December 11th, 2012

3 killed in Illinois medical helicopter crash

A medical helicopter crashed Monday night in northern Illinois, killing all three crew members, authorities said.

A pilot and two flight nurses were on board the chopper when it crashed near the city of Rochelle, about 75 miles west of Chicago, the Federal Aviation Administration said. The helicopter was not carrying any patients at the time.

The copter, which was registered to Rockford Health System, was flying from Rockford to a hospital in Mendota.

The cause of the crash is unknown. The FAA will deploy a team early Tuesday to investigate.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. Camille ware

My prayers go out 2 the people family they were live savers the lived 2 help other people they angels will look overthem

December 11, 2012 at 2:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. john einstein

I deeply mourn with the bearived family life is so hard to understand we pray for God mercy de next time

December 11, 2012 at 3:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Margy

Prayers being said, so sad for all the families.

December 11, 2012 at 3:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. i.k

My contribution is just that what happen have happen.i appeal to goverment to reach the help of those affected?

December 11, 2012 at 3:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill D

What??????????

December 11, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
    • SteveT

I.K..– I agree, and I am sure the government will reach out and help those that have been affected. Best wishes.

December 11, 2012 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. Fifi

My prayers go to the family, friends and co-workers of these wonderful life savers. I'm sorry for your loss. May god be with you in your time of sorrow.

December 11, 2012 at 4:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • God

You will never understand.

December 11, 2012 at 5:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. Brad

No anger about the "God" comment. I'm annoyed people like you even respond to these comments to get a rise out of others. Get a life.

December 11, 2012 at 5:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. PR PETER SSEBANTU

I pray for the families of the dead, and the goverment should care much to these people and investgate on the cause.

December 11, 2012 at 5:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. kele

Sorry for the loss of these three individuals that give their lives so others may live.

December 11, 2012 at 7:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. hydroponicjazz

Prayers to the family & friends :¬¡(>

December 11, 2012 at 8:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. s kel

Same type of med chopper crash happened in this area over the potomac river about 3 yrs ago. I worked with flight personal like that. yes its very sad...God look out for them now.

December 11, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. midachs2

This is close to where BadBoxer used to live in Illinois.

December 11, 2012 at 9:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Shaun

My aunt was on that helicopter. RIP Aunt Karen. You will be greatly missed. Prayers to the other two families affected

December 11, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • SteveT

I am so sorry for your loss. I know that Aunt Karen must have been a wonderful person and much beloved. Our prayers go out to your family and the other two families as well. The people who staff these medical helicopters are faithful servants and place themselves in harm's way to save lives. Our hearts go out to you.

December 11, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Nancy

May God grant you and your family healing during this difficult time. Be proud of the contributions Aunt Karen made to help others in their time of need. Prayers are with you, Shaun.

December 11, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Shaun

Thank you Steve and nancy! Really means a lot!

December 11, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Wannetta

Thanks for their service and sorrow to their family and friends for their loss.

December 11, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. ripperAZ

I pray that if I am badly injured in a crash they use a really fast ambulance and avoid the helicopter!
    FORE

December 11, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Brian

Another tragic medical helicopter crash for the area! RIP.. University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics lost Medflight in 2008.

December 11, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse | Reply