December 27th, 2012

Obama, Senate back in Washington as fiscal cliff deadline looms

Let the endgames begin.

After a Christmas holiday, President Barack Obama returned to Washington from Hawaii and the U.S. Senate reconvened Thursday as the deadline approached for going over the fiscal cliff of automatic tax hikes and spending cuts.

However, the House remained on Christmas break, with members warned they could be called back on 48 hours' notice if needed.

Hopes for a so-called grand bargain that would address the nation's chronic federal deficits and debt appeared dashed for now, with four days remaining to reach agreement on a smaller plan that would avoid the harshest effects of the fiscal cliff's tax increases and slashed spending.

With House Republicans unable to resolve the impasse, the focus shifted to the Democratic majority in the Senate to come up with a way forward that could pass the House and get signed into law by Obama.

Geithner: U.S. to hit debt ceiling Dec. 31

Consumer confidence dips on cliff fears

Will fiscal cliff hurt economy?

FULL STORY
  1. Hamsta

A longshoreman spends more time at home than he does at work. If i'm lucky I might get a week and a half of work during a month. Thats why longshoreman have so many side hustles

December 27, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Hamsta

As a matter of fact you can see it in my back ( I have scoliosis of the spine now) and my shoes.

December 27, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. chrissy

Sorry about the scoliosis, thats painful. And yea hamsta i have heard of robber barons, those are those l% you keep defending. Wouldnt you like to be paid what you deserve for your quality of work? If they have their way you wont!

December 27, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hamsta

You see chrissy there is a lot that other people don't understand. The higher ranking longshoreman get the better jobs. The union strike has made national news. The container contract is overpaid and the chump work I get is underpaid thanks to unions that are way more corrupt tgan the government is. The union doesn't even really catt even really care about the lower ranking guys like me. Becauae they go by percentage they make more money off of the higher ranking longshoreman. The problem is more with the union than with the companies. Be cause the high rankers get paid a lot more than I do they give the high rankers whatever they want. These high rankers make like $200,000 wheras I am lucky to pull in 30,000.

December 28, 2012 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

I was just kidding with you chrissy, its an old mechanics joke. Just be glad I didn't hit you with a raunchy one like " the horn blows, and so does the driver.) I understand that sometimes its hard to tell when I crack a joke because I don't joke much.

December 28, 2012 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

Hamsta, i know about kelvin kaigler remember? And my life is the furthest from perfect that i know! And yea when you call me names im gonna get defensive! Ive worked my butt off since i was i4 and i raised 5 kids by myself, and only 3 were mine, one severely mentally impaired and 2 were my sisters orphaned kids. I did it without assistance i might add! So i know hard work and hardship. And no stupid iphone either ty! Lol

December 27, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Lam The Mogul

Its a sad sad day when these people get paid to do absolutely nothing.

December 28, 2012 at 12:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Bad Ronald

Good night, good people.

December 28, 2012 at 1:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. mouth

Banasy is correct. America ISN'T a Chrisyian Nation at all, she only claims to be a Christian Nation.
    Like claiming to be very wealthy, while everyone knows your just deep in debt and that there's really nothing *special* about you.

December 28, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. chrissy

EXACTLY @ Christian nation, cuz if you were wealthy you wouldnt be blogging!

December 28, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. chrissy

Here blogging i meant.

December 28, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. the prophet

Much can come out of Zero, there is no way of measuring the power of Zero, no way to tell when, where, and how.

December 30, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. TvNyC

I am the most.inyelligenet person in the world. I think that the republicans are destroying this country and we should throw these bums out...especially Bohner and Reid, such negativity to this country!

December 30, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply