Woman's brilliant response to neighbor's elaborate Christmas display: 'Ditto'
Why try to out-do your neighbor when you can be this creative?
December 12th, 2012

Woman's brilliant response to neighbor's elaborate Christmas display: 'Ditto'

The holiday season can be a stressful time of year. All the gift shopping, fighting over whether you really need to go to Aunt Clara's house this year and of course the songs you hear repeatedly in any store while you attempt to shop.

We're not Grinches, though, we swear. We love a good holiday display, even if some of us happen to find it time-consuming. And we may have found our favorite decoration of the year.

Everyone knows it is hard to compete with that neighbor who goes all out every year. Kristina Green found herself in that exact situation with her home in Maricopa, Arizona.

"How am I gonna keep up with that guy?” Green told CNN affiliate KNXV. "I don’t even have a ladder."

But she clearly came up with a brilliant response: "Ditto."

We salute Green for her creativity and for giving us a chuckle this morning. You can go ahead and "like" her decoration on Facebook and then if you have a great display of your own or know of some other ones, please share it with us on iReport.

[Update at 2:20 p.m.] I've spent a bit of time digging around on this since I first posted since I can't stop laughing about it. I've got to say, this is one friendly neighborhood.

I had given most of the credit here to Green for her idea, but it turns out that the neighbor with the elaborate light display made the sign and helped her hang it up. So, congratulations to you both. You've made the internet smile today.

1. Merrily Snider

Keeping up with the Griswold's I see.

December 13, 2012 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joeymom

Why would Christmas decorations be "how do I keep up with that guy?" Let them have their fun, and you do what YOU like to do. No need to stress.

December 13, 2012 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. Backwards

"If you loved me, you would follow my commands" said Jesus Christ, who himself followed God's commands rather than the commands of men.
    Never did Jesus say "If you loved me, you would show it with lights."

December 13, 2012 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
    • heliocracy

Probably because he was incapable of predicting that electric lights would one day exist. More proof that he wasn't a god or the son of a god.

December 13, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Jesus Christ

I don't recall you being there when I was walking around, so I'm not sure how you know what I said.
      As I recall, most folks couldn't read or write either, so I'm not sure who is quoting me.
      Anyway, no more frankincense and myrrh for my birthday, folks, but keep the gold coming – LOL!

December 13, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Mat

@Helio. Bible is not a future prediction of technologies. Sure, Jesus did not talk about electricity or any of the technology . He was more interested in saving your soul. What ever he said is relevant no matter what humans develop.

December 13, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  4. Backwards

Of course December 25 was a Roman national holiday during the days of Jesus. Roman citizens even took pine trees into their homes and lit candles on them and placed gifts underneath.
    Of course Jews didn't celebrate the feast of the Saturnalia.on Dec. 25 back then, not today.
    Jesus didn't celebrate his birth. Why do you?

December 13, 2012 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Dirty Rotten Hippie

Darth, I couldn't have said it better, Thanks : )

December 13, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Inacuracy Kills

Saturnilia was actually celebrated traditionally on Dec 7 (later expanded to go til the 23). Christmas is a combo of that and Yule, which early Christians incorporated from Germanic pagan religions to convince them to convert to Christianity.

December 13, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Mat

I am a christian and I dont know why we celebrate christmas on Dec 25th. Jesus never even mentioned the day of his birth is special. I believe the spirit of christmas and good friday should be there in every one's life, every moment we live. The knowledge that we are redeemed and we need to live in faith, peace and love. Now it has come to shopping, gifts and holidays.

December 13, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. JFK

Ask not what the Feast of the Saturnalia can do for you. Rather, ask what your electicity bill will be after X-mas, and think of how many starved children could have been fed instead.

December 13, 2012 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Romney 2016

I always think of the starving children, because just think of how little you'd have to pay them if they worked in my factory!

5 cents of rice and I'd get 12 hours of good work with no Unions to worry about!

December 13, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom the Other One

@JFK
      How many of those children could have been feed for the price of your computer or cell phone?

December 13, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. kkat

This has been done. And more than once. Many years ago.

December 13, 2012 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. Moon

This has been done before many times.

December 13, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  8. anod

This isn't even original. It's been done many times over the years. Why is this one getting so much coverage?

December 13, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. Anthony

Why do people have to knock this down..."That has been done before." "It isn't even original." Ease up people...it's funny :)

December 13, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Concerned12345

I agree with Anthony. So what if this has been done before? Why can't you just enjoy this funny moment without trying to minimize it?

December 13, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. rad666

Why isn't it JESUSmas?

December 13, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom the Other One

Because it’s actually the winter solstice. Jebus followers are just suckers.

December 13, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. rad666

I wonder what C_N_N is getting paid for the link to facebook in the article?

December 13, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  12. cosmotcat

Jeezus. Would you Bible thumpers PLEASE give it a freakin' rest, already.

December 13, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jesus Christ

Yup – this person speaks for me.
    My lack of tolerance is well known.

December 13, 2012 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  14. Julian

That neighbor successfully saved about $300 more a month than Mr. Attention Lights over there

December 13, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  15. farcry228

Made my day. Thanks
    We need a little light hearted news like this to get away from all the doom and gloom stuff.
    Dont be a hatter