Woman's brilliant response to neighbor's elaborate Christmas display: 'Ditto'
Why try to out-do your neighbor when you can be this creative?
December 12th, 2012

Woman's brilliant response to neighbor's elaborate Christmas display: 'Ditto'

The holiday season can be a stressful time of year. All the gift shopping, fighting over whether you really need to go to Aunt Clara's house this year and of course the songs you hear repeatedly in any store while you attempt to shop.

We're not Grinches, though, we swear. We love a good holiday display, even if some of us happen to find it time-consuming. And we may have found our favorite decoration of the year.

Everyone knows it is hard to compete with that neighbor who goes all out every year. Kristina Green found herself in that exact situation with her home in Maricopa, Arizona.

"How am I gonna keep up with that guy?” Green told CNN affiliate KNXV. "I don’t even have a ladder."

But she clearly came up with a brilliant response: "Ditto."

We salute Green for her creativity and for giving us a chuckle this morning. You can go ahead and "like" her decoration on Facebook and then if you have a great display of your own or know of some other ones, please share it with us on iReport.

[Update at 2:20 p.m.] I've spent a bit of time digging around on this since I first posted since I can't stop laughing about it. I've got to say, this is one friendly neighborhood.

I had given most of the credit here to Green for her idea, but it turns out that the neighbor with the elaborate light display made the sign and helped her hang it up. So, congratulations to you both. You've made the internet smile today.

1. Jay

I'm not a fan of Obama either, but get real... Are you part of the Westboro Baptist Church? Let me guess... Fred Phelps is your leader and you are his obedient follower? I'm not a theology professor, but I have never read anywhere in the Bible that says anything about hating democrats.

December 13, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Scott

Go to Google Images, type the words; Christmas Lights Ditto in the search block. You will get a lot of pictures that show the same thing. No, it's not an original idea, and there should be some mention of the other people who also used Ditto in their Christmas lights. Why not give some credit to the other home owners who have done the same thing for years, instead of just these select individuals in Arizona? This article is in need of another update.

December 13, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Charley

Wwwaaaaaaaa!!

December 13, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Boba

Because it was on a "cool" site and they have to keep the appearance they are up on things. At least they had a story on the IKEA monkey, two days after all the other sites, but it still made it.

December 13, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. your mom

people has been doing this in lights for decades.

seen it many times.

December 13, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • irunner

I must have missed it many times for decades...

December 13, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • PushingBack

I've never seen this before and I've been around for many decades.

December 14, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

First of all it should be "have been doing". Yeah and I haven't seen this in ten years.

December 14, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • jp

"Your Mom" is right. This has been done before; I've seen a couple of pics over the last few years.

December 15, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • tron777

Fred Flintstone used to do this in front of his rock house with colored rocks.

December 18, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • leah

I have seen this on the internet before also.. This was done a few years ago by someone else. It's not something new.

January 2, 2013 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. Thompson

Would have been great if it hadn't already been a hipster internet meme for the last several years. I read an article earlier this year about someone's "brilliant" idea of "Hanksgiving" (Tom Hanks themed Thanksgiving) which has been an Internet meme for nearly a decade.

These people need to get on the Googles.

December 13, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris

Not everyone is an internet geek, sitting on their duffs and keeping up with internet memes and other things that absolutely do not matter. This was clever. Get a life. Get some sunshine. Get a haircut.

December 13, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Charles

Seriously? This is very very old. Internet is not necessary, only eyes to see "ditto" written in lights

December 14, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Saganwagon

How is this brilliant? Lazy.

December 13, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Chris

This is so old. I remember seeing this when I had AOL 3.0.

December 13, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rage

Best Comment....

December 14, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Carl Rivera

Why in the world would anyone feel the need to "compete"... with a neighbor's seasonal lights..??

December 14, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • PushingBack

My lights are brighter than yours! And your little lights are not twinkling!

December 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karl

Why ask why? That's what people do. What rock do you live under?

December 14, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bee

In my neighborhood in the suburban Washington Metro area, a local resident, who happens to be the pastor of a nearby Episcopal church, has condemned Christmas lights as un-Christian. That has not stopped several neighbors from putting on elaborate displays. Those who have their lights on are of the "white-only" school - apparently thinking that white lights are more sophisticated than lowly colored ones. So I put out a small display of colored lights just so they all have something to talk about!

December 14, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. advancedwars

Ditto used Transform...

December 14, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jigglypuff

Brilliant!

December 14, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bry

Google Ditto Christmas lights pictures. There's tons of these images. I have no idea why this is all of a sudden newsworthy.

December 14, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. notkalvin

Brilliant? Recycled. Been done many times for many years.

December 14, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Karen

Hats off to you! Ditto is just the perfect statement.

December 14, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Ann

I think it's cute. Haven't seen it before. Thank you for the smile much needed after today's terrible news.

December 14, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Bari

You know what – it's ridiculous that anyone should feel the need to compete. The decorations should be for personal enjoyment and desire and the neighbors get the benefit to enjoy your personal fulfillment!

December 19, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. ALAN FISCHER

There is no birth of Christ–Christmas was made up by man–the bible was written by man

December 20, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jim

Next y'all gonna tell us they ain't no Santy Claus.

December 31, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. scott

Its because she knows some one at CNN

December 25, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply