December 26th, 2012

Newspaper sparks outrage for publishing names, addresses of gun permit holders

An interactive map showing the names and addresses of all handgun permit holders in New York's Westchester and Rockland counties has infuriated many readers since it was posted Saturday on a newspaper's website.

The map, published by The Journal News, allows readers to zoom in on red dots that indicate which residents are licensed to own pistols or revolvers. It had prompted more than 1,700 comments as of Wednesday morning.

Blue dots indicate permit holders who "have purchased a firearm or updated the information on a permit in the past five years."

"So should we start wearing yellow Stars of David so the general public can be aware of who we are??" one commenter wrote.

"This is crazy!" wrote another.

Some of those responding threatened to cancel their subscriptions or boycott the publication.

"I hope you lose readers now," one wrote.

The map came about in the wake of the massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, according to a statement from The Journal News.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Gun violence
  1. Mary

Agreed @ Hamsta, I seem to be controlled this very moment. Can't post Cnn, You should have fixed the problem by now you said you were working on @ Tech #3

December 26, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

They delete your questions because they don't match very well with the brainwashing and propoganda that they are trying to force on less intelligent people. They have to make gun control sound as if it's good for you. You asked a question you weren't supposed to ask and I gave you the answer they are trying to hide from you.

December 26, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mary

I am forming questions about the Sandy Hook Shooting NOT giving out misinformation @ Cnn

December 26, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mary

Okie Dokie, I'll save my questions for another day Cnn !!!

December 26, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mary

I figured that one out long ago @ Hamsta
    It's no use talking to anyone at Cnn. Therefore, I will assume they are what they appear to be ... apart of the Tyranny

December 26, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

You know Mary I would think that a librarian with all the books and information staring them in the face would know about Joseph Geobelles and propoganda amd be able to see and comprehend what is happening in front of their face instead of savoring every last drop of the Kool Aid, but I guess you havw to be German and callwd Nazi your whole life and hated for something you and your ancestors had nothing to do with to get that picture.

December 26, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Your garbage doesn't even warrant a reply, Hamsta.
      Have a great New Year's!

December 26, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • s kel

Yeah Hamsta is a complete fool. As for Mary I dont agree with her in a lot of things but what you said about cnn is true.

December 26, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

The fools re elected Obama, the fools want to tax the rich and can't figure out why they are losing their healthcare benefits and royalties at work.

December 27, 2012 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. Acgogo

I'd rather know who is holding assault type weapons – and how many they have. At Sandy Hook and else the assault weapon was used probably because it can do so much damage in just a few seconds.

December 26, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

Personally i dont like guns but what i dislike even more is losing my right to own one if i so choose!

December 26, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

Hamsta wth is your problem? If your this frustrated get a gf or an inflatable one! That might be best anyway then you can use it for a punching bag too!

December 26, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Oh really, its not like I called her archie bunker or anything, I wonder who that was?

December 26, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

And how do you think Mary feels when you and Banasy gang up on her?

December 26, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

Lol @ s kel, so youve noticed hes been jumpin on banasy like flies on you know what have you? And for several days too. Maybe he has a crush on her lmao! In grade school your species was always mean to the girls they liked so maybe thats it? Lmfao!

December 26, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

Well sometimes your bigotry is just TOO much!!!!

December 26, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

I'm not the bigot, I am the victim of bigotry but you are a hypocite. Bigotry is when you kill christians on christmas eve. Bigotry is when you refuse to call it a christmas tree, bigotry is when you force me to buy a $125 ID just to keep a job while giving illegal immigrants free drivers' liscense.

December 26, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

Well sometimes your big otry is just TOO much! And i didnt call you Archie Bunker, i said you remind me of him! Have you listened to yourself lately?

December 26, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

Well sometimes your big o try is just TOO much! And i didnt call you Archie Bunker, i said you remind me of him! Have you listened to yourself lately?

December 26, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

I didnt CALL you Archie Bunker, i said you remind me of him! Have you listened to yourself lately?

December 27, 2012 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

Lol hamsta, grow up! I dont make you get a license, and i call it a christmas tree! And i dont attack Mary.AND i dont belittle ppl for their religous beliefs, thats what YOU do!

December 27, 2012 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

I read your post the other day when you said all m uslims should be wiped from this planet. Thats NOT a victim, thats a BIGOT!

December 27, 2012 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

Ok mr victim, you can just hate on everyone by yourself! Having a conversation with you is always negative and i dont have time for that. GN

December 27, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Actually all the negativity comes from the liberals, They see no wrong in bending over backwards to please anti American and anti Christian people while stomping on my knowledge ( other people have beliefs, when they themselves meet the grim reaper then they will know.) That is negativity. When in my yard do things as I do. If I wanted to live like a muslim I would move to afghanistan, but you are in America so do things the American way.

December 27, 2012 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |