December 11th, 2012

Shooter, 2 others dead at Oregon mall

A masked gunman opened fire at an Oregon shopping mall Tuesday. Three people, including the gunman, are dead, authorities said. Gunfire erupted at the Clackamas Town Center mall outside Portland shortly before 4 p.m. PST.

[Update 9:39 p.m.]

The gunman died of what appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound, Clackamas County Sheriff's Sgt. Adam Phillips said. He did not release the identity of either the shooter or the victims. Law enforcement did not fire any shots during the incident, he said.

[Update 8:40 p.m. ET]

Witness Kira Rowland told CNN's Anderson Cooper she was with her infant in the Macy's cosmetics area when the shooting broke out. She estimated she heard about 25 shots fired.

"I can't help but think that if I hadn't stopped to smell that perfume, maybe me and my baby wouldn't be here today," she said, her voice breaking.

[Update 8:35 p.m. ET]

Clackamas County Sheriff's spokesman Lt. James Rhodes said the shooter and two victims were dead and only one person was injured.

He said nearly 100 officers from several agencies were on the scene, searching the mall and controlling the crime scene.

"Where it began specifically in the mall I don't know," he said.

Rhodes asked witnesses to call or come to the sheriff's office to describe what they saw.

Cell phone service was overwhelmed by the volume of calls, he said, and asked people seeking information to be patient.

"I heard something similar to a .22 popping, probably eight times," witness Christina Fisher told CNN affiliate KOIN. She said people dropped to the floor and cooperate with one another to get to safety. She said she was about to leave through the Sears store, but then police blocked the doors.

[Update 8:28 p.m. ET] Witnesses and others near the scene were tweeting about their experiences.

[Update 8:22 p.m. ET]

Witness Holli Bautista told CNN's Anderson Cooper she saw people ducking for cover in the mall's food court. She said she was not able to leave the mall parking lot because police were blocking the exits and that people were still locked inside the mall itself. Bautista said she heard about 10 shots fired and that several triage centers had been set up.

"I'm terrified. It's scary," she said. "... My thoughts and prayers are with anyone who's injured."

[Update 8:19 p.m. ET]

"Multiple victims" have been shot, said Public Safety Director Steve Campbell of the city of Happy Valley.

[Posted 8:11 p.m. ET]

A witness told CNN affiliate KOIN she saw a man running through the mall wearing a hockey goalie mask and carrying an assault rifle.

Clackamas County Sheriff's spokesman Lt. James Rhodes said one person was killed, and possibly more. He said the shooter had been "neutralized," but did not clarify what that means.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Oregon • Portland • U.S.
  1. Marty

Gun laws are pretty much like restraining orders....they aren't worth the paper they are written on. Gun laws vary from state to state. I am for the concealed gun laws, something we do not have in NJ. Maybe things like this (mall shooting) wouldn't have happened if we had armed citizens who are trained in handling weapons. IN NJ ALL guns are banned unless a person has a valid firearms ID card. The cold fact is that firearms were manufactured to kill. The NRA (of which I am a member) teaches us not only gun safety but also to qualify on an NRA firearms course. Firearms are a hobby my wife and I have, but we joined our shooting club to learn self defense. Remember, guns don't kill people. PEOPLE kill people.

December 11, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • anony

There has got to be a more affective approach than just rattling off anecdotes i.e. "Guns dont kill people ..."

The root cause is probably that people are too lazy to put any real effort towards learning about real causes, and possible solutions for these terrible atrocities.

December 11, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

In cases like this, your handgun would probably be as effective as a pea shooter....The perp just walked in with body armor and an assault rifle and cut loose with indiscriminate fire and got off about 60 rounds before being taken down. I'm with you 100% on handguns for self protection at home and in vehicles, but we just can't having every yahoo packing in all public places.

December 12, 2012 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

Let me correct my post. The shooter took his own life ..No police officers fired their weapons!

December 12, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Grace

@Portland Tony, so glad to see you posting! For awhile I was concerned you were the shooter, exacting your revenge on those evil capitalist small business one percent and the consumption-oriented masses who still celebrate Christmas because they don't know religion is a myth! LOL! Hope you get many good baggies of weed for Festivas!

December 12, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reb

This guy stopped shooting and turned the gun on himself when he was confronted by an armed citizen with a concealed carry permit!!

December 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • agentxyz

You and your wife like guns as a hobby. Thanks for that relevant info

January 8, 2013 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. the prophet

It's the government fault for taking away Education, tradetions, and creating a society of compulsive and materialistic non religious slave to the system. War need to brake out, abolish Government from creating capitalism for themselves.

December 11, 2012 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. the prophet

Americas are the most armed people in the world, and Americas are the most policed people in the world. 8 out of ten people own at list 2 rifles so when the day cones that people reach a boiling point watch out Government.

December 11, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeffrey Roem

I disagree. I like to go go to malls and imagine who I'm going to pick off. Mostly I look for the ones who look semitic, being as I'm a self-loathing one myself. Wait, where's my meds? Did I take them today? My fingers getting itchy. Time to go to Macy's. Bye.

December 11, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jeffrey Roem

Poser!

December 11, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TvNyC

This is just another day. No one should have guns. Nevermind everybody, there would be a murder for every argument or road rage or whatever the day brings. There would be a lot of murdered people out there. 122112 get ready.

December 12, 2012 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. ronvan

Another tragedy and more talk about gun control, etc. etc. Pro – Con, Yes, No, I don't know, what to do? For me, this is more of a cultural and systemic problem. The system needs to be completely overhauled to put more pressure on the person buying firearms to prove their intent and need! Buying firearms over the internet should be banned! Culturally speaking we need much more training and understanding about firearms and the consequences of using them. And people, for those of you that THINK you could prevent these kinds of tragedies if you were armed! Shooting on a range at paper targets, that are not shooting back, is far different than the real thing! Even in these comments people do not relay the facts! I have NOT heard anything, yet, that this nut was wearing body armour and fired 60rnds. Rather they are saying he was wearing a hocky mask and fired approx. 20rds. before killing himself!

December 12, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  8. Oreganite

So many Oregonians were driving-off with gas nozzles still attatched after filling up with gas, a law was passed forbidding Oregonians from pumping their own gas.
    To save money (and to make themselves appear to be generous) many gas stations emplyed homeless people to pump gas.
    Reduce Oregon's crime rate! Arm Oregon's gas pumpers w/shotguns and .44 mags!
    "They'll have to pry my guns from my cold, homeless hands."-Orogonian gas pumper

December 12, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Portonian

What do Oregon State students do when their football team wins?
    Turn off their PS3.

December 12, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. saywhat

Terror on the loose yet again. My sympathies and condolences to the families of the victims.
    What else can we say?