NHL cancels games through December 30
December 10th, 2012

NHL cancels games through December 30

If you were hoping for some good news on the NHL season, well, you're going to have to keep hoping.

The league announced on Monday that games through December 30 have been cancelled after the players' association and the NHL could not reach a new collective bargaining agreement.

If you're playing along at home this brings the total number of cancelled games to 526.

Post by:
Filed under: NHL
  1. Justin

At least the US markets have NFL, NBA, and MLB to fall back on. In Canada NHL is all they have, how would you like to be a restaurant or bar owner ?

December 10, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • finch

That's not true. We also have curling, the 4-14 Toronto Raptors, and..... That's about it actualy.

December 10, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Fish

Professional sports have gone insane. No player should be paid in the millions to play a game. Yes, it's hard work, but so is my job and I sure don't make that kind of money.

December 10, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. FormerFan

Pity all the Canadians sitting around on Saturday nights, in the cold and dark with nothing to do but drink.

December 10, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Logic

Game has become increasingly dangerous. Look at the number of concussions even compared to the NFL. They need bigger changes to the game than the current collective bargaining is addressing (which is mostly about money). They need to cut out the unnecessary hits (i.e. finishing checks) and start kicking players out for fighting (yes you heard me). Players targeting stars can be dealt with by ejections not fights. There is no fighting in the college game and there are no problems since everyone knows the rules. Players targeting the head get ejected.

Good luck NHL, I won't be watching anytime soon, even if you do get an agreement.

December 10, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • fan

Agreed. I tuned out after the boorish 2011 playoffs. I've tuned out of NFL too due to the concussion issue. I'm watching a lot of soccer, which seems to be flourishing at at every age and level.

December 10, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Fire Him

I personally think that as fans we should all come together and agree to not give the NHL one more penny until they relieve Gary Bettman of his tenure. And suddenly the problems would all be worked out. Every time CBA has been up for re-negotiation in his tenure there has been a lockout. Those are results I expect from a US Politician, not a sports advocate.

December 10, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • ummmm

go see a college game, skill level is high depending on where you live (new england is close to watching pro) and the kids love the support and don't make a cent, games are $10 tops

December 10, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chip Douglas

And/or go see an AHL game. There are $10 tix there too. And these are pro's playing in NHL farm teams. See your future NHL stars, TODAY!

December 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • H-man

Well said. When I lived in Denver, my wife and I would regularly go to DU games. Got to watch players like Paul Stastny and Matt Carle, with regular visits by Jonathon Toews (ND) and Joe Pavelski (WI). Great hockey.

December 10, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ummmm

i play hockey in an adult hockey league and coach children so i'm invested in hockey.... i've been having withdrawals without being able to watch the bruins so I started going to boston college home games...play is just as good and they're not making a cent, i may never go back to the nhl

December 10, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. jeffro stills

I am so sick of this hockey crap in Canada, Grown men dont know what to do with their lives because of this stupid strike. I am glad there is a strike so I dont have to get hockey games on tv every night. GEt a life. bunch of babies

December 10, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. snowdogg

meh

December 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. H-man

The local economies care. The local eateries, bars, hot dog vendors, program vendors, concession workers, game night staff, ushers, radio and tv broadcast crews and talent, and the millions of fans across North America AND Europe. If you don't care, why take time out of your day to comment? Trolls will troll.

December 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. mrsparks

Dear NHL,
    As a Minnesotan that grew up playing, watching and loving hockey you might find it hard to believe that I’m saying this, but... good riddance. I knew when Gary Bettman took over that he would destroy the NHL, and it looks like he’s going to succeed.
    Well as someone else pointed out, the college game is exciting to watch and the players play hard because they love the sport. I’ll stick with them.
    Goodbye NHL. I haven’t missed you this year, and I won’t miss you in the future.

December 10, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Marcus

As wonderful as the US is, there are serious problems here. For example, the popularity of basketball, NASCAR, Dave Matthews, and Walmart. I mean, really? People really like basketball and hate hockey? That makes us opposite land.

December 10, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dave Matthews Fan

Popularity of Dave Matthews is not a serious problem. He is a talented man that has had a very successful band for the last 20 years. The real problem is people like you. NASCAR, somewhat a problem. Basketball is the only thing I agree with you on. Popularity of Wal Mart... mediocre.

But if the season is cancelled, which it looks like, we'll be stuck with the dreaded (in your opinion) NASCAR, basketball, Wal Mart and Dave Matthews.

December 10, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. CA

I feel bad for not the players or managers, but the people who work(ed) at the hockey arenas, the pubs and bars that rely on the hockey season revenue, and all the other businesses that have been affected, and are closing down because of the lack of a hockey season.

The players can still play in Europe and live off of their endorsement and last season(s) income.

The normal Joe public lives paycheck to paycheck.

Last NHL strike I saw two of my favourite pubs close down.

December 10, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. gmenfan54

Kiss this hockey season goodbye.

December 10, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Todd in DC

I'm guessing that this will be the last game cancellation.

If there isn't an agreement by the end of the month, the entire season will be cancelled.

And yet the world will continue.

December 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Boston Kid

I agree with the idea of dumping the NHL (since they already dumped you as a fan) and go watch college. It's good hockey and cheaper than any NHL game

December 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply