December 25th, 2012

Gunmen kill 6 in attack on church in Nigeria

Gunmen in northern Nigeria attacked a church's Christmas Eve services, killing six people and setting the building on fire, police said.

A pastor was slain in the incident, police said.

It was the latest strike against Christians in the region. More than 30 people died in a wave of Christmas Day attacks in the north last year, blamed on Boko Haram, a militant group that has targeted Christians and Muslims it considered insufficiently Islamist.

"Suspected members of the group have bombed or opened fire on worshipers in at least 18 churches across eight northern and central states since 2010. In Maiduguri, the group also forced Christian men to convert to Islam on penalty of death," Human Rights Watch said in an October report.

It is not immediately known if the group was behind the latest attack.

FULL STORY
  1. DickPerry

Why did they let a american into the country? No wonder there was a mass shooting.

December 25, 2012 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack

If the killer was an American then he must be an American Muslim. They are letting in too many Muslims in here. Muslims need to stay in their filthy Muslim countries.

December 25, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DeeCee10000

Merry Christmas! ! ! lol Would be great if this happened more often to totally obnoxious cretins who think everybody celebrates THEIR holidays. As annoying as these people are, it's no wonder people are blowing them up and setting them on fire in other countries. lol

December 25, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Oh, my...no matter if you like Christians or not, nobody deserves to get whacked like that.

December 25, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary

I must agree with banasy© on this one, your post is very revealing about your person! ;(

December 25, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack

If the killer was an American then he must be an American Muslim. They are letting in too many muslims in here. Muslims need to stay in their filthy Muslim countries.

December 25, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

I am 100% sure that Hamsta would agree with you, Jack.

December 25, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. AtchesonKANSASshotsfired

Congo (DRC) has witnessed consecutive civil wars between 1996 and 2003 that have claimed an estimated five million lives, making it the world’s deadliest conflict since World War II.

December 25, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. Rasheed

Too bad people in West Africa don't learn from the peaceful Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, which has spread to nearly all countries of the world, but the media don't notice them. They have a motto of "Love for All; Hatred for None". Muslims in Nigeria and elsewhere should use them as models and see their level of success. YouTube them and their leader Masroor addressing members of the US Congress and the European Parliament. CNN did only one main story on them, if I remember correctly.

December 25, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack

I looked it up. Al Qaeda is all Sunni muslims. Sunni muslims are the terrorists.

December 25, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Hamsta

Why don't you ever see knife, or bomb, or baseball bat combined with the word man to form a single word? As if the man would not have made the choice to kill if gun didn't tell him to do so? I mean gun's are so evil that if we took them away it would magically bring an end to violence. The trurh is, if you take the gun away that man would have made more barbaric way to kill, but they aren't going to call him batman or bombman.

December 25, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Well Banasy as I just said, because you rot your brain with the left wing propoganda you ate unaware that atheists are putting billboards that say."keep the merry" with a picture of santa clause and "dump the myth" with a picture of jesus, muslims shooting up our churches, but you call it a gunman instead. Do know why they want gun control? Your founding fathers told you why and that is the very reason the left wing whackos want to take them away. Some of the things phillip tells you aren't just conspiracy theories, they are true, hence how much the liberals demonize the founding fathers. The reason for the second ammendment is that I reserve the right to shoot and kill any power hungry govetnment official that wants to invade my property. My religion practices tolerance not bigotry, but I find myself a victim of bigotry on a daily basis while people like you blame the victim. Jwsus tells me to turn the other cheek but how many cheeks do I have? At what point do we just say that muslims are an intolerant religion that needs to be wiped off this earth?

December 25, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Hamsta.
      I am aware of that billboard, and I think it is every bit as intolerant of the American Atheists, who put the billboard up, as someone who says things as "At what point do we just say that muslims are an intolerant religion that needs to be wiped off this earth?"
      Religious bigots do those things.
      One doesn't have to be left-wing or right-wing to recognize that.

December 25, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Not to mention, the Muslims feel that way about Christians, which is why this heinous crime happened; Boko Harem are every bit as much religious bigots as a good "Christian" who says things like "At what point do we just say that muslims are an intolerant religion that needs to be wiped off this earth?"
      Hence, the continued conflict.

December 25, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Hamsta

It's really something that CNN chose the word "Gunmen" instead of using the proper words such as terrorists, muslims, religous bigots, or any of those other colorful descriptions they reserve for the tea party or christians, or someone who simply wants you to stop calling it a "holiday tree" and call it what it is, a Christmas tree. You see there is a war on conservative Christian values but you would never know it because the left wing propaganda machine is even better at lieing than joseph geobelles. And yes Banasy that should ring your guilty conscience, it was only yesterday that you refered to me as a religous bigot. By the way it was the Occupy protestors who tried to blow up a bridge and committed terrorism and a long list of felonies. as with every time the liberals point a finger, it is attached to a guilty conscience

December 25, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Hamsta.
      It is well known that you consider the only good Muslim is a dead one.
      That is religious bigotry.
      You are guilty of that, I am not.
      People should worship in the way they see fit. Or not.
      You are a bigot.
      I am not.
      My conscience is clear, but since you saw fit to bring my name up, it is painfully apparent who really suffers from a guilty conscience.
      Have a Merry Christmas, or try to, anyway.
      Oh, I might add:
      There is no official religion of the US.
      Sorry is the melding pot that is America disturbs you so much.

December 25, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Oh, and the only people that declared War on Chritmas is the Fox "News" Channel, who has made it their prefered seasonal programming for the last three years.
      Really, that stuff will rot one's brain.
      Merry Christmas, Hamsta, and Happy New Year.

December 25, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Recommended reading for you, Hamsta, is Mary's insightful posts in the Weather blog.
      The day you call Christ's Birthday isn't.
      Merry Christmas, Hamsta.

December 25, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Hide Behind

US sending rapid responce teams to 35 african nations now the only thing africans will have to watch for are us paid mercs from own and surrounding areas and do not have large family wedding parties and if they see big birds in sky whatever they do is do not hide in a mosque.

December 25, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. A1

Ah.....the religion of peace strikes again.

December 25, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. wull

Wull, as long as we get Africa's diamonds and oil for our very own, we should just stay out of it.

December 25, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. wull

We don't get many christmas trees from africa anyway. do we? most of the stuff we ever got from africa was black.

December 25, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

Lol @ Joey, im assuming 4 is for how many cheeks you have, you cheeky guy? Lmao! Hope you had a marvelous Christmas. :d

December 25, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

Nice to see things havent changed here, posts get deleted then reappear lol. Cnn is getting quite tempermental. I still say he reminds me of Archie Bunker!

December 25, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ¬©‚ĄĘ

In my experience, human beings cannot be defined as bad or good by their choice of a religion, or even a choice of no religion at all.
      I know wonderful Muslims, and I know of evil deeds done by Muslims in the name of their religion. I see the same opposites, horrible and good, in acts of Christians.
      I had a full but tiring Christmas today, and I'm off to bed. 'Night.

December 25, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

@chrissy:
      Archie Bunker was a fictional character-he had an excuse; he was written that way.
      Alas.

December 25, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jack

Muslims like to kill. Muslims hate Christians. Muslims hate Jews. Muslims hate Hindus. Muslim hate Buddhists. Koran commands Muslims to kill everyone they hate.

December 25, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

It isnt JUST muslims that like to kill, watch the news! Sheesh. We live in the murder capitol of the world!

December 25, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

Muslims "also forced Christian men to convert to Islam on penalty of death". JUST Muslims act like this.

December 26, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

NOT that Archie Bunker LMAO, i mean the decesed one, my dad! Im convinced the fictional one was based on my dad!

December 25, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Chrissy:
      Ohhhhh! I had no idea that's who you meant!
      I had forgotten that you had called him that.
      Mea culpa.
      Caroll O'Connor is also deceased, (may his re-runs live forever!)

December 26, 2012 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |