December 23rd, 2012

Sunday's live events

The talk in Washington is all about the "fiscal cliff" and what the president and Congress need to do to avoid it.  Watch CNN.com Live for continuing coverage of the fiscal cliff debate.

Today's programming highlights...

3:00 pm ET - Sen. Inouye memorial service - President Obama will attend the final memorial service for the late Sen. Daniel Inouye at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Budget • Economy • Finance • Hawaii • On CNN.com today • Politics • Taxes • U.S.
  1. chrissy

That aint much talk today in washington then is it? Since theyve all gone home for the holidays, after completing NOTHING! They shouldve been, sequestured, for lack of a better term. And not allowed to leave until the *verdict* was submitted to the prez!

December 23, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Oh, they'll pull an 11th hour solution out of their hat, chrissy, no doubt.

December 23, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. saywhat

Good morning@chrissy@banasy
    No surprises here.

December 23, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. saywhat

We should feel grateful to NRA for making it clear that they'll oppose any gun control. We would never have been able to come to that conclusion by ourselves.
    Now that they have reached to the core of the problem – gun violence stems from movies not by use of guns. Problem solved.

December 23, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Hide Behind

You cannot be worshipping at the alters of our Warrior Cult on the one hand while your other hand is fondling yourself as being a member of a peacefull angelic nation.

December 23, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

Lol good morning @ banasy and @ saywhat! Dont forget them dayum video games! That of course is true! They also encourage children to veg all day, making them less active and *ahem* obese.

December 23, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Dang chrissy, I can't believe you used the "O" word.

December 23, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

Y'all are being too confusing. I dropped in and scanned these posts. Then I had to go back and study the board to learn what the O-word was. I use it all the time.
      My guess was much more interesting.

December 23, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Good morning, folks.
    The NRA's "solution" is absolutely ridiculous.
    There is NO reason a civilian should have assault weaponry, and all of the bloviating ny the NRA isn't going to change that.

December 23, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Hide Behind

Run as fast as you can, for there is a stampeed of the herds.
    Gun owners will be ground to dust as even the sheep are trying to bellow and kick up their heels as the collective herds run amuck.
    They cannot see beyond the butt in front and hearing one moo or bleet they join the chorus

December 23, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

Lol @ HB, you sure have a flair with words doncha? And @ banasy, while i agree, assault rifles should not be in the hands of ordinary citizens, i do believe in the 2nd amendment. But more importantly, parents NEED to be more responsible!

December 23, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ummmmmm

Please show me where banasy said she is against the 2nd amendment. Banasy didn't.

December 23, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

Lol @ bobcat, me either. I couldnt think of a better l @ the time. Now tho, the ones that best describes 2days children would be unhealthy, lazy & downright disrespectful. & much as i hate 2 say this, tis mostly the parents fault, cuz of gov interference!

December 23, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat)©

Little Johnny was planning on getting lots of preasents for Christmas. He knew that god had a connection to the North Pole, and stood up and started to pray.
    "God, I have been a child of perfection this year. I think I should get lots of presents... no that won't work."

He got on his knees.
    "God, I haven't been the best child since last December. I still deserve lots of preasents for my efforts... no that won't work either!"

He laid face flat on the floor.
    "God, I have been a complete devil this year. But I can change, I promise! No, theres no way he'll beleive that!"

Johnny went to his last resort. He walked over to the model of the stable that Jesus was born in. Little Johnny reached in and pulled out the Virgin Mary. He went into his room, wrapped Mary in a sock, and placed her in his drawer.

"God, if you ever want to see your mother again...

December 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

And im sure everyone posting here knows EXACTLY what im talking about. When the government took away parents ability 2 discipline their children, they created a whole different source of problems! And babysitting your kids with tech devices isnt an option

December 23, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. peggy

Just watched interview with Perter Orszag and Chrystia Freeland on the economy. The solution to the economic problems in this country doesn't just lye in cutting the waste from the healthcare system. I work in an emergency dept and I don't even get an opportunity to take a break to eat or go to the restroom. So if they cut Medicare reimbursements from the government even more then what? I can't properly take care of the patients I see now because of cuts in Medicare – so I'll just have to take care of more patients? Then I'll get sued for making a mistake! I went into this field because I actually care about people and wanted to do the right thing not because I wanted to make umpteen millions. If we want to cut healthcare spending look at the lawyers who make us order unnecessary tests for fear of being sued, or make malpractice insurance astronomical for healthcare providers or the insurance companies who have led to the need for a gigantic staff to support the complicated insurance billing process. That won't happen because the insurance lobby is too large and the politicians are lawyers. I'm sure the lawyers and insurance agents get to sit and read the paper and drink their coffee while at work while I'm desperately trying to address the needs of my patients. I am not inefficient- I am overworked, over-stressed and underpaid CNN!

December 23, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

@ cnn, you got a problem with me not liking government interference in our daily lives? Our was it a problem for me thanking @ Peggy for her unselfish service to humanity? Why else would you delete my post??

December 23, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

oops meant *or* not our.

December 23, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

Good afternoon @ Joey! Bobcat referenced the o word because it really means *o*ffensive! And its generally used by some when *ahem* hes trying to be mean. And as for that other post, i STILL have NOT found one story corraberating your claim!!

December 23, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ chrissy:
      How can "offensive" be a forbidden word? Pretty soon we won't have a complete language–oh, I forgot: we're all supposed to be communicating telepathically now, since Dec. 21.
      I've been told that I'm a Pleiadian.

December 23, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ummmmmm

Obese was the "o" word bobcat was talking about.

December 23, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |