Woman's brilliant response to neighbor's elaborate Christmas display: 'Ditto'
Why try to out-do your neighbor when you can be this creative?
December 12th, 2012

Woman's brilliant response to neighbor's elaborate Christmas display: 'Ditto'

The holiday season can be a stressful time of year. All the gift shopping, fighting over whether you really need to go to Aunt Clara's house this year and of course the songs you hear repeatedly in any store while you attempt to shop.

We're not Grinches, though, we swear. We love a good holiday display, even if some of us happen to find it time-consuming. And we may have found our favorite decoration of the year.

Everyone knows it is hard to compete with that neighbor who goes all out every year. Kristina Green found herself in that exact situation with her home in Maricopa, Arizona.

"How am I gonna keep up with that guy?” Green told CNN affiliate KNXV. "I don’t even have a ladder."

But she clearly came up with a brilliant response: "Ditto."

We salute Green for her creativity and for giving us a chuckle this morning. You can go ahead and "like" her decoration on Facebook and then if you have a great display of your own or know of some other ones, please share it with us on iReport.

[Update at 2:20 p.m.] I've spent a bit of time digging around on this since I first posted since I can't stop laughing about it. I've got to say, this is one friendly neighborhood.

I had given most of the credit here to Green for her idea, but it turns out that the neighbor with the elaborate light display made the sign and helped her hang it up. So, congratulations to you both. You've made the internet smile today.

1. Jamie

Old. Someone else already did the "Ditto" 5 years ago as that shot went viral. She's not the first to be brilliant...

December 12, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jamie

Search "Christmas Ditto" on Google Images. That seems a standard reply to a neighbors elaborate decoration

December 12, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Thanks for being so negative.

December 12, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mona

I know, nice neighbor. It's uncreative and mean spirited.

December 12, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Your remark is old too. This is not the first time I've seen someone complaining about something they have already seen, who cares, get over it, let those who haven't seen anything like this enjoy it without your negativity.

December 12, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • watergirl

@Steve
      The problem here is that she is getting credit for someone elses's joke.

December 12, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamster

Steve: I agree with Jamie in that people shouldn't give credit for originality, creativity, or being briliiant when it's obiously old and copied from others.

It's just funny how after Carson Williams original Christmas light show, a majority of people copied not only his Wizard in Winter song selection but also the back and forth choreography that.

Same again when Holdman's stuff started getting popular, a big influx of people started copying his song selections and techniques.

I just don't think people should be rewarded for brilliance when when it just isn't warranted.

December 12, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO

Welcome to the internet, where these types of arguements are common.

December 12, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • So what

Wow, aren't you cool for pointing it out that someone did this before?!?! Why you hating on them? Envy is not a good trait.

Just move along and wish them well.

December 12, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • logical positivist

Ditto.

December 12, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian32

Funny you say that, a guy in my town did this with his neighbor in the early 1990's , was in Newsday in fact. I suppose the one you speak of actually copied from the guy in my town? lol i'm not complaining nor do i think any of them give a damn. It's about the spirit man. Chill out. Enjoy life.

December 12, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Marc

Jesus aint gonna pay this guy's electric bill....

December 12, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. leprechaun

I love it! We do our best, but.........

December 12, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Crsmith12

Yeah, but now the over 50 crowd get see it!

December 12, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • shoos

And the late 40ish crowd too. :D.

December 12, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zachary Jarocki

I agree with silver back. My grandfather is in his 60's and he owns a Playstation 3 and an iPad which he frequently uses.

December 13, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Merry CHRISTmas

CHRISTMAS, not Xmas!

December 12, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • M.E.

"X" is historically the abbreviation for Christ. It's how Jesus fish got started too, one pilgrim would draw the first line and a second (or on their return, they) would draw the second line and curving the two together on one side made a simple fish that sort of disguised the mark since being christian was a bit dangerous back then. I'm not even christian and I know this, go study the history of your religion.

December 12, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mona

LOL M.E.and Capn Kirk, now that's funny and educational too.

December 12, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obvious

Strange, I'm pretty sure the first instance of a fish was in the ocean. Clearly you should all study history.

December 12, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jebs

the "X" with a line over it is actually Greek short hand for Christ. You couldn't get more transliterate if you tried.

December 12, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Yes, the "X" comes from the symbol for "christ" and "X-mas" was used by the church at least as far back as the 1400's. I'm not christian either, and I know this. Funny how religious people seem to know the least about their own religion's history and literature...of course, if anyone bothered to actually READ the bible, they wouldn't believe that drivel.

December 12, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris R

The funny thing is that Christmas isn't even the most important holy day of the year. That's actually Easter. The events surrounding the mystery are really far more theologically meaningful than Christmas (which isn't even close to when Jesus was actually born). I'm not going to say it's on par with Chanukah (which is a relatively minor Jewish holiday) as it is a high holy day – but so is All Saints Day, the Immaculate Conception, The Assumption of Mary, etc. Many people seem to think it's the most important holy day because of the fuss we make about it but that's mostly a product of marketing and tradition rather than theology.

December 12, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • I Am God

Wow I am glad to see that some people actually know their history. Great job fellas.

December 12, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bev McM

This gave me quite a chuckle. Thank you!!

December 12, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. EJ

Wow....I bet you're even a let down when you think to yourself.

December 12, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. SentTheWave

From reality, to 4chan, to Reddit, to Digg, to FunnyJunk, to Facebook, back to Reddit, to Tosh.0, and finally to CNN.

December 12, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. mistamista

Brilliant! Now if we can get all of the Jesus freaks who know very, very little of their own religion's history to get an eduction PRIOR to posting, this would be a source of holiday cheer.

(By the way wing nuts, the ORIGINAL sign of Jesus was an "X", NOT a cross....just FYI. You won't find that in your Bible...very much like you will not find Evolution in your Bible...but both are real and true. Enjoy!)

December 12, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • MrHanson

Maybe you should debate Wiliam Craig if you think you know so much.

December 12, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • ImIrish

Why is it that atheists have to call everyone who believes in God or Jesus "Jesus Freaks"?! Or, why do you have to make fun of The Bible as "just a book"?!

If you don't want to believe, that's fine. I won't call you a non-believing freak, because I don't feel threatened by your non-belief. I wish you didn't feel threatened by believers who have faith.

December 12, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • heliocracy

ImIrish, I wouldn't feel threatened if the religious weren't trying to pass laws that force me to live by their religious principles, thus violating my freedom of religion.

December 13, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. logical positivist

As you get old and crusty, you realize that you've heard the same jokes in a slightly different form. The fashions return with only a minor change. The music is resampled. The movies are remakes. Teaching and technology "innovations" are copied endlessly and book plots recycle the same tropes. Deja vu begins as a transitory feeling and inevitably becomes a lifestyle.

December 12, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Aletheya

Now that's some truth-telling. I'm there myself.

December 12, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. local

Somewhere, Someplace @ some previous time what you said was already said. Nothing original.

December 12, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Dave in DC

ZZZZZZzzzzz......

December 12, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Portland tony

As Renault says in Casablanca: " I'm shocked shocked there's gambling ......." The same can be said for our foreign policy wonks over N.K.'s first successful launch of their long range 3 stage rocket. For over ten years of trying, they finally got it right and put a satellite in orbit. The Chinese eager to keep a buffer zone between S.K. and itself have given the North a tremendous propaganda weapon and some international credibility by assisting in the N.K. rocket
    Program plus give the US and Asian nations something to worry about other than a rising China. Shocking simply shocking .
    program.

December 12, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Portland tony

Whoa did I get on the wrong thread? Damned!

December 12, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Pete

And not ditto to his electric bill. +1 her.

December 12, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply