NHL cancels games through December 30
December 10th, 2012

NHL cancels games through December 30

If you were hoping for some good news on the NHL season, well, you're going to have to keep hoping.

The league announced on Monday that games through December 30 have been cancelled after the players' association and the NHL could not reach a new collective bargaining agreement.

If you're playing along at home this brings the total number of cancelled games to 526.

Post by:
Filed under: NHL
  1. Godwithme

I don't know what to say

December 10, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jeffro stills

Just think of how many teeth have been saved because of this strike

December 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • David R

Think of how it affects the dental industry!

December 10, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. disgustedvet

As a Toronto Maple Leafs fan "sigh " ,i'm probably not missing much anyway.

December 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • numbnut

As a Lightning fan, I fear that a player like Marty St. Louis, who is around 36 years old, has a very small window as far as how many more years he can play. It's a bad situation. If I were the players union, I would tell the owners that the union will not deal with them until Bettman steps down. He is the problem.

December 10, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Venom

Who cares at this point?? After the last lock out the sport was just about recovered and now it happens again!? Screw it, I'm done! I'm gonna blame the owners and the union. Obviously most players want to play which is why they are playing on European teams now.

December 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sidb1980

Agreed, College sports are so much better to watch than the overpaid pros. Personally, I wish we as a country would go back to amateurs in the Olympics rather than pros so we could once again have another 1980 True Dream Team.

December 10, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. lroy

Would the great hockey players like Bobby Orr go on strike? So watch basketball. I like figure skating myself. I guess the pros will just use that time to practice. This is why they should have endorsements to supplement their income (like they really need it). This goes for all professional sports, not just NHL. And correct me if I'm wrong, most have non-sport backgrounds and investments they can fall back on because you can't play hockey forever.

December 10, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich

The players didn't go on strike. The owners locked them out. There's a big difference, even if the end result is no hockey.

December 10, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. notbrl

Dear owners and players – this is so wrong. You cannot afford to alienate your fans being the niche sport that you are.

My son skates in AA Midget – these kids skate with heart and soul each and every time they are on the rink – so while I will miss the Pro's I still have some great hockey to watch.

December 10, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. HockeyFan99

Losing a season like this costs more than money. Some of the greats, like Teemu Selane who had maybe one more good season left, are now left knees-in-the-breeze. Will they retire? Can they stay in shape for a future season? What a loss to the sport and to the fans if we don't get to see another season of the greats on ice.

December 10, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. OBAMACARE iS HERE TO STAY LADIES N GENTLEMEN

Wth just cancel the whole season...lol

December 10, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kat

Put a fork in in NHL – cancel the season, get your act together and bring our hockey back in 2013 -2014 season!! You have had long enough to figure out your differences. For once figure out that this is not about how much anyone makes but it is about the love of the sport. The sport that has been around for ages – lets keep it for the next generation. In the mean time – College Hockey, Pee Wee Hockey etc is just fine with me!

December 10, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bernaba

I do miss hockey as we were season tix holders and I loved the family atmosphere and commrodery between all the fans at our games here in Carolina. But I really feel for the consession and arena workers who are losing out on pay checks because of this. I would love to see the owners around the league made to pay the lost wages for those workers around the league. Don't know how that would be accomplished, but I'm certain some stats whiz in every hockey city could come up with the numbers and I'd love to see a push from all of them to send in those numbers around the league. Perhaps then when that's established in writing it will sink in just how selfish Gary Bettman and the owners are and the penalty they should be made to pay.

December 10, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian P

Watching guys beat each other up on ice is a family event? I didn't realize a pack of wolves had money to spend on sports. Next to golf, hockey is the most stupidest game ever invented.

December 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

The owners are the selfish ones?? Wow have I got a proposal for you.... You go start a businss, (get all the loans, buy the equipment, housing, and pay all the utilities), Then, I will work for you but only if you pay me 52% of all the profit you make after you are the one on the line for all the money owed and it was YOU who took all the risk to start the business, sound like a deal you would sign onto anytime soon? If for some unknown reason you answer yes, please email me and let me knowwhen I can start. Thanks

December 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

BRIAN P.
      "Most stupidest game ever invented"?
      Hmmmmm, nah, too easy. Hard to argue with a mental giant with such a firm grasp of grammar and an extensive vocabulary.

December 10, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • RenoGal

Hey BrianP – "most stupidest game ever invented" – kind of the pot calling the kettle black, isn't it?

December 10, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • American

I want my hockey!!!!

December 10, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Loves Hockey

Rob, you must be a Republican. The 52% is split among ALL the players, and the 48% is split among the owners, so the actual amount each person gets works out enormously to the benefit of the owners – of course, the 100% of profits are AFTER expenses, and as we all know, expenses are always padded!

December 10, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

Hockey like all professiona sports is a little different than your typical business. The people pay to watch the players play...Not to watch the owners own! It comes down to ROI...Return on investment. If owners (investors) can make more money investing in a garbage collection business, they should. Obviously they can't or they would have dumped hockey ownership long ago!

December 10, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Prof8t

So... the NHL was lucky to survive the last lockout. Think it will recover from this one? Think again...

December 10, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jmikulas

Thanks Gary ButtMAN!

You should have included all of this when you negotiated this in last years negotiations. It's not the players fault they don't want to give the owners more money now. Take hockey and stick it where the sun don't shine ButtMAN.

I came back to watch hockey after the last year long lock out hockey season. This time I wont.

Hope your greed eats you alive you little munchkin.

December 10, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Matt

avid NHL fan here. best game I went to ever was last Friday night providence college vs. Boston college. Total cost maybe $50 for 3 people. Go stick it NHL.

December 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe

Matt, check out the BHL (bikini hockey league) – i just saw it on the news. Hot babes in bikinis playing roller hockey with figjting – may be alot better than the nhl????

December 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. SSampson

Who cares – I grew up with Hockey.... I used to like it – after the last strike I'd had enough.... These people are making millions and arguing about a comparatively small amount (considering their income) – BOTH sides are greedy and both sides make too much money for what they offer – I mean this strike isn't about fair wages and safe working conditions – while everyone else (those that buy the tickets) is making a sacrifice now, these (insert bad word) are trying to gouge everyone (and each other) more...

Ticket pricing is insane and watching it on TV is like basically watching a constant commercial – breaks every couple of minutes so they can make MORE....

Free enterprise is fine.... but are we really THIS foolish to pay this much for a bunch of half-grown boys to pass a puck around???

I for one am done – I'll watch local hockey, the Juniors and Women's hockey in the Olympics (Men's hockey in the Olympics is just another venue for these brats).... I'll never spend another dime on the NHL – I watch REAL hockey instead....

December 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |