December 10th, 2012

Obama, Boehner try to talk their way down from fiscal cliff

It's crunch time for avoiding the fiscal cliff as President Barack Obama and House Speaker John Boehner and their aides hold private talks on issues that will impact every American.

Three weeks remain to cut a deal before the automatic tax hikes and spending cuts of the fiscal cliff go into effect on January 1.

Obama and Boehner met face-to-face on Sunday for the first time since November 16. It also was their first one-on-one meeting in more than a year, when talks broke down on a comprehensive agreement to reduce the nation's chronic federal deficits and debt.

In a rare display of bipartisan concurrence, both sides issued identical statements after the meeting that said no details would be forthcoming. Staff on both sides also have been talking, but few details were available.

FULL STORY
Post by: ,
Filed under: Politics
  1. frankgrimes78

Does this remind anyone of the NHL CBA situation from last week?

December 10, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom

Me Too. I agree. This is very interesting.

December 10, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Portland tony

It's time to put these political hacks in a locked room and not let them out until they reach a compromise on revenue, expenditures, and the economic future of America. These folks were elected to legislate, make reasonable decisions and not run the country down a path to financial ruin.It's

December 10, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. the prophet

Am opening a place in Nevada looking for top notch models $ 1000 per day to start Washington secretaries also welcome

December 10, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. saywhat

Agree@ Portland tony.
    In fact its time to get rid of the rusting and past its expiry date mind set that has dominated our political thought process for the past decade and has done more damage to this country of ours than any perceived 'enemy'.
    good afternoon @dazzle.
    Today my posts are somehow escaping the censors.

December 10, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. saywhat

Am being blocked here , eh CNN.
    good afternoon @Portland tony@dazzle@prophet

December 10, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. saywhat

Agree to what you say@Portland tony.

December 10, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. saywhat

You can get better stuff for that kind of money@prophet.

December 10, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. saywhat

Let me add that In fact its time to rid us of the rusting and past its expiry date mind set that has dominated our political thought process for the past decade plus.

December 10, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. the prophet

Please people make sense like me, since the USA is registered corporation, registered in Delaware America should file bankruptcy and pay 10 cents on the dollars on the 16 trillion dollars, its simple math.

December 10, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. the prophet

@saywhat @portland tony...you want to be my partners in Nevada

December 10, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom

I do. Will Banasy and Chrissy be working there? I'm Tom – Patrick's best friend.

December 10, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tom

i agree. Turnips are delicious.

December 10, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Tom

Being a former professional athlete and now a multi millionaire celebrity I feel this is correct. I agree.

December 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Tom

It's good to agree. I like being agreeable.

December 10, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Tom

Me and Patrick used to run a fancy restaurant. We won many awards. That's before I became a pro athlete. Now I date supermodels. N aked ones. They are the best kind.

December 10, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Patrick

Yep. I agree my best friend.

December 10, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Patrick

We won many awards for cooking with delicious turnips. It was a good time.

December 10, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom

I agree. It was a wonderful award winning turnip restaurant. mmmmmmm.

December 10, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |