December 26th, 2012

Official: At least 100 homes, businesses damaged by storms in Alabama

[Updated at 1:16 p.m. ET] At least 100 homes and business were damaged in the city of Mobile, Alabama with an additional 20 to 25 structures damaged just outside of the city, an Alabama Emergency Management official said.

Eleven other counties are reporting structural damage, however August did not have exact numbers.

Pike County, south of Montgomery, reported that one adult male was severely injured by the storm, however the extent of his injures were not known.

[Posted at 9:27 a.m. ET] At least 215,000 power customers are without power in the Gulf Cost region due to a weather system that moved thru the region yesterday and overnight, according to local power companies

[Posted at 9:17 a.m. ET] Major Chris Heathscott, spokesman for the Arkansas National Guard, says they have deployed resources for ambulance support in Pulaski and Faulkner counties.

Fourteen personnel, and seven ambulances are providing ambulance support in the region. Heathscott, says that the area has had 6-8" of snow. Little Rock is in Pulaski County.

Post by:
Filed under: Arkansas • Tornadoes • Weather
  1. chrissy

Thinking of you @ bobcat, hope all is well with you and your family.

December 26, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Hamsta

Its good to see Arkansas got some emergency help, but they are to far inland to be called the Gulf Coast.

December 26, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ chrissy

Thank you for your concern my friend. We had a heck of a ride last night, but everything is all right. There is a lot of damage in some of the surrounding areas and many thousands without power but they say power will be restored hopefully today.

December 26, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • dazzle ©

Hello all and I hope your holidays were great. @bobcat(in a hat), I'm glad you checked in my friend, please be safe.

December 26, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Oh, I am glad you are okay, Rawr!
      I was terrified when I first clicked on this story...
      Phew!

December 26, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Hide Behind

Stretching Arkansas to the gulf is even more extreme than the storms.
    That it borders a Gulf Coast state and a couple more states besides,is good because otherwise no one would even know it existed outside of football season.

December 26, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. banasy©

National guard deploys resources to Arkansas.
    215k without power on Gulf Coast.
    Two different subjects, put into one headline, separated by a ;
    Why is everyone so confused?

December 26, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. saywhat

good morning@bobcat. Be safe. Good to see you all friends here.

December 26, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ bobcat (iah):
    You've been in my thoughts today and I'm glad to hear that you're all right.

December 26, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ bobcat (iah):
    I tried to send a post to you but maybe you're receiving too much attention for the censor.
    Glad you're OK. Be careful.

December 26, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. ruffnutt

storms...pure evil...

December 26, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. ruffnutt

that comment will probally get banned..

December 26, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

It's snowing in Manhattan now. I set out candles and matches for our friend Con Ed. My too-good ears popped a lot, and the parakeet panicked an hour ago, insisting on being covered.
    There's food for a few days, as always, but I haven't prepared as well as I did for the hurricane.

December 26, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

My goodness, JIF; are you supposed to be hit with a blizzard?
      I should turn on the television occasionally.

December 26, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dave

Snowing here right now in Alabama. Strange weather.

December 26, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. saywhat

@ JI-F

Hope & pray conditions improve. Take care & be safe.

December 26, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ banasy and @ saywhat:
    Thanks to both of you. I sent more, but it didn't post.

December 26, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

This seems to be a common problem these days.
      One I wish would get taken care of.

December 26, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat (in a hat)©

To all my blogging friends

I've been trying to post for some time to thank all of you for your concerns. We are doing alright down here. In and around my area got hit pretty hard. A lot of homes and businesses took it straight on. I don't know how many cat lives I have left, but they sure have come in handy lately.
    Joey, you be safe up there my friend.

December 26, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply