December 12th, 2012

Springsteen, Bon Jovi, other stars raise $$$ for Sandy relief

New Jersey's own Bruce Springsteen kicked off Wednesday night's star-studded Madison Square Garden concert that raised money for those enduring misery after Superstorm Sandy.

Springsteen's set included "Land of Hope and Dreams" and "Born to Run."

Proceeds from "12-12-12" benefit the Robin Hood Relief Fund, which is assisting storm victims in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.

Alicia Keys, launching into a customized version of "No One," told a cheering crowd, "This is our city. This is everybody's city. The resilience of this city is incredible."

Early performers include the Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi, Eric Clapton, Roger Waters and Eddie Vedder, joined by comedians Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert and Billy Crystal. The Who's set included "Who Are You" and "Pinball Wizard." Images of storm damage were shown on a large screen.

"This recovery is not going to be quick," Jon Bon Jovi told the crowd during his set. "We need your support."

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie recently said the latest estimates of Sandy-related storm costs in his state were $36.8 billion, while New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo told reporters the total cost in his state was $41 billion.

Concert organizers said the event was accessible to 2 billion people worldwide, through television and Web sites. "We are having high donation volume on the web," they said on the concert's Twitter page late Wednesday.

Post by:
Filed under: Entertainment
  1. Michael Siever

How about a crossover: Born to Run, Wanted Dead or Alive

December 13, 2012 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. lenh

The concert was fantastic. The Who blew away the crowd!! The only thing out of place was Kanye West. I respect him as an artist but his set was out of place with the rest of the show. Great performances!!

December 13, 2012 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
    • JoeyATL

They should have nixed Kanye and had Jay-Z. Much better artist and could have closed the show with Empire State Of Mind.

December 13, 2012 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |
    • s kel

I agree. I absolutly loved the concert, the "Boss " was great , but the " Who" took it away.

December 13, 2012 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
    • perihelium

I'll third that. Some good stuff out there from a number of hip-hop artists, but can't claim to be a fan by any means. Good on him for stepping up to the plate for the relief effort... maybe next time he should just donate on the website. I think we'd all be just as grateful. It was a.w.k.w.a.r.d.

December 13, 2012 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
    • maine liberal

The sound seemed out of balance, hope fully it will be cleaned up for the DVD
      Best performances

"pink floyd"
      clapton
      Stones
      The who
      McCartney
      Billy Joel
      the boss

December 13, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. PuddinPop

Live and Let Die, by Sir Paul was best song of nite. However the fireworks were dumb and un-needed. Hard to hear full song, and smoke was bad.

December 13, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
    • lordpet

Paul's been playing it that way since he wrote the song

December 13, 2012 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. Goobis

And if you divide that by the square root of Pi, then add the 4th letter of the alphabet, you get 32D, which is precisely Madonna's bra size. Coincidence? I think not.

December 13, 2012 at 5:19 am | Report abuse |
    • cheesehulk

ive been to the far reaches of the message board universe since 1997, and you sir just won yourself one entire internet

December 14, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Karloff

And the world will end on 12-21-12–the middle "12" is inverted to "21." Oh, that rascal Satan. There's no meaning here–just more nonsense.

December 13, 2012 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
  6. sburns54

What would we do without the lunatic fringe to give us a chuckle now and then? Us normals can be so boring! Thanks, Keksi, for the first smile on my face of the day. PS Please send me a picture of you in your tinfoil hat for my fridge.

December 13, 2012 at 6:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. Marie MD

Great show for a great cause.
    @JoeyATL – Much better artist and could have closed the show with Empire State Of Mind. – you do know that this song is Jay Z's and right?
    Another note on why christie will NEVER be president In a crowd of thousands you couldn't miss him. He's like a blimp!

December 13, 2012 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Sharky

Well that is discrimination. Presidents can only be thin people? Oh I am sure if Christie was a Democrat and fat then it would be all right.

So much for tolerance and accepting people as they are. What a joke from the left.

December 13, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. paulina d

Where were the artists after Katrina?

December 13, 2012 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
    • LisaG

There was a benefit concert that raised $50 Million for Hurricane Katrina relief. Do your research dear.

December 13, 2012 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Sammy

or Ike? We were without power for three weeks and I was 60 miles off the coast. Are they biased much?

December 13, 2012 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Flooby

What about after hurricane Beatrice in 1942??

December 13, 2012 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

How QUICKLY people forget.....who can forget the Katrina concert/telethon when Kanye West blurted out, "George Bush hates black people".......I mean seriously......

December 13, 2012 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  9. Anders Behring Breivik (King of the Island)

I am sure that the real victims will see lots..and I mean lots of $$$ from this. America at it's finest!

December 13, 2012 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sammy

Where were the artists after Hurricane IKE, which hit Houston and the surrounding Gulf Coast, which was the third costliest hurricane in US history, right after Sandy?

Oh wait, we are not New York where all the celebrities live and play...

December 13, 2012 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
    • DaveNTexas

Ike hit Texas and Louisiana , Bush is from Texas..That's why you didn't hear a peep from anyone about having a relief concert. Texas is a little too red for them to care.Not to worry, we took care of the aftermath ourselves.

December 13, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
    • cedar rapids

'Texas is a little too red for them to care.Not to worry, we took care of the aftermath ourselves.'

funny that because Perry was straight to the feds for money and aid. Guess he didnt get your memo.

December 13, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
    • DaveNTexas

Try reading the post again, I didn't say anything about Perry or not asking for federal aid.

December 13, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  11. Flooby

I can't believe this concert didn't get more press...CNN!!

December 13, 2012 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
    • EastCoast Mike

I was thinking the same thing.....The show was supposedly seen by 2 Billion people yet I had to search CNN for any write up.

December 13, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  12. perihelium

I was sort of disappointed that I didn't start seeing the 'Text to 50555 to Donate' banner until almost 3 hours into the show, and that it was on-screen so infrequently thereafter. Now, of course, I say I was disappointed in not seeing it because it's certainly possible that I just MISSED it... but what was it, Katrina? 9/11? where they raised ridiculous money (in a very positive sense) from people simply sending texts and having the funds billed to their cell bills? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Europe has a pretty serious network of pay-by-cell systems where you can run cashless at retail. I believe we should do a little catch-up work and expand the use of this ubiquitous device. Wireless donation might be a confidence builder for at least one form of cellular financial transaction, leading to more public comfort with widespread application of cell-phone-as-payment-device.

Needless to say, I'm proud to say that once I saw it I (S)ent (M)y (S)upport! :)

Peace to those in the affected areas, kudos to The Robin Hood Foundation, and Happy Holidays to all.

December 13, 2012 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. liberal disease

the damage that Obama is doing to this country far exceeds any hurricane and Bonjovi and Springsteen are enablers of Barry. Wouldn't the 800 billion that Obama blew on his union buddies come in handy for sandy vivtims now! so much so we wouldn't need these aging Rockers to spew their lib politics coast to coast!

December 13, 2012 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy "Hurricane " Carter

Dude, seriously, your team lost. Get the F over it. Time to start thinking about next year. This country is no worse off with Obama running than it was with Bush or Reagan running it. And byu the way, Reagan is DEAD. He and Elvis are doing bong hits. You sound like a kid on the playground that takes his ball home because he didn't get his own way.

December 13, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • YoursIsNoDisgrace

Wow Liberal President and Conservative Governor work together to help victims. What a novel ideal. This is why true republicans need to take over there party.

December 13, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  14. BrotherT

I kept waiting for Taylor Swift to step up and take Kanye's mic.

December 13, 2012 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  15. My Inside Source...

Reports say it took them an hour to get them out of the nursing home and another hour to get their dentures on.. lol just kidding.. im sure it was awesome.. but seriously

December 13, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |