about 4 times and comes up one day and say's "I don't know why I have no luck. I keep getting married to these DUDS." You just feel like saying MAYBE IT'S YOU. Bettman couldn't get a deal done with Goodenow, and a season was lost for the first time in North American sports history. The PA then fired Goodenow and hired Donald Fehr. Bettman can't seem to deal with Fehr either, and another season will be lost. So whose fault is it?

December 10, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Al Jordan

Has anybody in the NHL noticed that nobody cares?

December 10, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • JRRinAtlanta

Idiotic statement of the day. Millions of Americans and Canadians care. Try getting a clue!

December 10, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • JohnnyCanuck

Being Canadian I have surely noticed there is no Hockey being played as of yet this season. I just wish they would cancel US college football and basketball so your accredited Universities can go back to education your future rather than entertaining your gamblers.

December 10, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bring it on

Apparently you do if you felt the need to post! What better way to pass the winter than watching hockey. I don't crap on other sports. For each their own. I will admit that the league is shooting themselves in the foot. Sport was growing and now greed is setting it back.

December 10, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

I hope the fans stop buying tickets and making the Hockey League richer. I hope the fans stop going to the games, boycott the games. Money is what keep the Hockey league in business. The fans are the power of the hockey leagues, no fans or purchases of ticket the Leagues FAIL Boycott HOCKEY NOW. Let the league owners know how you feel. They are like the Republicans, out to destroy the unions.

December 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Todd

"What better way to pass the winter?" I can think of hundreds of ways that do not include Hockey. How about building a snowman then watching it melt throughout the season.....so much more fun than Hockey!

December 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • RenoGal

Um Sam, I don't know how to break this to you, but you can't boycott games that don't exist. The season has been suspended.

December 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. LouAZ

Who cares ? No one ! The NHL is the only "game" in the world where the whole game stops, STOPS !, while two thugs have a street fight on ice skates. It is actually encouraged by the League ! The bare knuckle cage fights have taken what little audience you had. Haven't seen a good Hockey Game since we beat the Ruskies in the the 1980 Olympics. I wouldn't walk across the street to see the Red Wings play the Maple Leafs if the game was free.

December 10, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Oh well

I highly doubt that NHL Hockey will happen this year (and my husband truly believed this was the year for the New York Rangers!) They are shooting themselves in their own foot - because more of the public is already not watching the NHL, and it likely wasn't helping in '04 and '05 (I think) when they did their other strike. This will further alienate their followers, and make the public even more unaware of what they do. Great job, NHL owners and players.

December 10, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Steve

There will come a day in appx 15 years when I will tell my son "I remember a time when the best hockey players in the world used to play in the US." as my son is watching the St. Petersburg flyers take on the Moscow Flames.

December 10, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Canadian Observer

Go Flames ! Go Calgary !

December 10, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. mark

We might get lucky and never see hockey on tv again

December 10, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • wootings

I'd be with you on that if you substituted "soccer" and/or "golf" and/or "tennis" for "hockey" in that sentence.

December 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. dgmmwm

I offically don't care anymore. I don't care if they ever come back. The league no longer matters to me.Thanks for nothing.

December 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

That is exactly how I feel now too. It's too bad, but it is what is is. I cancelled my season tickets three weeks ago.

December 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • frankgrimes78

Ok John I seriously wish Bettman and the hardline owners could see your and other people's comments(Okay well some of them,LOL) You are a season ticket holder, the kind of fan they covet and thanks to their stupidity they lose a crapton of money and just from one person.

December 10, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike in NYC

I WAS a season ticket holder. I gave my tix up after the '04-'05 season got cancelled and have never looked back. I'm now glad that I didn't listen to my brother last year and re-up for season tix! I can promise you ... my sports dollars will NEVER go to suppor the NHL again. To bad ... so sad ....

December 11, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. LarryB

Nick Lidstrom's retirement has certainly affected the Red Wings. They haven't won a game yet this year.

December 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jrobertjames

Poor

December 10, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • MakesSense

On the other hand, Antii Niemi's been giving up a career best 0.00 goals.

December 10, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Canadian boy

I thought I would miss watching my heroes playing all winter. Now I have realize I'll do just fine without them even when they return to the ice.

December 10, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. tanthonys

No. One. Cares. What is this "hockey" you speak of???

December 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. John

Boy, you know, LA had a great run last year but this year they are undefeated!

December 10, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply