December 18th, 2012

NRA 'prepared ... to help make sure this never happens again'

The National Rifle Association America has released the following statement its first since Friday's shootings that left 20 children and six women dead at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut:

"The National Rifle Association of America is made up of 4 million moms and dads, sons and daughters and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown.

"Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting.

"The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.

"The NRA is planning to hold a major news conference in the Washington, D.C., area on Friday, December 21."

Newtown shooting: How to help

Filed under: Connecticut • Crime
  1. CJ

I am upset with the NRA for their lack of progress on this issue in the past but yet welcome them coming to the table with all Americans to come up with a reasonable soultion on how we can have a gun to protect ourselves or a Rifle to hunt but that we do not need semi automatic assault rifles. No more debates. It is time for action.

December 18, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. marshu

Sure NRA, I'll hold my breath waiting for you to make a 'meaningful contribution.'

December 18, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blingblingsa

Crocodile tears and Wild West gun solution : ie arm every 6 year old with a gun lol

December 18, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. DaninSac

No doubt the official NRA spokesperson will come out and say that those children would still be alive if only their parents had sent them to school with a gun in each of their backpacks.

December 18, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MACTSW

But probably not surprised.

December 18, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Russell

Well, this is certainly the support needed to get some real change. I applaud the NRA for both waiting to respond and offering their contributions. It really does "feel different" this time. Let's finally exercise some logical, fair #guncontrol

December 18, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TheMovieFan

The NRA's ideas probably include increased gun proliferation.

December 18, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TheMovieFan

On target, Jeff.

December 18, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • bpsf

Was that a sick pun?

December 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. LInday Brighton

Umm...... let me guess – they are going to donate one AK-47 to every school Principal in the country – to defend themselves. Or how about designating one of the 'well regulated militia' members that all the gun owners belong to take turns standing guard over every school in the nation.

December 18, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dennis Daniels

Four miullion members with blood on their hands.

December 18, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • XxMacleodxX

shut up and quit being a twit

December 18, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Margie

That's why it's taken so long to put out a statement....had to get all that blood off their fingers to type.

December 18, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Cox

Looks like MacLeod cares a little less about one's first amendment rights than he does his own second amendment rights.

Way to go, MacLeod!

December 18, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Matt

As a matter of interest, the NRA has 4 million members. The US population is around 360 million. Thus, their membership, while strong on gun rights is representative of just over 1/10th of 1 percent. That this small group has such power over our elected officials is mind boggling. And before you flame me, I own guns, grew up with guns, and have great respect for guns. I have no issue with people owning guns. But we don't need military grade weaponry in every household or thousands of rounds of ammo. Let's get talking about this & do something to make sure that we have done our best to ensure another classroom of 6 year olds isn't murdered in broad daylight in their own school.

December 18, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • XxMacleodxX

sounds great and all but it is really too late for that...no one knows who has what anymore and any legislation passed will go on "good faith" .....I agree that no person needs assault weapons but it is too late to put the genie back in the bottle

December 18, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • NovaSportster

Nice math skills. That would actually be just over 1% of the US population. Not that it matters...

December 18, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. n8r0n

The NRA is shocked and saddened?

And if you make any attempt to reinstate sensible restrictions on gun ownership, they will bury you in a mountain of negative advertising, making it unlikely that you ever get re-elected.

If you're a member of the NRA, you are supporting these death-mongers.

December 18, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Cox

I am a member. I own a gun. I have advocated within the NRA for sanity. The members vote on issues and their positions are not unanimous. I feel I have a responsibility to maintain membership so it's not entirely left to all the fringe (note: the operative word is "entirely").

You need to understand how the NRA works. Not everyone in there supports their positions. Just saying ...

December 18, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. etaylor

ha, "to make sure this never happens again": we at the NRA support the arming of all teachers and, hey, we will even support relaxing some gun restrictions to make it easier for teachers to obtain weapons.

also, i wonder why nobody is talking about a boycott against Dick's Sporting Goods (who have temporarily removed semi-automatic weapons) should they choose to continue selling these guns? boycotts are one of the strongest political weapons–as history has shown–for citizens to effect meaningful change.

December 18, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sgraffwriter

No. The NRA didn't do this killing. They only do everything in their power to make it easier for crazy people to commit these assault weapon massacres. After all, guns don't kill people.

December 18, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BW

Fighting for my rights goes beyond the second amendment or me having firearms and legally carrying them. It’s also taking responsibility to protect my rights. I am prepared to pay for my rights in order to keep them. But, I am not prepared to have my government strip me of my rights to try and punish the wicked, criminal and evil that we see more and more everyday.

December 18, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Your rights as a gun owner, should not include military weapons and high capacity clips. These have no place in society. There is no need for them

December 18, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • BW

Yes it does, because I am willing to be responsible it is my right to have these weapons. Our roads have no reason to have fast cars that can drive in excess of 100mph. But, if you buy a vehicle you are taking responsibility for your actions. There s not comparing the mass murder of innocent children to that of someone driving fast. So the basis your arguement does not apply

December 18, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • lunacy in the gop

no one is punishing law abiding gun owners, the idea to curtail the crazies from possessing guns. If you were to be "punished" it would be called jail.
      btw, the second amendment only validates "regulated militias" to have fire arms NOT individuals and according to a 2008 supreme court decision the gov't can ban assault weapons but NOT hand guns. so relax already, you'll get to keep your noise makers

December 18, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • BW

If Feinstein bill passes, we are to surrender our weapons that make it on the banned list. Please validate if I am wrong. Thus punishing gun owners. BTW, as I stated my argument goes beyond the 2nd amendment...BEYOND. Curtail crazies with changing laws like HIPPA and gun show loopholes. BOOM goes the noise maker

December 18, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jake

I'm sure "meaningful contributions" amounts to donating free guns for the surviving Sandy Hook teachers. They're all terrorists.

December 18, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |