House Speaker John Boehner has offered to include higher tax rates on the wealthiest Americans as part of a deficit-reduction deal to avoid the fiscal cliff, a source close to the talks confirmed to CNN on Saturday.
The latest twist in the negotiations, first reported by Politico, indicates a possible breakthrough in the protracted efforts to forge a deal to reduce the nation's chronic federal deficits and debt.
According to the source, who spoke on condition of not being identified further, Boehner proposed allowing tax rates on income over $1 million to return to higher rates of the 1990s while extending current reduced rates for all income up to that threshold.
However, Boehner's spokesman said no deal had been reached, though communication continues with the White House.
Very good point on the $680 bil to israel @ saywhat. And my comment wasnt blocked it was deleted.
You see, I explained it to my friends from Egypt- "when average people are subjected to endless stupidity in the name of George Washington, a British Elite- its called "liberty", but when Romney Hillaryville are hit- its called "tragedy"."
Adding taxes to the rich amounts to nothing more than a symbolic gesture.
Only 3% of US are rich and control more wealth than the other 97% of US. Of these individuals, 85% claim to be "christian"...swearing on bibles are US Presidents and praying to God before each session are rich congresspersons who quote Jesus Christ as an authority.
If you add tax burdens to these ultra-wealthy christians, you risk how much money is donated to your Israel of God. That is all that you would be doing.
The 15% of US who are wealthy non-believers will simply close-up shop if you over-tax them. Their monies are not dedicated to this god of yours.
There are MORE than 3% of americans earning more than 250k a year. Doesnt matter, Congress is just spend, spend, spend and its NOT for the good of our country its for the good of THEIR special interests! If the citizens gotta cutback so should government!
And we need to STOP sending money to Israel! They just wanta stick us in another war that we dont belong in. And stop sending to Pakistan and North Korea and every other country looking for hand outs. And raise taxes on Co. outsourcing jobs w/child labor!
And Congress should get hourly wages just like every other American. They dont show up, they dont get paid, they dont work while theyre there they dont get paid! Quit milking the americans tax dollars! Insider trading, fine em and throw em in jail!
They are getting way too many perks with these jobs that they hang onto forever! Every other american citizen has to provide their own transportation to work, pay for their own fuel and they dont get paid for travel time. Start eliminating this stuff!
mmh...it seems to me everytime boehner wears an orange tie he ain't cooperating...if his tie ain't red, he's lying and still got alotta no up his vehind...
lol @ Rascal, thats too flippin funny! Wish i woulda seen your post last nite.
Boehners on a sinking ship and all his republican rats are jumpin overboard aren't they...Won't be long till there's an echo in congress because all the republicans will be gone and Norquists pledge won't matter when nobody will be there that signed it,really pathedic when you're too arrogent to know when to hold em ,when to fold em right nitwit!!
The wealthy should pay more, and the poor should pay something. Cut out the free rides!!!
This blog – This Just In – will no longer be updated. Looking for the freshest news from CNN? Go to our ever-popular CNN.com homepage on your desktop or your mobile device, and join the party at @cnnbrk, the world's most-followed account for news.